Choosing the correct Shock Travel

Haani

Hi All!

I've been doing some research about shocks and I learned that when purchasing shocks, you also have to decide on the shock travel you want.

I understand that is important if you have a lift and you want the shocks to match the extended length(to maintain stock compression during balanced load). But generally, how do you decide on the length of the shocks interms of maximum and minimum extensions?

When a car sits flat on all 4 tires, the shocks are being compressed to a slight degree. To my understanding, this is done so the suspension can flex under unbalanced loads to maintain traction.

Is there a "golden rule" as to what percentage of the total shock travel the compression should/can be when under a balanced load eg.when parked in the garage ?

Hope everyone's having a good summer!

Cheers,
Haani
Mohanad
Crew
Crew

emmm [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] can put some light here ..
If you Hesitate, Accelerate !
Kals
Intermediate
Intermediate

Usually from what I have noticed, is that long travel is mainly used for Baja and Rock crawling. Obviously the longer the travel that more adjustments you would need to do to the vehicle to accommodate that movement. However the one and only person who can give you a clearer image is [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention]
Truck driver
Oversized man child
Red GMC aka The Juggernaut killzonesmiley
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

I am no expert in shocks by any mean , all I can provide is my personal experience about this subject .
The shock has two main parts , the body ( tube ) and the shaft . When the shock is compressed the shaft goes inside the body . Usually the body is taller ( longer ) than the shaft as it should accommodate the full length of the shaft and it contains some other parts as well ( like the piston ).
The length of the shaft presents the difference is length between fully compressed and fully decompressed ( extended ) shock and that is the " shock travel " .
Usually is you fix a suspension lift kit you will get longer body shocks with same shaft length as stock ones and you end up with the same travel you had before lifting which is fine and acceptable for our normal offroading and dune bashing .
Other superior lifts designed for extreme rallies and rock Krawling demands more travel .
What goes around , comes around .
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

[quote=Kals post_id=48869 time=1533454854 user_id=11381]
Usually from what I have noticed, is that long travel is mainly used for Baja and Rock crawling. Obviously the longer the travel that more adjustments you would need to do to the vehicle to accommodate that movement. However the one and only person who can give you a clearer image is @Abu Jimm[mention]

Simple and straightforward answer , you are absolutely right .
What goes around , comes around .