Old Track

yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

We all gathered on meeting point (Al-Fagga) on time and after briefing, drive starts at sharp 8:30. It was a fast paced, technical and challenging drive. Driving at this level stretches and tests both cars and drivers limit, suspension set-up, driver experience, power and choice of 1st versus 2nd gear.
We had just one pop-out, one stuck and few second rounds. Ended up at Badayer shops on time sharp 11:30 as per schedule.
Thanks Ai Shamsi for the lead, Rashid for the sweep and Almost4x4 for arranging this drive.
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

In the morning, on the way to the meeting point, fog was dense, there was no need for a coffee as your brain keep questioning you... What is hiding behind the fog? Your eyes look like this :slow: And so your focus is on its extreme level. Windshield wipers on, it helps. Then you realize that most of the driver forgot to use their fog lights that they usually use to decorate their car during night on Dubai roads.

This was for me the first drive in the big boys league where we had a "play style" drive. At this stage, I remember what marshals told us at the CM drive "your car is more advanced than you" this is so true when you realize that after your upgrade to intermediate, all your drives in newbie helped to learn your car and learn how to control your car and the more you practice your car the safer you are.

The track chosen by M. Al Shamsi is so fun. We had all kind of terrain; similar to CM drive terrain, Eggs in the Basket game technical dunes then the typical Al Faqaa and al Badayer dunes. Mixing different kind of terrain in one drive needs a lot of focus, we had to adjust the distance between cars all the time.

This day was very long for some of us as we were sitting in our cars seat from 7am till around 9pm... to attend more that one drive. And to summarize; I spent a really great morning with great drivers. A drive that deserve all the patience being a newbie. A real enjoyment tackling dune after dune.

Keep the golden sand in the air :thumbsup:

Cheers
ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thanks Bu Salem, it may be an ‘old track’, but it’s certainly a good track and one to repeat!

Everyone did really well and enjoyed the nice mix of high dunes and small technical dunes.
If I may, here are a couple of observations:

1. Radios. We have to remember to use our radios, and not forget to immediately report a second-round, stuck or pop-out using the correct ‘voice procedure’ Eg “Ginger second round “
2. Correct distance. As was mentioned in the briefing, we should constantly adjust our speed throughout the drive to keep a safe distance, as this was not a steady safari-style drive.

a. There were instances of huge distances (50m +) between cars. In this case it’s necessary to learn to ‘catch up’ when it’s possible to do so, eg on the flat.
b. There were also instances of cars being far too close (4 or 5 m). In this case it’s a question of being more patient and holding-back (it’s not Sheikh Zayed Road!) so as not to put both cars into danger.

Many thanks to all the organisers for another great trip.
Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

It was foggy in the morning and we were late a bit because of that (excuses, excuses :P)...

There is nothing much to say, a breathless drive for me with everything as mentioned above. I had a couple of second tries, some of them due to not keeping enough distance but i hope i learned from them :)

The pace and the type of driving is really different when you become intermediate and this was a nice sample to understand it. Demanding more in all aspects but promising more fun for sure. As a fresh intermediate i was glad to catch the pace and experience the improvement in my skills. If any fellow newbies are reading this, just be patient cause when you get your upgrade you will understand it worths waiting for.

Thanks [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] for the awesome lead on an awesome track and all the awesome drivers for the great drive.

See you soon again...

Cheers...

P.S. : I could not put a drive summary this time as i don't have available space for attachments or i am doing something wrong i don't know.
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

[video=youtube;j7hpajPercU][/video]
yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

Please find below Megatron in action:

[video=youtube_share;O32vCVSWlaI][/video]
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi Everyone

Sorry for for the delay in my report.

It was great to meet up with some Old Freinds to do The Old Track drive.
The track was almost the same as the one we did >2 years ago for my Int - Adv Test.

The track gave us everything. Small technical stuff, big flowing runs and a morning of good old fun.

The new Int drivers did well. There were a few 2nd tries, but not too many.
It is easy to forget how much you have learned.....

Thanks Shamsi for a great morning, it was great to drive with you again, it has been too long.

regards
Paul
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

[RIGHT]
:like:

[/RIGHT]