Pajero Super Select 4WD system and desert off-roading

m_domiati
Club Member
Club Member

Hello,

I'm looking for specific information about the Pajero 4WD system. If you're not familiar with it, there are 4 settings:

- 2H: 2 wheel drive (rear)
- 4H: 4 wheel drive (dynamic 33:67 to 50/50 front/rear torque split)
- 4HLC: 4 wheel drive (50/50 torque split) with a locked center differential
- 4LLC: 4 wheel drive with a locked center differential and low gear (loads of torque!)

My question is, what is the best strategy for driving on soft desert sand? Should I primarily use 4HLC and only use 4LLC when stuck? Or is it better to use 4LLC from the get go to avoid get stuck in the first place? Would using low gear for an extended period of time strain the engine?

I ventured off the tarmac for the first time yesterday in Wadi Al Amardi, stayed near the main road though as I was on my own. I deflated to 15 psi and used 4HLC. I was good for a while but then I felt like I was starting to dig in, so I deflated a bit more to 12 psi and switched to low gear, didn't encounter any problems after that.

Was it the 3 psi that made the difference or was it the low gear?

I appreciate any advice from Pajero drivers or any experienced offroaders. Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Mo
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

I am not an expert of Pajero but 4H or 4HLC should be enough for normal driving in the desert. Low gear is mostly used for self recovery or in the big drops for engine breaking.

Yes the tire pressure and size are one of the most important things. Start with 12 and you can reduce it down to 10 when you have more experience (Even further down sometimes) but your tire size is also important (Ultimately its all about the area of footprint of your tires against the weight of the car) . Also it will go higher after you drive a while due to increase of temperature of air in the tire.So you should check it .

The gear you are using is not the main reason of digging the sand and getting stuck . In general if you are digging on flat ground its about your footprint(tire pressure) if its during climbing etc its about learning how to climb the dunes and making your car float on the sand using its momentum.

Don't go desert alone.(This is from a person who was going alone in the beginning but when you get more experience you see the risks better :) ) Wait for the CM drive in the newbie trips and read the forums . There are plenty of answers to the same questions. And you will learn much more by driving with the club in a very short time.

Even 0,5 PSI might make a difference depending on the level you drive. :)

Regards
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31
Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Mo,
I understand you have a 3.5 version. As I am an old pajero owner I remember that in 3.5 there is no switch to turn off the traction control. It only disengages automatically when you switch to low gear. Did you observe it kick in when you were driving in 4H? It will definitely effect your traction on sand in negative way. My friends who were using 3.5 were adding a kill switch for traction control which is mandatory for pajero, at least to get rid of one disadvantage. Don't recommend you to use 4L all the time as it will give too much load to your transmission. One more thing, be careful with the famous back bumper scoop :)
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18
m_domiati
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks guys. [MENTION=9783]Daggerfall[/MENTION], noted. I hope there's a CM drive soon :) [MENTION=3080]Agalon[/MENTION], I'm not sure to be honest if traction control was kicking in or if the tire pressure was too high (I still can't tell the difference), but yeah, I should probably look into adding a kill switch. I was hoping that I could use low gear to keep traction control disengaged but looks like it's not a good idea to stay in low gear for an extended period of time.
LarenJohn
Club Member
Club Member

15 PSI and 12 PSI may not seem like a big difference. but it makes a huge difference
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

m_domiati;44716 wrote:Thanks guys. @Daggerfall, noted. I hope there's a CM drive soon :) @Agalon, I'm not sure to be honest if traction control was kicking in or if the tire pressure was too high (I still can't tell the difference), but yeah, I should probably look into adding a kill switch. I was hoping that I could use low gear to keep traction control disengaged but looks like it's not a good idea to stay in low gear for an extended period of time.
As [MENTION=3080]Agalon[/MENTION] mentioned there is no traction control switch, but there is a sensor on front left wheel. You just climb under your car and disconnect the cable for a desert drive and the traction control will be off.
BTW later you will realize that your wife will get a gift, your Pajero, as this car is absolutely not suitable for off-roading, due to software logic and vulnerable sensors underneath. The car thinks that is smarter as you and is getting control over what you want to do.
m_domiati
Club Member
Club Member

caprihorse;44724 wrote:As @Agalon mentioned there is no traction control switch, but there is a sensor on front left wheel. You just climb under your car and disconnect the cable for a desert drive and the traction control will be off.
BTW later you will realize that your wife will get a gift, your Pajero, as this car is absolutely not suitable for off-roading, due to software logic and vulnerable sensors underneath. The car thinks that is smarter as you and is getting control over what you want to do.
I reckon the Pajero will server me well until I get to intermediate level, after that, I better get married!
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

m_domiati;44726 wrote:I reckon the Pajero will server me well until I get to intermediate level, after that, I better get married!
Remember my words at your first trips, it will combination of her and you, why it will take a bit longer :ORLY:
eyadorabi
Club Member
Club Member

Hello. I am Eyad. I have a Pajero 3.8 L v6 LWB. Any beginner rides planned ahead?
Mohammad
Advance
Advance

[MENTION=10729]eyadorabi[/MENTION] There is a club member drive posted earlier http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... #post45148 but it already full. try your luck on the waiting list in case someone withdraw. Club drive happens every 6 to 8 weeks and it is mandatory for new club members..
Good Luck