Ridges Game

salhinai
Advance
Advance

The drive was full of fun. Tackling the ridges compained with the soft sand made it all the more interesting. It was simply a nice exciting day, it was a pleasure seeing everyone well. Thanks to yoghybear, Fida and Dave for marshaling the event. Thanks to all participants too.
Dave
Advance
Advance

Ridges Game turned out to be one of my most favourite drives of the season so far. Three reasons for this. Firstly because it was located in an area new to me, Nahel, just off the the E20 between the E66 and Sweihan. Secondly because the weather was almost perfect with clear blue skies, little wind, great visibility and relatively cool temperatures. And finally we had such a perfectly sized group of 10 friendly, punctual and enthusiastic drivers.

We set off on Swiss punctuality at 8am sharp from the local Adnoc and drove 10 minutes to the deflation point. [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION] was lead truck, [MENTION=1820]fida[/MENTION] sweep and [MENTION=1716]salhinai[/MENTION] was told he could do as he pleased! I was asked to be second lead, which being a little rusty after a months break from driving was hard work for the first hour till I got back into the swing of things again! As [MENTION=9649]matts[/MENTION] stated, if you were 30cm off the correct line you found your 4x4 traveling down the wrong side of the very sharp soft crests! Twice my Patrol didn't want to follow the monster Ram and went off in its own direction and once it failed to climb a relatively small but powder like dune completely.

Not it to be outdone [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION] did have to select reverse more than once as even the soft sand surprised himself. Plus there were many small bowls just big enough to hold one 4x4 inside making it a challenging self recovery. Almost every driver near the front had to make at least one second round but it was all part of the fun. From the photo's I posted you can gather two bits of information. The area was beautiful and almost all track free. And every member had a huge smile on their face. Even [MENTION=2551]ginger[/MENTION] was kind enough to leave the nuts at home and stick with the mandarin oranges. As a result he drove far better than the last trip we shared!!

We finished up at around 11 30am just outside Sweihan town. With minimal breaks, no pop outs, and very few recoveries required it really was a quality drive. I was sad it was over but as I was flying to Australia in little over 12 hours I returned home very satisfied with my day! I suspect many drivers will return there again on a private drive or maybe a Ridges Game Part Two will be posted before the winter season finishes.....hint hint [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION]!

On a side note I would just like to applaud the efforts of the "management team" for posting so many trips at all levels over the last few months. This time last year I was having a moan about the lack of Intermediate drives compared to a Newbie trip being posted. I was getting even more thumps down than usual!! This season there is a much better balance between all levels and a much higher percentage of drives being offered! It's much appreciated by all.

Thanks again [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION], [MENTION=1820]fida[/MENTION] , [MENTION=1716]salhinai[/MENTION] and all my fellow drivers for a really enjoyable drive together.
Mohammad
Advance
Advance

[MENTION=8472]Dave[/MENTION] from your report it seems I am missing lots of fun and I agree on your hint hint for [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION] but I think we should wait for you till you come back from Sydney then from future Europe trip to be fully recovered from Jet lack which means in 2 weeks time .. hint hint.
Eric
Advance
Advance

Checking on the map, I initially thought that Nahel would be similar to Sweihan, which I had driven a few weeks earlier for the first time. But it was not like Sweihan at all. The crests were sharper and the sand softer and powdery at places. The second reason, it was different was the driving style @yogybear in the lead dished up. It was tricky to keep the car on top of these sharp, soft and long ridges. Tyre placement and momentum becomes very important.

It was a great drive, a new driving experience and lots of fun. I felt after the drive that I had learned a lot.

Thanks to all the leaders for another great drive with Almost 4x4.
fadi
Intermediate
Intermediate

Very nice trip and this time the victim was me :059: got stuck 2 times one by overestimating myself and my humble ride and the second while doing self recovery and going backwards to take momentum and going into a small ditch...Thank you guys for your help. Videos are coming soon.
fadi
Intermediate
Intermediate

[video=youtube;zJeIvbSNyTQ][/video]
fadi
Intermediate
Intermediate

[video=youtube;0cfdTzNOh0g][/video]