Trying to get equipment to become Newbie

Fats25

I have read this:-

http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... check-list.

Also read a post from Yoghybear on equipment needed. I now have everything - but a few items, which I have questions on:-

1) What is a rated hook? I have purchased the Heavy Duty Snatch Kit from ACE, and that has the strap, and shackles, but no hook. Can you advise what this is please?

2) The flag pole I am struggling to find anywhere. I spent two hours in dragon mart at the weekend, with no success. I drive a Raptor and live in Dubai. Ideally I want the suction mount and flag pole so I don't have to drill in anywhere. Any idea where to purchase from?

3) Also struggling with the FRS/GMRS radio(s). I have not found anywhere sells them - however am in the US later this week, so plan on picking up from there. Will something like this be sufficient? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Midland-FRS-G ... k/11015293 Or am I buying cheap, and buying twice?

If someone could advise it would be much appreicated.

Thanks
matts
Intermediate
Intermediate

Dragonmart can be a bit of a nightmare if you dont know exactly where you are going.

The hook, you can buy from speedex, I had the exact same question see here: http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... ok+speedex

The radio, you definitely dont want those ones as they're not programmable for our specific frequencies. I got my radio (Motorola 338+) from shop BAI 05-13 (Sheng da trading) towards the front end of dragon mart.

Suction cup also came from speedex and my cheapo flag came from some random shop in the middle of dragon mart which sells small quad bikes. Sorry I cant be more specific on that one. One of the other raptor guys might have a better solution for you though.
Fats25

Thanks for reply.

Where is this Speedex place you talk of? I did head to the ARB off road place - but that was next to useless. The hook piece now makes sense to me, and for the flag I guess I will try DragonMart again - not looking forward to it! Is there no-where else that sells them? I would rather pay 100AED, than 20AED and have to go to DM!

The radios I am confused with. I did see radios in DragonMart, but was a bit wary of them. I know nothing of radios, but was under the impression from the original link I posted (ahttp://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... check-list.) s long as it was FRS/GMRS - it would work? Is that not the case?

Thanks
matts
Intermediate
Intermediate

Two speedex I know of, one in Al Quoz and one in Dubai Investment Park.

DIP: https://www.google.ae/maps/place/Speede ... 449c?hl=en

Al Quoz: https://www.google.ae/maps/place/Speede ... 2966?hl=en

On the flag, yep Adventure HQ in Times SQ Mall have them as well as most of the offroad shops, Ramy, Icon Auto, AEV which are all quite close to each other in Al Quoz, you can find them easily in google maps.

No worries on the radios, I was clueless until I started looking into it, the FRS/GMRS thing is a bit misleading in that post. We work in the same frequency range as FRS/GMRS but not on the specific frequencies identified by FRS. Club frequency is typically 444.250 which isnt one of the FRS channels. You want one in this kind of range 403-470 MHz the different models vary at the upper and lower end of that scale.
matts
Intermediate
Intermediate

ps I forgot to mention, radios are actually illegal here without a licence so Dragonmart is about the only place you can buy them. And I wouldnt recommend bringing a set in with your luggage, you might get them through, you might not.
Red Baron
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hey Fats25,

1. Recovery rope with hook - if you speak to one of our marshals they will give you a better idea, I bought mine from almost 4x4 garage in sharjah, it comes in pack with 2 SS shackles, a hook and gloves. you will get them in nice carry bag with our club logo. Marshals will not come and advise this as they do not do or like to do marketing here. So this is just passing known information. (I would highly recommend this one, good investment)

2. Shovel: Do not get a folding one, you will not get approved. Buy the one from Ace.

3. Radio: This is a must. I bought mine from Dragon Mart. Very common one in the club also. "CRONY CN-888". So far so good. and you can program it and comes with a car charger. which you must have.

4. Flag and the pole: Just get suction cups from Ace or Dragon Mart. Buy a flag from dragon mart as [MENTION=9649]matts[/MENTION] advise for now. When you meet the marshals or someone who has a raptor, get an idea from them and fix a good one. There might be mounting brackets available.

5. Make sure you have a 2 TON or above trolly jack with base plate. (wood piece). - If you haven't already bought this, you can get this from almost garage as well. Highly recommend this one also.

6. Air compressor - Buy the camel brand (red color) single compressor from dragon mart. Approved and works well.

I think I gave more than you have asked in the discussion, I had so much of trouble finding the right equipment until I talk to one of the marshals. They helped me through.

Good Luck

R.B
R.B
Fats25

Thanks Red Baron for the advice. I believe I now have everthing I need, and am hoping to do the equipment check at the run on Friday.

All being good - I will be done for now!

Glad I decided to not get the folding shovel, as I very nearly went for it!
Duli

Hi [MENTION=10099]Fats25[/MENTION].

Welcome to the club and all the best for your first drive.

I drive an F150 and i could suggest you the below.

For the flag pole, visit Best line garage in Ghusais and meet Shibu. He can sort you out with a flag pole as well as a mount. You will not require any drilling in the body. (At first even I thought that would require drilling) but the F150 and Raptors come with a gap on the top of the bed lining. You wont see it due to the side covers. They just made a small hole thru the side cover and fitted in the mounting. (Nothing is done to the body in any way).

I used to have the suction cup with the thin flag pole and it was just a pain. It usually used to fall out unless I taped it around. You will notice our black glass is not flat so it doesnt work well with the suction cups.

As Red Baron suggested a 2ton or above. I would recommend only 3Ton + for our cars. A 2 ton will not lift our trucks and if you are successul in lifting the truck you will also risk injury as it wont hold long.

For the radio and hook, our other members have already assisted you with the info :)

Have fun n Tc