Solo Bats 3.0

ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

Solo Bats 3.0 was a ‘drive with a big difference’: this was a night drive in which we were given GPS coordinates and had to navigate (with a radio blackout) on our own from point to point , all meeting at Iftar Bowl.
I got to Al Badayer shops early, with the usual concerns over night-driving heightened by the fear of having to lead myself and make sure I could remember how to set up a Route on the GPS!

Being the only Intermediate in the drive I was pleased that Bu Salem had ‘taken pity’ on me, and I was given an easier set of 7 coordinates! Armin had sensibly advised me to treat the event as less of a race and more of a challenge to finish it safely!
I had a couple of self-recoveries and a few small incidents, but generally managed surprisingly well, but it meant I was the last to arrive at Iftar Bowl. Also near point 5 I realised that I felt a bit sick with a headache. This I identified as dehydration, given that we had 95 % humidity and hence constant perspiration. I stopped, wound up the windows, set the AC to full , took rehydration salts and plenty of water. I soon recovered and finished the course. It was however a big lesson in being properly aware of dehydration, and of course the bigger danger of heat exhaustion. I would strongly suggest that everyone carry rehydration salts in their first aid kits (the ones I use are called Prolyte).

Meeting at Iftar Bowl, we chitchatted and shared food, Bu Salem bringing some wonderful dates covered in flour.
Hockey many thanks for the ‘entertaining drive’ back from Iftar Bowl to Al Badayer!

A great challenge, and afterwards a huge sense of achievement. Many thanks to all the organisers.
Dave
Advance
Advance

Great trip report [MENTION=2551]ginger[/MENTION]. Although there must be something darkly humorous to someone passing out mid drive as your report did bring a smile to my face but of course there is a far more serious side to this. About once a year in the region we get reports of both bikers and off roaders getting stuck or falling off bikes unable to get things moving again. Not all of them actually make it out. Lack of water and heat exhaustion get the better of them. It does highlight how foolish it really is to travel off for a solo drive at this time of the year when temperatures are so extreme. For both man and machine.

Nice also to actually "read" a trip report. There are far too many video's posted with careful editing and music which all blend into one after a while. It's far more educational and informative reading someone's insight into a particular drive. Sure. Compliment it with a "short" video or photo but try put "pen to paper" as such! Glad you managed to survive the event!!
Zorro
Advance
Advance

An interesting trip indeed

It's been a while since the last solo drive. Almost too long, as I could barely remember how to use the GPS

Starting and ending point are quite familiar, started from badayer shops and ended at super bowl, which was then changed to iftar bowl. However due to poor radio reception I got to know that only after reaching super bowl. Anyway, was good fun driving there and back

I was the second to set off, after Ginger, and I said to my self "take it easy, No hazardous moves", and guess what. Within 5 minutes after starting I got crested in a pretty ridiculous way, while trying to figure out where the GPS was pointing, I could literally still see the shops XD what more could go wrong?? Well, I couldn't find my shovel and was short on drinks. After trying every possible trick with 4L, hand brake, etc, and moving sand with my hands and feet I got it out in just half an hour! I the mean time I basically saw everyone pass by in the distance

After that small incident I woke up and stopped with that "take it easy" nonsense and started having some good fun till super bowl and back to Iftar

Once reached the end point we had some tasty food and headed back to inflate. Even managed to get some sleep for the newbee drive later in the morning!

Thanks all, was fun! Let's do it more often!!