General consensus on beadlocks for desert driving

Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

Hi.

Anyone have any further experience with beadlock rims? It looks convenient if you can go down to 5-7 PSI since the tire pressure makes drastic difference on sand.

Regards
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

Daggerfall;40351 wrote:Hi.

Anyone have any further experience with beadlock rims? It looks convenient if you can go down to 5-7 PSI since the tire pressure makes drastic difference on sand.

Regards
Dear Daggerfall,

You may ask our dear marshal Yoghybear. He has experience with beadlock rims.

Best Regards
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

Needs lots of knowledge to fix , install them & even more effort to maintain , re-tighten and re-balance constantly . Its easier & cheaper to get a no pop out driving skills .

Watch this .
What goes around , comes around .
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Daggerfall;40351 wrote:Hi.

Regards

I usually drive with 7-8 psi with normal wheels

Practicing not to get a pop out is the best way to not get a pop out. Much cheaper as well.

Cheers
Yoghybear
Golden Member
Golden Member

I full agree with Abu Jimmy and Strawb, first of all you have to learn how to drive than you can think about beadlock rims.
Just for your info, I put beadlock on my car once I was already marshal.....
Keep in mind that beadlock rims allow you to reach extreme situation, but you must be able to reach the extreme.....second important thing is that the maintenance is hard work and expensive. Just as an example, change a simple valve on a normal rim it takes 3 minutes and cost probably 20 aed, change a valve in a beadlock rim it takes half an hour and cost you much more.
Last but not least, if you are looking for beadlock rims only to avoid popout you are on the wrong way.....
Cheers
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

Hi.

I am running my tires (Cooper HT) around 9-10 PSI and never had any pop-out so far (With my existing pace of course, I don't know what will happen when the level goes up).And what I understand so far was the tire pressure is one of the most important (Maybe the number one) tool you can use to increase your grip drastically. So I was wondering how I can go further down (5-6) securely if I need. (Yes I want to go extreme :) )

Beadlock was an option but what I understand from you guys it is also possible to go down without them with improving your driving skills which has less consequences.

Thanks to all for the advise.

Regards

Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

strawb;40356 wrote:I usually drive with 7-8 psi with normal wheels

Practicing not to get a pop out is the best way to not get a pop out. Much cheaper as well.

Cheers
Hi.

I am assuming that you dont have much pop-outs even with those pressures so one more question.

There is an upper and lower limit which a tire can fit to a wheel so which one is it in your case ? My tires can fit into 7-9 inch (width) wheel and mines are 7 (Lower limit)

My theory is since the tires does not come out during "pop-out" but detach from the wheel smaller width might be the better or something in between since this is also putting to much stress on the sidewalls.

Any opinions?

Thanks

strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Daggerfall;40363 wrote:Hi.

I am assuming that you dont have much pop-outs even with those pressures so one more question.

There is an upper and lower limit which a tire can fit to a wheel so which one is it in your case ? My tires can fit into 7-9 inch (width) wheel and mines are 7 (Lower limit)

My theory is since the tires does not come out during "pop-out" but detach from the wheel smaller width might be the better or something in between since this is also putting to much stress on the sidewalls.

Any opinions?

Thanks
Hi daggerfall

pop outs are basically a simple result of fighting gravity.

Number 1 rule in desert driving is NEVER fight gravity. Im not saying that we never get pop outs but the more you practice the more you would understand why the pop outs happen.

Understanding why the pop out occured is the best way to avoid them. Its not because of the wheels or tires. its because unnecessary force and pressure where put on the side walls forcing the tire to pop out.

This and understanding the right tire pressure should help you avoid pop outs in the future

hope this helps.

cheers
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

Daggerfall;40363 wrote:Hi.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Absolutely correct in theory ( pure physics ) , nevertheless difference in real practice is minimal and almost unnoticeable .
What goes around , comes around .
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

strawb;40368 wrote:Hi daggerfall

pop outs are basically a simple result of fighting gravity.

Number 1 rule in desert driving is NEVER fight gravity. Im not saying that we never get pop outs but the more you practice the more you would understand why the pop outs happen.

Understanding why the pop out occured is the best way to avoid them. Its not because of the wheels or tires. its because unnecessary force and pressure where put on the side walls forcing the tire to pop out.

hope this helps.

cheers
Hi,

Thanks . I understand that the tire and wheel is not the only element that cause pop-out but mostly how you drive.

I am just trying to understand how this tire & wheel combination affects this issue to reduce the risk. I think different combinations will have different results.

Thanks