Back to the Future

Mark B
Golden Member
Golden Member

Back to the Future

For me, this was the best trip so far. It was fast and challenging. I did, however, manage to get stuck 60 seconds into the trip. Embarrassing to get stuck within sight of the shops. Sorry fellow Drivers, especially Agalon for blocking you., I was following too closely behind Rita and had to trade momentum for safety and could not recover. Thanks for the recovery Rashidjass. Yoghy ran a fast pace trip zig zagging through the dunes. The GoPro video shows the full convoy snaking back and forth behind us. The face of the dunes were soft making great practice in managing drifting. We ran plenty of crests and even got some Jeep skiing in.

Al Shamsi and Yoghy were kind enough to stop the convoy for a couple of times for a reminder of the things we should know in 5+ drives. Thanks to both for keeping us in line.

Running the Jeep in the terrain on this trip made me think that I could use more low end torque. In first gear at low RPMs I could use more zip. Once the RPM starts to climb a bit I get plenty of torque, but I feel it is taking too much time to ramp up the RPM. Wonder if there is still some traction control still at work, even when the fuse is pulled (Hope I am pulling the right fuse). I'll do some research.

Mazen Melhem, a new Club Member, joined me as a passenger (not a paying customer, Al Shamsi). He had a great time. Look for a brand new Black JK on the next Club Member trip and welcome him to the Almost family. He had a great time.

I find that with this trip my confidence in the vehicle is getting better. It is getting easier to watch the terrain and the two vehicles in front at the same time. It is like learning to drive all over, eventually things become automatic. I find I am not watching the 10 M in front of the vehicle, but watching the vehicle in front and maneuvering the Jeep based on how that vehicle passed over that spot.

Rita struggled in a small bowl and I though for sure that a Viking rope would be needed, but Marshal Al Khatib hopped in the drivers seat and in 15 seconds had her JK out. I was amazed. I got to learn that maneuver. Makes you want to get stuck just to figure out it works. Another FJ got wedged in the same bowl, but being a bigger vehicle it was like a cork in a bottle. I never seen exhaust bubbling up from the sand before. Rashidjass's Viking rope came out of the trunk for that rescue. Great learning experience for all.

With everybody back on the track again, we headed out for another good run of dune faces and crests. Yoghy threw in a few "up and over" the dune maneuvers for good measure. The added speed at the end made it easier in the soft sand for with the extra momentum the Jeep stuck to the sand like a gekko to the wall.

Back at the Shops for some inflation and conversation. Great trip all round. Thanks all my fellow drivers and thanks to the Marshals for yet another great morning in the sand. Could have stayed out all day. Cannot wait for next time.