Gps mio 500

bijubs

Dear Team,
will any one suggest me below :-
i am using mio classic 500 GPS, i had checked all possible ways to drive with this in off road but disappointed, can we re-install any new software or change software to a new level to work in off road drives perfectly ?
if not what other devise will work perfectly to use all type of off roading as on today's tech developments ? Does i phone apps good ? or any professional GPS system ?
pls advise.
Grate day ahead to all almost4x4
yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

Dear [MENTION=2067]bijubs[/MENTION],

Kindly refer below thread for off-road GPS selection:
http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... tion-Guide
yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

bijubs;37501 wrote:Dear Team,
Does i phone apps good ?
pls advise.
Grate day ahead to all almost4x4
Dear [MENTION=2067]bijubs[/MENTION],

iPhone / androide apps are good and they works for most of the cases but first you must understand that how it works and what are there drawback.

1. iPhone/ Androide uses A-GPS, Assisted GPS works on the principal to receive position data from cellular network towers. i.e. cell phone receives position information from network and if you are out of the network then will not be able to locate your position.
Location determined via A-GPS are less accurate than GPS. I personally use at many occasions and found that can't totally trust on it if driving Solo.

Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

As [MENTION=2336]yasir[/MENTION] mentioned there is a topic in the forum related with GPS devices pros and cons of various types. As an alternative, i have an android device which has a GPS chip and i'm using an app called OruxMaps with offline maps (http://www.oruxmaps.com/index_en.html). It works fine and accurate for my needs at the moment while off-roading. Even i participated in the last Eggs in a Basket Challenge (which GPS is a must to attend) and personally was satisfied with it's assistance.
Off course having a dedicated device like Garmin Montana etc. would be preferable but till getting one in hand, i believe this is a good option. Unfortunately it is for Android only so no version for Apple devices. Just my 2 cents...

Regards.
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18
bijubs

yasir;37518 wrote:Dear @bijubs,

iPhone / androide apps are good and they works for most of the cases but first you must understand that how it works and what are there drawback.

1. iPhone/ Androide uses A-GPS, Assisted GPS works on the principal to receive position data from cellular network towers. i.e. cell phone receives position information from network and if you are out of the network then will not be able to locate your position.
Location determined via A-GPS are less accurate than GPS. I personally use at many occasions and found that can't totally trust on it if driving Solo.

Dear Yasir,

thanks a lot for advise , yes AGps , and GPS having good difference thats a best info for me like people , thanks a lot i feel after reading your and Agaion 's comments better go for a gramin which support off road activities as mention in forum as well. thanks guys for helping to suggest a GPS ..

GOOD DAY !!!
bijubs

Agalon;37519 wrote:As @yasir mentioned there is a topic in the forum related with GPS devices pros and cons of various types. As an alternative, i have an android device which has a GPS chip and i'm using an app called OruxMaps with offline maps (http://www.oruxmaps.com/index_en.html). It works fine and accurate for my needs at the moment while off-roading. Even i participated in the last Eggs in a Basket Challenge (which GPS is a must to attend) and personally was satisfied with it's assistance.
Off course having a dedicated device like Garmin Montana etc. would be preferable but till getting one in hand, i believe this is a good option. Unfortunately it is for Android only so no version for Apple devices. Just my 2 cents...

Regards.
Dear Agaion, thanks for assistance , i shall try both let me find out the phone hardware is provided by GPS OR AGPS.