F150 XLT (4dr) vs Pajero 3.8 Fully loaded - which is best option for desert?

Chuckster
Club Member
Club Member

It's comparing apples and oranges, but can anyone advise on which option would be best for a family of 4 to go desert driving in?

We took both the Pajero and the F150 for a drive the other day, on the road the F150 felt superior in terms of power and cabin space, but is it any good in the desert? A few people have said it's too heavy......obviously it's longer wheel base than the Pajero so cresting is likely to be challenging....

Thanks!

Chuckster
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hi Chuck

I see people driving both cars in our club and I will give you my observation :

1. Generally both need to be upgraded if you want to go for Intemediate level

2. F150 will be good for big dunes but it is difficult for technical because of the length & watch out for you bumpers
3. Pajero has too much plastic , you need to read about it in one of our threads by Strawb but you can

Finally it is all about the driver not the car

Regards
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Adnan
Advance
Advance

In term of off road ride, I'd humbly categorize it into 3 main check list categories :
1- powerful engine and gear box.
2- short wheel basis.
3- safety features.
then you may add other options you may prefer ( I. E. Passengers seats, fuel tank capacity, maintenance cost, brand, price.,,,,,,, etc)
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Both of the cars you mentioned are in the same price range of the 2014 jeep wrangler unlimited ..... just saying :yaeh am not durnk:
zeemmee

strawb;31975 wrote:Both of the cars you mentioned are in the same price range of the 2014 jeep wrangler unlimited ..... just saying :yaeh am not durnk:
+100000
BettyPo
Advance
Advance

The F-150 is defo not made for small technically dunes but anything is possible. Replacements are cheaper on a Pajero...just saying ;-)
I agree with Bu Salem here, in most cases it is the driver!
Chuckster
Club Member
Club Member

Ladies, Gents, thanks for your responses.

To surmise - New Pajero tends to loose bits (but cheap to fix), F150 not suited to small dunes, but either vehicle capable in moderate terrain with a competent driver.....but anything challenging will require modifications.....

Adnan, great summary, I can't see a short wheel base being an option with family of 4 plus camping kit - any suggestions?

Look like I need to take the Jeep Unlimited for a test drive - anyone with any Jeep sales contacts in Abu Dhabi (or know where to source the best deals in UAE)?

Thanks

Chuckster
Duli

Chuckster;31987 wrote:It's a good looking beast - how much do they go for? This 4 dr was not really on my radar, but now you mention it I'll investigate.....thanks!
Hi Chuckster - The F-150 XLT chrome edition goes for 140k. but currently they only have 2013 models. the XLT without chrome comes for 130K. (Both are supercabs - 4door)

2014 models will hit the showrooms sometime in March.
I would suggest if you are planning to go for the F-150 HURRY!!! they only have 2 cars in stock for the chrome (as I booked 1) :yum:and 3 without the chrome.

I really liked it :like:
Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

Chuckster;31987 wrote:Ladies, Gents, thanks for your responses.

To surmise - New Pajero tends to loose bits (but cheap to fix), F150 not suited to small dunes, but either vehicle capable in moderate terrain with a competent driver.....

Look like I need to take the Jeep Unlimited for a test drive - anyone with any Jeep sales contacts in Abu Dhabi (or know where to source the best deals in UAE)?

Thanks

Chuckster
Hi Chuckster,

1 week ago we checked with trading ent. in Dubai for 2014 sport unlimited. The base price for the car was 129500 dhs if i'm not mistaken. 15000 dhs downpayment for financing which is low. With 5 year installment and additional features like tinting, 60k service (if i remember correct), 2 years cash back guarantee, 1 year on road/ off road insurance, 5 year 24/7 on/off road recovery service for free the monthly payment was around 2500 dhs. I think the deal is pretty good.
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18
Mubz

Sorry if this is off the topic but I think its slightly related.

Some / Most of us have 2 cars one for off road and one for on road the reason is that things can go wrong on road and off road, more chances are that it will be off-road specially when you are a over confident newbie and you think you can do anything that experienced drivers can.

My personal experience everyone witnessed a small mistake and I was without the car both ( on rad and off road) for over a month while mine was getting fixed. but this is what I signed up for when I decided to take my car to dessert.

Now I have 2 cars (Range Rover) which I use everyday with confidence that it wont break on road. and one cheap one ( Jeep Cherokee XJ) which I only drive on Fridays and I know it wont break in the dessert and if it does I have 6 days to fix it ( for the next drive) without having problem while going to work as I have another car.

So do think about it this can be an option.