Ten stupid things the men do,,,,,,,,,,,,

dkhouri
Club Member
Club Member

What about starting in gear, should we always be starting in gear when in sand? I've never actually started in gear on my Wrangler JK and I think it would just stall unless it's on 1st or 2nd gear in 4L.
FSL

dkhouri;15642 wrote:What about starting in gear, should we always be starting in gear when in sand?
i don't think this makes any difference or of any advantage.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

dkhouri;15642 wrote:What about starting in gear, should we always be starting in gear when in sand? I've never actually started in gear on my Wrangler JK and I think it would just stall unless it's on 1st or 2nd gear in 4L.
I'm interested to hear more from you, what exactly you mean by "starting in gear"?
dkhouri
Club Member
Club Member

caprihorse;15648 wrote:I'm interested to hear more from you, what exactly you mean by "starting in gear"?
I was referring to what Duck Commander mentioned:
Duck Commander;1972 wrote: • 4 using the clutch the same way as on pavement
(if you don't know what "starting in gear" means and you still use the clutch to regulate speed )
I wasn't sure what that meant so I googled it earlier and from what I understand, "starting in gear" refers to when you shift to 1st gear then start the engine without depressing the clutch pedal. I just remembered that my Wrangler won't even start if I don't depress the clutch pedal, though.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

dkhouri;15660 wrote:I was referring to what Duck Commander mentioned:

I wasn't sure what that meant so I googled it earlier and from what I understand, "starting in gear" refers to when you shift to 1st gear then start the engine without depressing the clutch pedal. I just remembered that my Wrangler won't even start if I don't depress the clutch pedal, though.
If you are still sure that you have manual transmission, your Wrangler will move with a little jump, when turning start key on and having any gear engaged, without depressing clutch. Normally we used this technique to jump out in the snow, as rescue, but rarely in the sand.
Bulbous
Club Member
Club Member

caprihorse;15663 wrote:If you are still sure that you have manual transmission, your Wrangler will move with a little jump, when turning start key on and having any gear engaged, without depressing clutch. Normally we used this technique to jump out in the snow, as rescue, but rarely in the sand.
I think that you will find that some Wranglers have an interlock fitted that disables the starter when the clutch is NOT depressed. Some sort of safety feature that ignores the possibility that you may want to do it deliberately.
Maddie

caprihorse;4051 wrote:You forgot one point:
Driving with engaged hand brake ! It sounds ridiculous, but it happens all the time. Recently we had this smell from brake shift at Pink Rock :)

Point 10 is also very funny... You notice this just at the moment, when your rear part is behaving strangely and you see in the mirrors lots of sand fountains :)

To all desert foxes - Don't laugh, it happens also to Marshals as well :) I know :)
Chief, thank you very much for explaining such important points in such a light and easy way :like:.
your advise during the drives is so clear yet so easy to follow. last drive, i did try to climb a dune in second gear, i somehow made it but i was so confused that the climb should be so hard, THEN ONLY I saw the hand brake lever up :killzonesmiley: