does a pathfinder work as a low budget offroad machine ?

m3gtr8
Club Member
Club Member

hi , it is plain and simple , does a nissan pathfinder work as a moderate offroad machine ?
i have a 2003 , automatic , se pathfinder , no dif locks .
if so , what modifications do you suggest and how much does that cost ?
Mubz

m3gtr8;27324 wrote:hi , it is plain and simple , does a nissan pathfinder work as a moderate offroad machine ?
Welcome to the club m3gtr8,

This question has been asked many times and always had a simple reply YES and NO.

Any 4x4 can be an off road machine depends who is behind the wheel, Our Chief Marhsal has Nissan Pathfinder 2004 ( i believe manual) and as the title suggests he is Chief Marshal, so yes a pathfinder can be an awesome offroad machine, but depends on your driving skills.

Modifications: Marshals can suggests better what to modify but I believe in pathfinder there is not much room for modification as its ready, you only need offroad tyres ( around 2500 - 3000 AED) again depends on what deal you are getting so could be less or high. and probably front bumper so that it doesn't hit the front while playing in the dessert ( check with Chief Marshal for best advise)...... but one thing you will always get is that best modification the your car is the driver and I can tell you one thing if you start with Amost4x4 Club member drives and take one step at a time I am sure you as a driver will be best modification to the car.

And you will be surprised to see Mini Me ( suzuki vitara) as an awesome offroad machine but only given to the hands of Marshals :)

I hope this helps but this just the begining of thread and you will see alot more comments and suggestions so please stay tuned :)

good luck
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

m3gtr8;27324 wrote:hi , it is plain and simple , does a nissan pathfinder work as a moderate offroad machine ?
If its the 3.5 L engine ( and I guess it is the engine for the SE ) . it will do the job .
What goes around , comes around .
Alok708

Its a great machine. I am a bot surprised to read that it does not have diff lock. I thought all 3.5 L pathfinders had a diff lock (i.e. 4L).

And remember in almost 4x4 forum if you dare to question / doubt the capabilities of pathfinder 3.5L, life can become very tough very fast :grin:!!
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Alok708;27701 wrote:Its a great machine. I am a bot surprised to read that it does not have diff lock. I thought all 3.5 L pathfinders had a diff lock (i.e. 4L).

And remember in almost 4x4 forum if you dare to question / doubt the capabilities of pathfinder 3.5L, life can become very tough very fast :grin:!!
Alok, did you see some kind of that button, like difflock on that great car ever, except as a mod?
Alok708

Well chief (just saw your mail), I guess you seem to asking if I needed to use the diff lock ever. We the answer is 'yes', but frankly why it came to that stage is on account of my own driving skills, (or rather the lack of the same!). Surely if driven correctly, one might never require to use diff lock in this amazing car.
BTW I had to sell my pathy, and hence have been out of action for long. However I am searching out for another pathy these days and inshallah I shall be driving with friends very soon again.

Cheers!
Alok
sami
Intermediate
Intermediate

Alok708;27701 wrote:Its a great machine. I am a bot surprised to read that it does not have diff lock. I thought all 3.5 L pathfinders had a diff lock (i.e. 4L).

I may be wrong about this, but i think there is a misunderstanding on the term "difflock". I believe Alok is referring to having a transfer case with a low range gear 4L as difflock which I think all pathfinders have.

Capri is referring to front or rear locking differential which doesn't come on stock pathfinders in which case if you had one Alok, it was a mod.
Alok708

Well I am totally confused. I always believed that 4L is the differential lock. It could be rear diff lock or Central diff lock (depending on the vehicle brand and model). I thought the pathfinder 3.5 had a rear diff lock which is engaged when the vehicle is put in 4L. However I am no expert on auto mechanics. So I seek clarity :innocent:.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Alok708;28115 wrote:Well I am totally confused. I always believed that 4L is the differential lock. It could be rear diff lock or Central diff lock (depending on the vehicle brand and model). I thought the pathfinder 3.5 had a rear diff lock which is engaged when the vehicle is put in 4L. However I am no expert on auto mechanics. So I seek clarity :innocent:.
It's written in User Manual, Starting and driving 5-21. You should read it, as you don't know what you are doing, you may damage your transfer case or gear box. Maybe in that manual are other secrets, which may bring the light into your confusion. It has nothing to do with to be or not to be expert in mechanics...

BTW, do you believe, that jelly fish are aliens? :017:
sami
Intermediate
Intermediate

I can see why your confused now. In my old car Land cruiser 100 automatic v8(2002) the transfer case had two position H and L there was no explicit 4H position on the transfer case lever in that specific model. The way you effectively engage 4H is by locking the center differential which was indeed a button. I'm not sure if this was the case in your pathfinder but usually this isn't referred to as a difflock as its more like just engaging 4wd in high range.