Clutch Fan vs Electrical Fan

Mubz

Hi Guys,

The other day after the clutch Fan barring was giving me issue on XJ, I was thinking to replace clutch fan with electrical fan either controlled with a switch or direct with ignition always running.

Since I am not a Jeeper (yet) and dont have much experience with Jeeps so I am putting this to the experts.

Whether replacing Clutch fan with Electrical fan will make any difference to

1. Temperature ( I want to keep temperature below 210 ( as its always slightly over half mark )
2. Performance ( any gain in performance) ( I believe clutch fan does take power from the engine not sure how much and what will be the effect)
3. Consumption ( will it improve gain in more MPG )

I've put them in order of priority as my first priority is Temperature control, then performance and last consumption.

Will the experts please put me in right direction or this is just me trying to re-invent the wheel.

Any suggestions and comments positive / negative are welcomed.
Code Red

A properly sized electric fan can help a little bit with all of those concerns. Quality installation and wiring is key. There may also be an issue with whether your charging system has the extra capacity to keep up with the added demand. This will be a constant load, so you need to ensure that it is comfortably within the capacity of your alternator, etc ...

There are many here with vastly more experience with XJ's in the desert than I have, but I have always felt that a clutch fan is generally more reliable if it will move enough air. I understand that you are experiencing issues with the bearing on yours, but electric fans also have bearings, as well as motors, switches, wires, thermostats, relays, extra mounting brackets, added electrical load, etc ... that you don't have on a clutch fan. An even simpler option is a fixed fan. No clutch, no internal bearings, just a set of blades.

An added bonus, that is almost certainly useless here, is that a switch can be added to turn an electric fan off for deep water crossings to avoid broken blades and unwanted contact with the radiator. That's really the only reason I have ever installed one. I have heard that they are more popular here for adding additional cooling over what the stock setup provides, but I have no experience with how effective it is.
Mubz

Code Red;28026 wrote:A properly sized electric fan can help a little bit with all of those concerns. Quality installation and wiring is key. There may also be an issue with whether your charging system has the extra capacity to keep up with the added demand. This will be a constant load, so you need to ensure that it is comfortably within the capacity of your alternator, etc ...
Somethign I need to check with Omer at Almost Service center
Code Red;28026 wrote: I understand that you are experiencing issues with the bearing on yours, but electric fans also have bearings, as well as motors, switches, wires, thermostats, relays, extra mounting brackets, added electrical load, etc ... that you don't have on a clutch fan. An even simpler option is a fixed fan. No clutch, no internal bearings, just a set of blades.
Bearing issue is resolved but was thinking of another way to spend something on this months pay day :) :Psmiley:

lets see everyone's contribution as well.
Code Red

I am confident that you will find something else to spend it on.

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket

Learn it. Live it. Love it.
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

Code Red;28026 wrote:A properly sized electric fan can help a little bit with all of those concerns. Quality installation and wiring is key. There may also be an issue with whether your charging system has the extra capacity to keep up with the added demand. This will be a constant load, so you need to ensure that it is comfortably within the capacity of your alternator, etc ...

There are many here with vastly more experience with XJ's in the desert than I have, but I have always felt that a clutch fan is generally more reliable if it will move enough air. I understand that you are experiencing issues with the bearing on yours, but electric fans also have bearings, as well as motors, switches, wires, thermostats, relays, extra mounting brackets, added electrical load, etc ... that you don't have on a clutch fan.

Thank you Code Red for a well explained ( advantages vs disadvantages ) features of both systems , I agree with every word you said . I believe its the drivers personal choice based on variable input .( vehicles age , vehicles condition , cooling system efficiency , driving style ...etc .)

Based on my humble experience , I found out that under ideal circumstances ( cooling system & engine are standard and working properly ) switching to an electrical fan system is a wise decision ( only if the job is done properly ) as I have noticed a slight improvement in performance and gas consumption.
What goes around , comes around .
Maddie

Abu Jimmy;28037 wrote:Thank you Code Red for a well explained ( advantages vs disadvantages ) features of both systems , I agree with every word you said . I believe its the drivers personal choice based on variable input .( vehicles age , vehicles condition , cooling system efficiency , driving style ...etc .)

Based on my humble experience , I found out that under ideal circumstances ( cooling system & engine are standard and working properly ) switching to an electrical fan system is a wise decision ( only if the job is done properly ) as I have noticed a slight improvement in performance and gas consumption.
Abu Jimmy, any idea if the same can be done on TJ?
Doctor

I think yes it can be done, coz the XJ and the TJ has the same engine!!!
Maddie

Doctor;28045 wrote:I think yes it can be done, coz the XJ and the TJ has the same engine!!!
Yes Dr. they do have the L6 but the fan on XJ is a lot smaller than the TJ and also there's an aux fan for the AC.

these fans can be replaced by Subaru or Maxima Puller Fans from the inside and can be complimented with a couple of pusher fans from the grill side.

However, the TJ has a large Clutch fan from the inside only. and not much space from the outside to install double fans.

What can be done is we can try out the Supra Racing fans (at considerable cost) after fabricating a shroud. this mod will need a deeper radiator and fabricated mounts to push out the AC Condenser grill.

Alternatively, get a Landrover Thermostat which opens at 76C, maintain the cooling system well, use coolant/distilled water 50/50 mix, install a low load pusher fan, and avoid using the AC during the drives. This will result in a lower running temperature and the Viscous Clutch Wont kick in so often.

Everyone, your inputs please ...
Doctor

Maddie;28051 wrote:Yes Dr. they do have the L6 but the fan on XJ is a lot smaller than the TJ and also there's an aux fan for the AC.

these fans can be replaced by Subaru or Maxima Puller Fans from the inside and can be complimented with a couple of pusher fans from the grill side.

However, the TJ has a large Clutch fan from the inside only. and not much space from the outside to install double fans.

What can be done is we can try out the Supra Racing fans (at considerable cost) after fabricating a shroud. this mod will need a deeper radiator and fabricated mounts to push out the AC Condenser grill.

Alternatively, get a Landrover Thermostat which opens at 76C, maintain the cooling system well, use coolant/distilled water 50/50 mix, install a low load pusher fan, and avoid using the AC during the drives. This will result in a lower running temperature and the Viscous Clutch Wont kick in so often.

Everyone, your inputs please ...
Waw Im impressed,, are you a mechanic Meddi, this was a text book explanation,, thank you :045:
mike
Intermediate
Intermediate

I have a TJ with small electric fan installed on the outside aswell as the standard viscous clutch on the mechanical fan on the inside.

I've never noticed the electric fan cut in automatically, and I have an over-ride switch to turn it on manually. I don't believe it is of particularly high power or a quality install as suggested above!

The enigne temperature never gets hot enought for me to worry about turning it on manually, although I suspect it wouldn't make any difference with the much larger mechanically driven fan inside the engine bay running well, which is obviously far more powerful.

What I have noticed is that when electric fan spins on it's own even when off. This is because of the air being pulled through by the mechanical fan.
So the electric fan must be restricting the air flow slightly, possibly causing higher load on the mechanical fan inside.

My personnal thoughts are that the mechanical fan is likely to be far more powerful and efficient (good cowling) than an electric one would be.

Probably the key point for me is reliability. If you want a reliable installation, I'd personnally stick with the standard fan, there's not much to go wrong with them compared to electric.

When I get round to it I'll be take the electric one off, if I don't break it getting it out, I'll give it away.

See you in the sand, Mike