Importing a modified Jeep

Code Red

Dear Almosters,

I am moving from the US and have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with a few modifications. I am hesitant to try and ship it because I can't get a good answer on weather I will be able to get it registered with the modifications.

It has a 2.5" AEV suspension, an ARB front bumper, and a Warn winch. I really would love to have it out here, but I don't want to pay to ship it here only to find out I can't register it.

Does anyone here have experience with this issue?

Thanks,

Jon
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

ARB front bumper will be a problem , you will have to switch to stock bumper . otherwise you will not be able to register the vehicle in Dubai .
What goes around , comes around .
Code Red

Will the suspension pass? The bumper is pretty easy to take off, and I still have the stock one.

If this is doable, I would also love to ear any recommendations anyone may have for an importer.

Thanks
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

Not much into importing vehicles but sure about the registration in Dubai . Lifting kits up to 2.5" , Cold air intake systems and low restriction exhaust systems will pass only in Dubai Emirate .( not other Emirates ) .

Metal bumpers , Ventilated hoods , hood scoops , extremely wide tyres and rims ( coming out of fender flares ) , roof racks and extra offroad lights will not pass for sure .
Code Red

That's encouraging. The bumper, winch, and 2.5" lift are the only mods. Still riding on stock wheels, tires, hood, no extra lights or roof rack.

Can the bumper go back on after the inspection?

There seem to be lots of photos of vehicles with steel bumpers and I see dealers for several brands in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I'm not trying to run afoul of the law, but I am confused about the situation.
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

Yes , you can return the ARB bumper with the winch after registration , as most of the offroaders are doing this annually to pass their vehicles through registration renewal . but it will be on your own risk and responsibility as you may have get finned if caught by police.
Code Red

I can live with that.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like my Jeep is going to take a boat ride.