Jeep Jamboree 2013

Fat Rabbit

Just returned from a one-day trip abroad, got some time to write this out…

I was really looking forward to the Jeep Jamboree 2013. I had first heard about it in January 2010 when I took Roxanne for servicing to Trading Enterprises. Unfortunately, I had to travel to South Africa, hence wasn’t able to go. 2011 and 2012 just whizzed by, and finally, through the almost4x4 website, I came to know about the 2013 version of the event. With confidence boosters of almost4x4m, I decided to join the band wagon.

I was excited, oh boy, was I excited. Khatib organised the show, we met at the Enoc station at RTA. The dude in the white Wrangler pointed out that I had a power steering leak (thanks for letting me know, sorry I didn’t get your name). In a while, we all set out towards the Al Badia Golf Course where a continental breakfast awaited. After registration and a small briefing by the Trading Enterprises organisers, we were off to our vehicles.

And the disappointment began… the Jamboree organisers didnt follow a ‘first in first out’ methodology to begin the event. Whilst we were amongst the first to arrive at Al Badia, we were the last to get going. When we finally reached the venue, the mountain trek began… at times at crawling speed… not very flattering with a manual transmission. I think some of us (including myself) got bored… I remember someone asking Strawb over the walkie talkie “how many more kilometres of this do we have to drive”..haha. After the rocks, there was gravel driving at a better speed but with a lot of flying dust… at least it was better than the rocks.

Finally, from the gravel, there was a dash for the sand (and a whole lot of dust). In the process, I think, a lot of people got lost.. us as well as other participants. I just played safe.. I followed Miss D’s brother while he navigated his way and was able to regroup with the rest of the almosters near fossil rock. After waiting at the base of the HUGE dune for a bit, the almost4x4 group decided to head back… somewhere…! In the ensuing one hour or so, while trying to figure out which way is ‘home’… that in my opinion, was the best part of the Jamboree… we actually drove in the dunes. Yaaaayyyyy!!! That was time well spent J

My wife and I didn’t return to Al Badia for the bbq dinner. I had to catch a flight early next morning, was tired and covered in dust. We went home.

In the end, the Jeep Jamboree 2013, for me, wasn’t all that exciting as I had imagined. The only good thing that came out of it was the wonderful people I met on the way (I was trying to put faces to names I had come to know from the almost4x4 website) and the one hour of almost4x4 dune driving at the end that made the event worth it. Well this is my personal experience, anyone else with happier memories?
Where the road ends, the enjoyment begins..
With Natalie, a 2-door beige Nissan Patrol Safari
refad
Intermediate
Intermediate

Jeep jombeeroo was very boring from start to end as i missed the Almost convoy when i stopped for Namaz in the wadi driving.

We reached Badiya at 9.15am , we were waiting for 2 hours for the Convoy to start, after waiting for more than 2 hours we started towards malehe under Kathib our Marshal. We refilled petrol, food and enough water. hoo forgot to say some thing, break fast ok, but the luch provided was......tooooooooooooooooooooooooooo little for me....even the water..................

we reached Showka wadi and when the rock started, Khatib inform us to deflate, as we where deflating "THE BIG SWEEP TEAM CAME" and arguing why u guys are deflating, and one of the guy was in a hurry - u cannot imagine----he was feeling like he was in Dubai Bypass Road.hoooooo....we started after deflating and within 5 minutes we saw the same guy is struggling and to climb. the whole event team pushing for saving him. we ALMOSTE4x4 team climb the same path with out even a small strugle.

Later long boring drive-slow slow and slow, in between we few cars stopped for Namaz. and we started again. when we started again and reched the Tarmac and Found few cars where lost and wandering where to, we informed them to follow us, we folled the GPS point and whent throug the sabka area after showka manama ext towords fossil rock. and reached the passed next two check point and reached the desert. as all were 1st times in desert we deflated for them and informed how to drive in desert ,
and ofcourse stuck was a common senario, and we managed to take them to the side of fossil rock and in the track and all were out, stucks recovery, waw amazing, once we came out we helped them to inflate and send them to badiya through road , we 3 cars strated towrds pink rock direcltly through desert and we crossed pink rock and reached Badiya by 8pm.
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with the guys on the not-well-organized bit, and that is probably why there were fewer cars this year than last year, and my guess is that there will be fewer even next year!!
Trident

From Wadi to Fossil Rock, I followed Strawb... Cool short cut:011:
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

the 2013 Jeep Jamboree had a lot of food

It also had great give aways

there were a lot of jeeps

and ......

uh .....

did i mention there was a lot of food???

shukran falasi for letting me use your XJ ........ i
sandpatrol
Club Member
Club Member

Hey guys,

I'm a new member in this club..I was at the Jeep Jamboree event this year and noticed a lot of Almost4x4 T-shirts.

We had a done a write up last month on the 2013 Jeep Jamboree...along with a review of the new Wrangler JK with the Pentastar engine. I thought of posting it on the forum. Do check it out..

http://www.motorade.net/2013/01/24/jeep ... angler-jk/

Thanks for reading !

Shane