FJ Cruiser Technical - ABS cutoff and Jerry Cans

Mosalf

Hi Almosters,

I would like to know if anyone has successfully managed to cutoff the ABS in their cars. :032:I have a 2012 and would be like to learn as i find this feature annoying and consider it dangerous while driving in the desert. :055:

Secondly, can you kindly provide the best possible position to mount two jerry cans inside our outside the vehicle. :032:I dont want to affect the camera as its useful in reverse parking in Abu Dhabi. :027:

Look forward to your suggestions. :060:
Bulbous
Club Member
Club Member

Desert Fox;20858 wrote:Hi Almosters,

I would like to know if anyone has successfully managed to cutoff the ABS in their cars. :032:I have a 2012 and would be like to learn as i find this feature annoying and consider it dangerous while driving in the desert. :055:

Secondly, can you kindly provide the best possible position to mount two jerry cans inside our outside the vehicle. :032:I dont want to affect the camera as its useful in reverse parking in Abu Dhabi. :027:

Look forward to your suggestions. :060:
Sorry, cannot help with the how, but fully agreed that ABS is seriously dangerous in the desert. I know that there is some sort of plug/relay on the driver side in the engine bay - but this might only apply to older FJs

I wouldn't be putting jerry cans inside the vehicle if I was you. A ruptured jerry can catching fire outside the vehicle is bad news, if it's inside then it's catastrophic
Big Red
Intermediate
Intermediate

If you type in some more specific searches there was a debate on the application of the "abs kill switch" interesting thread ...
fida
Advance
Advance

I have 2010 FJ and am removing the plug which is somehow decreasing (but not completely turning off) the effects of ABS.
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

fida;22665 wrote:I have 2010 FJ and am removing the plug which is somehow decreasing (but not completely turning off) the effects of ABS.
Fida....in the 2010 you dont have to remove teh plug....what you need to do is press the Traction off button and hold it down for 10 seconds and then all the traction aids get disconnected.

When you hit the button one light will come on in the dash, thats not the end of it, you need to press and hold the button till a second light comes on in the dash and then the traction aids are all disconnected....except teh ABS....which I am still trying to figure out how to manually activate / de activate
fida
Advance
Advance

Wasif Ahmed;22685 wrote:Fida....in the 2010 you dont have to remove teh plug....what you need to do is press the Traction off button and hold it down for 10 seconds and then all the traction aids get disconnected.

When you hit the button one light will come on in the dash, thats not the end of it, you need to press and hold the button till a second light comes on in the dash and then the traction aids are all disconnected....except teh ABS....which I am still trying to figure out how to manually activate / de activate
thanks Wasif, that's the basic thing I do since I have Fj. I m talking bat additional aid which I m getting by removing the plug. It is reducing the effect bit further.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wasif Ahmed;22685 wrote:Fida....in the 2010 you dont have to remove teh plug....what you need to do is press the Traction off button and hold it down for 10 seconds and then all the traction aids get disconnected.

It's FJ thing, drive Nissan and you don't need to press anything else except gas pedal and clutch :038:
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

caprihorse;22697 wrote:It's FJ thing, drive Nissan and you don't need to press anything else except gas pedal and clutch :038:
Interesting.....you dont need to press the brake ?
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

fida;22696 wrote:thanks Wasif, that's the basic thing I do since I have Fj. I m talking bat additional aid which I m getting by removing the plug. It is reducing the effect bit further.
Thats interesting, but the downside is you cant use the A TRAC untill you get down and re connect that plug
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wasif Ahmed;22710 wrote:Interesting.....you dont need to press the brake ?
Very rarely, definitely not, before going into the desert :001: