Fj-transmission oil change and additional cooler installation

Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

fOR THE 2ND TIME I AM POSTING THIS AS MY FIRST DETAILED THREAD WAS NOT POSTED AND AND I DIDNT SAVED IT:028:
I CHANGED MY TRANNY OIL BY THE METHOD STATED BELOW FROM FJ CRUISER FORUM AND IT WAS BRILLIANT.

I INSTALLED AN ADDITIONAL COOLER TOO, I BOUGHT IT FROM SCRAP COSTING 100 DHS AND NEW OIL LINES COSTED ME 35 DHS.
THE TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE WHILE DRIVING ON ROAD WAS 190-210 DEG F MEASURED BY MY INSTALLED SCANGAUGE2,,NOW AFTER INSTALLING NEW COOLER IT IS 175 MAX.
IN DESERT IT WAS REACHING TO 245-250 DEG F YET I HAVE TO TEST AND NOTE THE TEMP DIFFERENCE AFTER THIS ADDITIONAL COOLER.
:011:

Procedure:

Start by opening the fill plug with the wrench, its on the passenger side toward the rear of the gearbox. Clean it up and set it aside.
From the engine compartment run the 1/2" tubing from the middle of the firewall back down to the fill port keeping it away from the exhaust pipe and cats. The 5/8" OD fits the fill port pretty nice and should not fall out once you push about 3/4" of it in there. I only pushed that much in and it did not leak while filling. Attach your funnel to the other end of the tube and tape it up with some electrical tape just in case.
Locate and remove the black tube on the bottom line of the radiator, this is the return line to the gearbox. Put your clear tube on the radiator nipple now showing. If it is snug you don't need a clamp since there is very little pressure. Put the other end into your empty 5 qt jug.
Now start your engine and watch as the old fluid goes into the jug. It should take about 10-15 seconds to dump 2 qts. Stop the engine and put that much new fluid back in by pouring it into the funnel. Repeat this until you have gone thru all 16 qts. Make sure that each time you dump some, you put exactly that much back in. By the time you have gone thru all the new fluid, the old fluid coming out should look new too...
Now clean up, put the plug back in, the return line on the radiator and give it a test drive.

ORIGINAL THREAD ON
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/t ... ush-3.html

http://db.tt/Tun4CbWe
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

Which transmission cooler did you get? or from which car!! any pictures!!
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

I checked a lot of coolers from different cars but due to small size I pick Armada..keeping in mind it is cooling down huge car :)
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

Any pictures ?
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wasif Ahmed;21326 wrote:Any pictures ?
Link to the photo is there at the bottom of original post..