Pressure Gauge

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

For the successful driving in the desert are generally needed three components:
  • Driver (skills & experience)
  • Car (overall conditions, power, torque, etc.
  • Tyres (conditions & pressure)
First two points are very individual, but tyre pressure is very important factor, that is independent from the skills of driver and is a prerequisite for driving without getting stuck on every corner or climbing moderately steep dunes. Sometimes 2 psi can make tremendous difference in your driving performance.

On the market are mostly pressure gauges from supermarkets priced around 5 Dhs. I saw some digital as well. Stick pressure gauges are showing the values dependant, how much dust and sand is inside the tube... All those are just useless, with the total range is coming up to 200 psi, when you want to measure just 15 psi; what you see as your reading could be actually 20 psi or even more; they are not enough accurate. Your red arrow is somewhere close to 0 at reading.
If you want to get the right pressure gauge, try to find something in specialized shops with off-road toys, where the total range shall not exceed 60 psi.

You can compare reading of your gauge with some petrol stations, which have digital measurement for filling air into tyres and take the value of their reading as a reference point. The deviation (in psi) gives you an indication how your gauge reading is different, how many psi. Then next time, as your will deflate your tyres in desert, you may be very close to the value that you need. To compare the pressure with your buddy's gauge can lead also to certain inaccuracy, as his gauge might be also from supermarket :060:

What is the right pressure for your tyres? Is it 15, 20 or 10 psi? This is again very individual, it depends on the brand and size of the tyres your are using and also on the total weight of your car. The best method would be to drive (with full power) some long steep dune and mark, how far up you can come. After first test, deflate your tyres by 2 psi and drive same place again, with the same power. If your performance increases with reduced pressure, then you are on the right way to determine the right pressure for your tyres and car. Just drive with your buddies and see how many times you get stuck or left behind.

Have Fun ! :051:
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hi caprihorse
Thanks for the interesting topic, when I buy a new gauge I always compare it with the digital gauge in the petrol station and see how it goes with me in the desert. Secondly, for all our members if you are on low pressure always remember:

1.When you go down either forward or backward always try to touch the ground with TWO tires not ONE …. Or you might have the chance to put all the pressure on ONE tier and have a POP OUT!!
2.When you go downward in forward drive always remember , the engine weight and the care weight are all on your tires So never make SHARP TURNS … otherwise you are going to burst your tires and have a POP OUT!!
3.When you downward in backward drive always remember, don't come on HIGH SPEED otherwise you are going to burst your tires and have a POP OUT!!
4.Air pressure is different in general depends on the train or the weather
a.Sand / Rocks / Road / Unpaved Road
b.Soft Sand / Wet Sand
c.Hot Sand / Cold Sand
d.Heavy Car / Light Car

You learn how to adjust your tires' air with experience or by our Marshals' instructions

Have Safe Drive to all
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

i AM HAVING DIGITAL GAUGE AND ITS WORKING PERFECTLY FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS, THE GAUGE WITH THE MEASURING STICK IS ABSOLUTELY NOT WORKING BECAUSE OF THE FRICTION DUE TO SAND AS CAPRI SAID.
ABU SALEM IS RIGHT JUST TO ASK THE PERSON WHO IS LEADING OR THE ONE KNOWS THE TERRAIN BETTER, THAT HOW MUCH PRESSURE IS REQUIRED FOR THAT SPECIFIC TERRAIN.

THANKS
Indy

On the first drive it was 10psi for me, the 2nd one was 15psi.. i felt the car handled better with 15 on the 2nd trip on a bright day .. the first day was cloudy and raining...i would go with the leader's advice at this stage..the sand seems reasonably firm at this time after the rains we have had.. let me see what it's like in the summer when the sand's dry and loose..

As for pressure gauge - my inflator shows approx 2-3 psi less than what it shows at the petrol pump.. so I know roughly where I am while inflating or deflating..
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Guys, I'm happy, this is a positive learning curve. :045:
Always watch you car's behaviour on different surface at different conditions. It is only your decision and responsibility to have the right pressure at the right time. :051: