GPS Device Selection Guide

Aemi
Intermediate
Intermediate

Desert Fox;16658 wrote:Went on a ANIT with AD 4x4 as I am based in Abu Dhabi. But you guys have a lot of FJC members, would certainly like to join you guys on a club members trip....:027:

Are you sure the 62SC is not a good device? This friend of mine is selling is it because he picked up a 276C. Maybe I should walk away from the deal and go for the Montana for 1900.00 (Diff is AED 600) Please advise.
The best gadget at the moment is MONTANA600.You can get it from AMIT DUBAI/SHARJAH may be A-DHABI too.
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Desert Fox;16658 wrote:Went on a ANIT with AD 4x4 as I am based in Abu Dhabi. But you guys have a lot of FJC members, would certainly like to join you guys on a club members trip....:027:

Are you sure the 62SC is not a good device? This friend of mine is selling is it because he picked up a 276C. Maybe I should walk away from the deal and go for the Montana for 1900.00 (Diff is AED 600) Please advise.
The 620 C came before Montana , I bought it and discovered that it is a flop .... if you are intrested I'll give you mine for 100 dhs :011:
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
NaSeR
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm using Garmin GPSMAP 62s and happy with it except the screen size :011:

bart

Thinking that an iPhone with the app MotionX-GPS gives you most, if not more of the functionality of OTC GPS devices.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Your friend did pick up one of the best GPS devices Garmin ever produced, that's why he is selling it. Except Montana I have still 276C...
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

alshamsi_m;16663 wrote:The 620 C came before Montana , I bought it and discovered that it is a flop .... if you are intrested I'll give you mine for 100 dhs :011:
as decoration for dashboard :005:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

NaSeR;16667 wrote:I'm using Garmin GPSMAP 62s and happy with it except the screen size :011:
Naser, I very much respect your capabilities in using such a type of device, but I'm afraid, that somebody who never had Garmin device in his hand, will hardly find out the way to the target, when driving...
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

bart;16670 wrote:Thinking that an iPhone with the app MotionX-GPS gives you most, if not more of the functionality of OTC GPS devices.
iPhone is equipped with A-GPS (Assisted GPS) sensor, which means that instead of direct connection to GPS satellite, it is connecting to the nearest cellphone tower, which gives a position. But if there is no tower in desert, there is no position. MotionX-GPS is a software application, which reads the data from tower and displays them and gives hints.

But we are here talking about real device, that can intercept direct signals from GPS satellite. My Blackberry or Fuji camera can directly connect to GPS satellites, but batteries are discharged within hour.
Mubz

caprihorse;16546 wrote:There are lots of GPS devices on the market and many are confused, which is the right device. To choose the right device, the potential buyer has to take into the consideration the purpose of future usage. As we are here talking off-road, I will concentrate mostly on GPS devices to be used off-road.

Battery Life
Up to 16 hours, if the charging cable can get broken. The car charger option is a must.

[CENTER][HR][/HR][/CENTER]

©2012, Caprihorse
Cheirf I have recently acquired Montana 650 ( used ) works really well on road and off road except the battery it only lasts for 1 hour ( at max) is it time to replace the battery or could there be another issue ?
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mubz;27886 wrote:Cheirf I have recently acquired Montana 650 ( used ) works really well on road and off road except the battery it only lasts for 1 hour ( at max) is it time to replace the battery or could there be another issue ?
There is definitely another issue, try to charge the battery at home, from normal power supply.