GPS Device Selection Guide

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

There are lots of GPS devices on the market and many are confused, which is the right device. To choose the right device, the potential buyer has to take into the consideration the purpose of future usage. As we are here talking off-road, I will concentrate mostly on GPS devices to be used off-road.

Physical

Screen size and type
A minimum should be 10 cm in diagonal, sunlight readable screen, so you can see all the details comfortably from your seat, behind the steering wheel, with minimal resolution 272 x 480 pixels. Touch screen option is preferable and convenient to use. However the device should give you an option to resize the icons on screen to be able to hit them when needed.

Water and Dust Proof
The device must be protected against humidity and dust, as we are driving in certain not very comfortable conditions. IPX7 is standard which should be taken into consideration (no ingress of dust, up to 1 m of submersion in water for 30 minutes).

Battery Life
Up to 16 hours, if the charging cable can get broken. The car charger option is a must.

Memory
The device must be capable to use any commercially available memory card, to add storing capability on the top of internal storage.

Features

Waypoints
Able to store waypoints at any moment, with additional text information, minimum 1,000.

Tracks
Able to store driven tracks and display them for the later use, minimum 200, where each track should be able to score 1,000 points as minimum. Many devices are adding points to tracks based on turns or straight driven distance.

Routes
Ability to store routes created outside the device (on computer), minimum 200. Routes are straight lines between waypoints and are not copying terrain turns.

Maps
Ability to install current area maps, showing roads and marked off-road roads, with other points, like fuel stations or rescue places.

Connection to Computer
Ability to retrieve and store data from device to computer and also from computer to store cleaned data on the device.

Ability to upgrade device BIOS as manufacturer is releasing models to the market with full of bugs, and during the updates, they are adding forgotten features or improvements, based on the comments from users.

Navigation
Ability to display the saved route or track on a screen and see or hear to the navigational voice commands. This feature can be on-road by voice or off-road by displayed messages.

Ability to be instructed on-road by a voice commands at junctions, to be able to navigate from point A to point B.

[CENTER][HR][/HR][/CENTER]

©2012, Caprihorse
Rahulmanan2

As per all this configuration what will be the starting price of such GPS Models........Please name them so we can ask in shops
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rahulmanan2;16548 wrote:As per all this configuration what will be the starting price of such GPS Models........Please name them so we can ask in shops
It's opposite way, ask for mentioned features and they'll tell you the price and at the end it's your decision. We don't want here to promote any manufacturer or shopping point.
Rahulmanan2

As per my knowledge Master i have not seen such GPS in this market.......thats why am asking for some brands..........am for sure for that if you promote( Sales ) for some thing then people will run away........hahahahaha:011:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Try to visit some known showrooms in this country and I'm sure you'll get some answers. Additionally maybe Mr Google could give you also some hints.
desert_jellyfish

You don't know how thankful I am for this post!!!! perfect timing too, i was planning to get a GPS for my wrangler end of this month. Wanted to get an in-dash but I think i'll stick to a outer one so i can take it out of the car with me and walk with it and stuff :045: thanks again very much!!
Mosalf

Thanks CAPRI - I am zeroing on a second hand 62SC Garmin...meets all the above criteria plus has a birds eyeview subscription for one year.

Now if only i can get to drive in the desert with you guys....someone please announce a ANIT :)
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Desert Fox;16648]Thanks CAPRI - I am zeroing on a second hand 62SC Garmin...meets all the above criteria plus has a birds eyeview subscription for one year.

Now if only i can get to drive in the desert with you guys....someone please announce a ANIT :)[/quote]
You must have been driving before with one of Abu Dhabi clubs, right?:032: We don't use term ANIT, but Club Members Trip...

62SC is a handheld device good for trekking, but not for off-roading. In many parameters it does not comply with the needed requirements.
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

if youve got the budget to boost .... go woth a Montana 600 or 650 and dont look back
Mosalf

caprihorse;16650 wrote:You must have been driving before with one of Abu Dhabi clubs, right?:032: We don't use term ANIT, but Club Members Trip...

62SC is a handheld device good for trekking, but not for off-roading. In many parameters it does not comply with the needed requirements.
Went on a ANIT with AD 4x4 as I am based in Abu Dhabi. But you guys have a lot of FJC members, would certainly like to join you guys on a club members trip....:027:

Are you sure the 62SC is not a good device? This friend of mine is selling is it because he picked up a 276C. Maybe I should walk away from the deal and go for the Montana for 1900.00 (Diff is AED 600) Please advise.