Garmin Montana 600 - How to set your Course (CDI)

Desert King
Intermediate
Intermediate

aemi98;12272 wrote:Thanks once again for this useful post.I need help to create route using the following co-ordinates.

Starting point. N25 09.966 E55 49.504
point no.2
N25 08.380 E55 50.100
Point no.3 N25 01.240 E55 43.480
End point N24 59.860 E55 39.710

First you save the coordinates as Way Points.
1. Select > Route Planner > Create Route > Select First Point.
2. Select the category Way Points
3. Select the first point in the route.
4. Select Use > Select Next Point.
5. Repeat steps 2 - 4 until the route is complete.
6. Select U tern arrow on left bottom screen to Save the route.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

You can add your welcoming message when the unit power up.

Go to folder Garmin and find the file startup.txt

Add your line at the end, e.g.:

Welcome,
this unit belongs to xxxxx.
If found pls call xxxxxxxxxx.
Arif

what is a better way to save a trip a route or a track ,i tried making routes using mapsource.but it adds several waypoints by default, whereas a track imported from google earth does not do that.and tracks can be archived which does not take up memory reducing the boot up time.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Arif;12276 wrote:what is a better way to save a trip a route or a track ,i tried making routes using mapsource.but it adds several waypoints by default, whereas a track imported from google earth does not do that.and tracks can be archived which does not take up memory reducing the boot up time.
For Montana, MapSource is not the right soft, try to use BaseCamp
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

caprihorse;12275 wrote:You can add your welcoming message when the unit power up.

Go to folder Garmin and find the file startup.txt

Add your line at the end, e.g.:

Welcome,
this unit belongs to xxxxx.
If found pls call xxxxxxxxxx.
I am having problem with my Montana , when connected with pc all the icons shows as short cuts and when I click on any it says the file shortcut refer to doesn't exist.
What to do :(((((((-
Arif

sorry i meant basecamp since mapsource does not support .kml files
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Duck Commander;12278 wrote:I am having problem with my Montana , when connected with pc all the icons shows as short cuts and when I click on any it says the file shortcut refer to doesn't exist.
What to do :(((((((-
Switch off the device before connecting to PC.
You need to have installed the latest firmware (4.01) and the drivers.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Arif;12276 wrote:what is a better way to save a trip a route or a track ,i tried making routes using mapsource.but it adds several waypoints by default, whereas a track imported from google earth does not do that.and tracks can be archived which does not take up memory reducing the boot up time.
It depends on you, what you prefer and I hope we are talking here about desert tracking.

Track, once taken from Montana into BaseCamp must be edited and cleaned, to have a final track, which you can follow somehow in the future. After cleaning it must be uploaded again to the device.

Route is good for stable country, just to have main junctions and turning points, not to loose the way, as it gives you straight lines between your waypoints. Create points in Google Earth, bring them back to BaseCamp and create route there and upload.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Darshan;11755 wrote:Basically you can set it up in different ways.

Drag and drop the profile change button from the drawer to the main screen.
Go into profiles and change the routing activity to direct routing for one of the profiles
When you are offroad, just use the profile change button to choose the direct routing profile and that is it!

Another way/Simpler to do it is within automotive profile, change the route activity to "prompted" So whenever you choose a waypoint as your destination it will ask you whether you need direct routing...if you are in the desert just choose direct routing and you will have the pink line in between you and the target.

I choose the profile method coz this automatically turns on a lot of other settings like track recording if you want it to.

Also try to play with the shortcuts menu, once you get the hang of it, it will help you access frequently accessed settings with just one "Tap"

The available features in montana is becoming bigger with every new release of the firmware and the beta versions seems to be pretty stable. Some of us already have the 2013 maps on the montana with firmware 4.04 (beta)

I even have proximity sensors setup with a database so that it warns me when i am near certain things. (I leave it you to guess what those things are) :038:
This is a very good tip.

At the beginning I was a bit confused with the button Setup. As I'm coming from GPSMap276C and I never used Nuvi, I was under impression that there is only one setup for the whole device.

However there is a separate setup for each profile and the profile is dominant and has the priority. Switching to different profiles, will bring different setup for selected profile, which you configured earlier.

I'm discovering a new world now :011:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

I subscribed now to Birds Imagery for USD 29.90. At first attempt and my logic I was thinking about lost money as the result was a disaster on Montana; low resolution, nothing you can see properly.
What I did wrong, was that I selected the whole UAE as a segment and tried to download it. The download option gave me only standard resolution not the highest...
Anyway, after thinking, I realized, that the whole Birdseye Imagery is organized in BaseCamp as tiles, similarly to Google Earth. So before the actual download you need to set a tile segment in BaseCamp by width and height and the highest resolution and it gives the maximum size which you can download at the moment (don't worry about the size as Montana has enough memory to store all these tiles). However name it logically. After download you can select another segment on the map, to download it. In this way you are creating tiles in BaseCamp for the whole territory. These segments you can upload to the device and they will display properly.
Additional advantage is, that your BaseCamp map has the satellite maps, no more yellow background, so you can easily add your points and plan your routes. No more there is needed in between step to go to Google Earth.

On Montana all these tiles are stored in directory Garmin>BirdsEye as .jnx files. If you are unhappy with some of them, you can just delete it directly.
In BaseCamp there are in My Collection, with special BirdsEye icon, so you can anytime delete the as well.

Enjoy !