Drives 1 - 5 (The Drops)

sparrow

I am not condoning the terrible behaviour of bundling trip reports together … I have been very very bad. But … better late than never!? This is a massive trip report so feel free to skip over to any parts that might be interesting.
Here is a list of lessons I’ve learnt so far kind of in the order that I learnt them have a nice day

Momentum + Steering

I’ve learned that momentum is key but to have momentum you need to learn to steer in the sand.

So my first lesson was learning to ‘understeer’. “I am driving a bus” is what I would tell myself. My Jimny is manual and my 1st gear is very low. So I have the options of being slow and in control and then screaming up dunes with wheels spinning in 1st or to keep up my momentum and glide in 2nd gear at speed. However, like on drive 3 I was racing around in 2nd gear oversteering like crazy and smacked straight into a bank resulting in a pop out. Whoops! :dizzy:

S p a c i n g

On my first drives my most common second tries were from being too close to the car in front. I would be in second gear, we are heading up a dune, all is going well and … the car in front slows down and I scramble for the gear stick to get into first as my Jimny coughs and splutters and gives up. Now I try to keep my spacing by pausing on the flats and tops of dunes and then I can keep my momentum in the important parts.

Climbing big dunes in second

I have learnt that on the bigger climbs where I have a run up it’s best for me to be in 2nd not 1st. In 1st gear I just didn’t have the power and @Solmaz suggested to try again in 2nd and it was much easier. Thank you Solmaz.

Gravity

I have heard it so many times and been watching as a passenger but feeling it is something to get used to. I learnt that by the time my mind says “oh I think I’m fighting gravity and I should turn down or I might roll over” then it’s too late to actually turn down and I get stuck in a precarious position on the side of a dune. you're kidding, right I think I’m slowly learning to feel it earlier and also to just have in mind whenever there is a ‘sideways struggle’ just turn down to be safe. Especially since I have a light boxy car.

Flying

I’ve done a bit of flying. I find it quite exhilarating but I’m aware that my Jimy isn’t really built for air time. I remember one moment on drive 4 when I was struggling to get up a dune. I was so fixated on getting up the beast that I didn’t even think about the other side. I flew and the dune on the other side was going kind sideways which was a bit scary.

Radio

I am remembering more and more to give clearance and to be quick to use it. I do find that if I do get into a scary position though (like my crazy flight on drive 4) I was a bit in shock for a moment and didn’t get to my radio straight away. I must learn to radio in first and calm down later. Also the ear piece has been a breakthrough for me - so much easier and also less crackling.

Pop outs

It’s usually because I’m fighting gravity or just driving smack into some sand - neither good. I have had quite a few by now so I’m getting used to what needs to happen. I also was a passenger for @dorudoru in the Pajero days so yeah I’ve seen quite a few. I’m lucky to be surrounded by so many kind gentlemen who rescue me like a damsel in distress. Thank you all, everyone is so helpful and you don’t make me feel stupid for making everyone work hard in the heat. I would like to say though that I want to dig and I want to learn to do everything myself eventually so throw me a spade every once in a while and I will get on with it thumbsup

Drops in second

I learnt on drive 5 (the drops) that it’s best for me to be in second gear as I come down because my 1st gear slows me down too much. It’s a bit tricky because I often need to climb in 1st and then remember to change to second on the crest. Otherwise things get a bit messy changing gear on the way down. Still working it out.

AC
A working AC is important. That is all.

My Jimny

My Jimny (Jess) is such a fantastic car. I’m in loooove love She is so much fun to drive. I remember when James suggested Doruk and I swap cars and I drove the FJ in the sand. It’s like driving a tank! wtfsmilie Who wants a tank when you could have a go kart? Just saying … Jimny’s are awesome and quite frankly driving an FJ is cheating ;)

The Community

Finally I want to say that the Almost 4x4 community is amazing. You are all so kind, welcoming and patient. I feel a part of a family in a still fairly new city and I’m grateful for that. It’s such a relief to be a part of nature and to escape from the city with a good dose of adrenaline. Thank you to @alshamsi_m and all the marshals for making me feel safe and for helping me learn so much so fast. I’m excited for the rest of the journey!

See you in the sand,

Emma grin