The Drops

Ehab
media
media

The Drops, to be precise 16 + 1 (bonus) drops in Sharjah desert, 25KM with breathtaking drops, amazing drive prior summer holidays.
@alshamsi_m , thank you very much to accommodate myself and @nidal78 even though you had more than 14 Almosters who qualify for this trip, highly appreciated.
As “media team” (new assignment by @alshamsi_m ) :) and as an appreciation to Almost4x4, i created not only one video but 9, enjoy

Blue FJ

Red GMC @nidal78

White Jimny @sparrow

Dark Grey JK

White Prado

Silver Xterra

Dark Blue JL @mpodroid

Raptor

I tried to zoom in and upload the videos but i lost the resolution, so i uploaded the videos as is and i hope you will be able to zoom through YouTube it self.

Special thanks to @Barish @Solmaz @Abu Odai @haider alnuaimi @Mahmoodyasin and all other rescue and support team, your efforts are highly appreciated.

See you all after summer holidays.
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello everyone

The plan was simple,  drive 16 km with 16 drops in total.  There were some hidden climbs as well with hidden extra drops buy 16 was the highlight number.

Although Summer started few days back,  the weather was quite good for the whole drive. I started the drive with pretty fast base to go straight to the drops which was straight to the point.  Nevertheless,  we reached the Fossil Rock 1 hour earlier than scheduled so I had to give the members an extra tour around the rocks for their very good performance.

I hope by now some of you got the handle on the way you should control your car while going down,  because accidents happen when driver is going down not up.

Thanks for all the advance / intermediates who should up to support and Special thanks to @Solmaz & @Barish for showing up to support too.

Looking forward to see you soon in the sand

Cheers
Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Zain

Hello Almosters,

Firstly as always, thank you to @alshamsi_m and all the other marshals and support crew for coming together and organizing this drive. It was well planned and the entire drive was very enjoyable and safe. Also Thank you @Ehab for documenting the drive so well and making a separate video for my car thumbsup

The aim of this drive was to practice drops so in order to do that, the route planned consisted of 16 drops. We had a single convoy of 14 cars, I was behind @theDanutz and in front of @Ehab.

In line with the objective of the drive to practice drops, the track was going from one drop to the other. The marshals and the support crew were teaching us the basics of where to line up before a drop, when to give clear, how to not fish tail, how to use engine breaking while decending and other tips. All of these were new lessons that I learned and will be implementing them in future drives.

While ascending for some of the drops, I did get stuck before the top and had to do second tries. This is well documented in the video made by @Ehab. I realized I needed a bit more momentum and should fight the instinct to lift of. On the other hand, we were instructed to not go too fast and end up 'flying' from the top of the dune. It is a fine balance that becomes better with practice. Half-way through the drive I noticed I was able to find that balance.

Hope to see everyone on the sand, another day, another drive and with more lessons to learn.

Zain,
Blue FJ
brett
Crew
Crew

Dear Almosters,

Once again i was fortunate to be allowed the privilege of heading out with the -5 bunch to hone my skills in Wasp VII. Big thanks to @alshamsi_m
The 45min drive to the meeting point was well worth the 5am wake up alarm.
Pleasant weather for an early summer morning. It was great to see so many of the current newbie batch ready for the challenges and learning experience.
True to the name of the drive 16 drops in 16km heading off as 2nd lead is always a challenge in its self with the responsibility of follwing instructions from the lead driver while ensuring the convoy behind stays safe and together. Even with more drives under my belt than the majority of the newbies present there were some challenges to the drive. Towards the end as we were ahead on time @alshamsi_m in his own classic style decided to spice things up a bit around fossil rock before we headed to the already announced 16th drop challenge that some would be informed they would not be attempting. So around fossil rock at a fast pace. There was bedlam (no mayhem) as the convoy managed to get completely messed up disjointed and lost tracks. Eventually the flock was rounded up by the ever present marshals and advanced drivers. Once the convoy was as one again we headed into so very tight technical areas that (as planned by our leader) caused a number of stucks, popouts and 2nd tries for the Newbies. But hey thats why we are out there to learn and develop.
At the end of the drive there were smiling faces all around so another successful adventure with ALMOST4X4

Special thanks to @Barish for organizing and the advanced and intermediate drivers without who’s support and guidance these drives would not be possible. You are our guardian angels.

My Takeaways
- communication listen to the radio for instruction and guidance
- at this level turn off the music concentrate (refer point 1
- call your clear on the radio When you are actually clear not half way down a drop or still in the danger zone. Refer point 1
- keep the correct pace and distance so you can follow the intended track. If lost refer point 1
- every drive your skills are developing. Listen watch and learn.
- egos are best kept for around the camp fire not while driving in a convoy.

Hope to see you all again soon ready for our next ALMOST4X4 adventure

Regards

Brett
Wasp VII
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
nidal78
media
media

First of all i would like to thank our beloved founder and leader M SHAMSI for organizing this lovely drive
The Drops trip was all about training how to drive your car throw different kind of drops, how to understand your car capabilities and how to use you gear box in a safety way
for me i enjoyed it a lot i didn't have any issue except my broken flag (thanks to Gabor for taking care of it) and as Brett mentioned in his report due the extra time to finish the trip Abu Salim added his flavors to the drive and give us some extra challenges by driving around the fossil rock in some technical areas so some members get surprises ;)
finally i want to thank everyone in this drive specially marshals BARISH & SOLMAZ supporting team Abu Odai,Mahmood Yasin,Gabor,Petr,Haider,Sorin and Ammar for all their efforts to keep everyone happy and safe.
see you all on sand soon
theDanutz

Dear Almosters,

Another beautiful day in the desert! have a nice day

The Drops track is magnificent, in my opinion it should be part of every Desert driving tutorial - cookbook! So much to learn! brigade.baka-wolf.com You know, my biggest fear before was being on top of big dunes.. Now it’s gone; You taught me very well how to handle these big slopes! Confidence, calm, thoughtful instructions.. and in no time my Pajero was for the first time in such a fantastic situation! Extremely grateful for this experience! have a nice day

Plus - the views on top are breathless! ... also while I was driving from Fossil rock back to Dubai, the desert on the left and the right of the road, didn’t seem that scary anymore!... for the first time in the past 10+ years! cool

Thank you @Alshamsi_m and Organizers for this day out! Before each drop, Advance and Intermediate members were staying in sun.. and carefully organizing us to be safe during descents! It is a trip to remember! I sent videos to all my friends back home.. everyone was woow!

Dear @Solmaz, Thank you very much for your help and priceless instructions again; It’s soo calming to see you on the tricky points and encouraging us every time, great tips and with a big smile!

@Barish I’m grateful for all your support! It’s amazing how you are everywhere, see everything and guide us in every move; I’m happy you are pushing us toward our limits and enable us to discover the tricky things on our own! I can’t wait for next drive! :you_re_kidding_right:

On a personal side, during this drive I had 2 second attempts under @Solmaz and @Barish supervision and I’m happy I could manage them without “bothering” the Rescue team, but all thanks to your advice! Pressure is key, and I also used 4L for first time.. then “floored it..” and got out of the rut;

Apart from this, yes, I had a crest :angry: (I was not focused enough and got stuck) and you know, thanks to tips learned from @Barish and @Sorin during EIB day (when I got stuck 3 times.. while I was “audience”), I managed to get the car moving.. all with a series of left-right wheel movement while enabling the TC. I’m happy I didn’t have to clean the rope this time either grin
I guess after 5 drives I just started to know my car a bit more and get confident with it and how it behaves;

This trip was my 5th trip, kind of milestone for me; now I’m in 5+ category. cool Baby steps but very safe steps; I’m greatful to everyone involved in organizing this event;

Also for first time, I feel sad for going on vacation - I'll miss several trips; But I will be back after EID; I can't wait! have a nice day

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your families a happy EID holidays, health and prosperity! EID Mubarak!!

P.S. after the drive, while we were inflating our tires near the road.. a person came asking support.. and when outside was reaching 50.. @Sorin immediately offered and went to help the stuck car, few KMs ahead; By the time I tried to reach also, the job was already done; Well done @Sorin, you deserve a big round of applause; thumbsup just few month back.. I could have been the same guy!

It is truly an understatement of how helpful the people in Almost 4x4 are!! I'm grateful to be part of this family!

Best regards,
Dan

Last edited by theDanutz on Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

All credits for @mpodroid
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Mahmoodyasin
Advance
Advance

"A 16 drop voyage with a gradual upward level of difficulty"
@Shamsi cool had planned the drive to be a single convoy, with intermediates well placed within it while the advance were assigned to take turns on the top of the drops, allowing the leader to assess each driver at the bottom of the climb.
Following each set of drops, a short coaching session helped the drivers to self assess their capabilities and correct their errors.
Surprisingly majority of the drivers did really well and made it across all the drops without any major issues. i could see the excitement and smiles "well done". thumbsup
Apart from few self recoveries and a pop out , the drive was very smooth and everyone enjoyed it.

thankyou @Shamsi @Solmaz @Barish, advance and intermediate crew for a wonderful day in the sand. have a nice day

till next time
Mahmood Yasin
White Fj cruiser.