Summer Constellation - CM Drive

alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello Everyone

Two things were noticeable in this drive, a lot showed up for support and Fewer club members showed up for the drive !!!!

I would like to say thank for all the Marshals & int/adv members who showed up to give an extra hand for our new family members. On the other hand, we noticed whoever joined the list early showed up in the drive and whoever was late never showed up !!!

You might think that the meeting time was too early but having in mind that you are organizing a mega-event like this with over 40 drivers with less experience in the desert and navigating their way in the sand was quite a challenge and people need time !!

The orginal plan was to have 3 convoys but we ended up with 2 only, the plus side that we had plenty of support for our new members ORLY

I was a bit quiet at the beginning but once we started the briefing and driving the joyful guy was back blank. I was in @SINGH 's convoy with @Barish & @presa for support!! We had a v,ery good drive with few tweaks during the drive like fixing a flag, checking the right tyre pressure. Otherwise, the drive was nice with good flow.

I had to leave in the middle of the drive to rescue a died car and pull it out the desert. but I was able to reach the final destination before our convoy which makes me think that you guys had more fun grin

Thanks @Scorpio for organizing this long a waited drive and for briefing too . Congratulation for all who made it to the next step and looking forward to see you next weekend and new STARS thumbsup

http://www.chatbro.com/files/user/2018/ ... 015bb9.mp4
All credits for @Ricardo

Best regards
Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
brett
Crew
Crew

Dear All
Well Here we go my “2nd try” at posting a drive report for this drive. I had written it directly in the forum – hit preview and :ka_boom: Bam ! I was at the log in page and my report had vanished into the abyss of the internet!
I was fortunate to be afforded the opportunity to join by @Scorpio and @alshamsi_m as I am transitioning from J-Wasp (Yellow Jeep) to Wasp VII (Yellow FJ) more on that volatile topic some other time.
It was an early start with my alarm set for 430am in order to reach the meeting point on time for 630am. For some reason there was some confusion with many about the actual deflation point and meeting point but eventually all those who intended to join managed to arrive at the spot.
Out came the Almost4x4 and Tyre manufacturer sponsor banners and the all-important introduction to Almost4x4 and safety briefing was underway by @Scorpio . The group of CM’s were split into 2 convoys, and the marshals and recovery support crews assigned.
I was given the unenviable position of 2nd lead with @Scorpio convoy. It can be a challenge as 2nd lead at the best of times – add to that this was only my 2nd journey into the dunes in the FJ, so I certainly felt like a CM all over again.
We headed off in a convoy of 15 vehicles. It wasn’t long until we encountered the first of many stucks and 2nd tries as the new drivers faced the obstacles presented to them. Always under the watchful and experienced eyes of the senior members and recovery crew. Helping with advice and assistance instructions to ensure everyone remains safe.
At a certain point I was about to follow @Scorpio over a dune when the instruction came “Brett Hold” I was then instructed to attempt the climb 3mtr to the right, after repositioning and the bottom of the dune to get a straight line on the new climb I hit the gas and made the climb – not yet knowing the FJ well I let off the gas at the crest – not wanting to “Fly” only to find myself completely bellied on the crest all 4 wheels spinning freely and the belly up to the floor boards wedge in the soft sand. A very amused @Rashidjass announced over the radio “recovery crew you have another customer”. I was quickly attached to the front of @Scorpio and pulled of the crest. We then at and waited while several of the remained of the convoy experienced multiple 2nd tries and recoveries on the same little unassuming dune.
@Scorpio at times set a very brisk pace and we found ourselves having to ease off and allow the convoy to close the gap.
Reaching the end of the drive there were a lot of smiling faces amongst the CM’s and I hope we get to see more of you out enjoying the Almost4x4 family and drives in the future.
My take away’s as always from this drive (and advice to the New Newbies)
- Leave our ego at home it will only get in the way of the learning process and skill development.
- Listen, watch, observe and learn from the marshals.
- Enjoy the process, as your skill set, and confidence grow the beauty of the UAE desert is amazing.
- There is no embarrassment in getting stuck of having 2nd attempts – it simply means you are pushing your comfort zone.

As always, a huge thanks to all the marshals and crew who made this drive a safe and enjoyable experience.
i wanted to tag everyone but the system keeps kicking me off
Till next time

Brett
WASP VII
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
mpodroid
media
media

New member drive after a long time. Initially I registered in the rescue team, then @Lupo decided to give a try to desert, so I handed over my car and joined the driver a passenger.

Some challenge reaching the meeting point, but we arrived on time. I expected to find a lot of new members (more than 40 were registered), but almost half of them did not show up.

@Scorpio introduced the club, the values and history. After the kick-off briefing, we split in two convoy and lined up.

Frankly speaking, I was a bit nervous: being a passenger in your car is not that easy and @Lupo did very well for his first drive in the sand.

I was in @SINGH convoy: all club members did well, the flow has been good and just a few stuck and a bit of show, due to inexperience: I am afraid that @presa lost some hair because of it.

As usual, being stuck is fine and safe: better a bit slower than too fast.

Anyway, it has been a fun day.
Thanks to the organisers and the huge support team.

Marco
If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Rune's Rule
Murphy's Law
giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

Summer Constellation - CM Drive:

Club member drives are not happening that often so when there is one it is an nice opportunity for the older members to meet up as well as welcome the new comers.

I love early morning drives as it provides the opportunity for early finish and allow more time with the family for the rest of the weekend.

Briefing was short ( believe me when I say there are so many more things that could be said ) from our organizer as the weather was quite hot although quite early.

Point of the CM drive is to first interduce the new drivers the principles of dessert off-roading ( theory and practice) .

I was assigned to support @SINGH convoy under @alshamsi_m @Barish and @presa along with @Abu Odai.

Lessons to be learned from this first drive was:
a) proper distance
b) radio communication
c) momentum
Team work

The group over all did well without putting a lot of pressure to the rescue team (thank you guys, it was quite hot) and ending to the final destination on schedule.

If there is one thing that I have learned been with Almost is that if you want to learn you need to stick with the club and do not miss drives. Every drive you gain skills that you will need to have in your arsenal for the next drive. Missing one drive maybe ok but missing more than two in a row will result to firefighting a lot catching up to do.

I was happy to see so many newcomers having their tools inspected which can only mean one thing, Next drive will be AWSONE ......

It was nice meeting you all and hope to see most of you next drive

Last edited by giorgio on Tue May 25, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of the sheep
Iqbal

Thank you very Much, Al Shamsi, Scorpio, and all Marshals, to organise, such a wonderful event..We enjoyed to the core.. aprt from couple of tweeks, which happened to me, I did enjoy, and wan to be with you for the next drive.
Once again.. Thanks a lot.
Scorpio
Marshal
Marshal

Hello Everyone,

A warm welcome to all the new members to Almost4x4 thumbsup .

The club member drive is always special as we get to meet with new faces, make new friends and extend our second family. In the last couple of days before the drive, I was approached by many new members who were willing to join the drive and fortunately I was able to accommodate all of them, thanks to the great support from @alshamsi_m, Marshalls and Inter/Adv support team.

On the drive day, it was great meeting with you all who joined. The event started off with the off-road 101 briefing followed by convoy formation. As we did not have all the registered members showed up for the drive, we made two convoys; one to be led by me and the other by @SINGH.

I had @Rashidjass with me as the floating marshall, and three Advance members @optimus, @Mahmoodyasin and @Youssef.Abdelhady who were also floating and two intermediates @Gabor and @Jasper who were within the convoy. We had a very nice drive with many learning opportunities in between the start and end point.

As I had explained in the morning briefing, the lead car crafts the way for the convoy and the 2nd lead follows that path but if there comes an obstacle that is not apt for the convoy level and if the leading marshall finds it risky for the members than he informs the 2nd lead to change the track. This is what exactly happened with our convoy; when I did a straight crest to find there is ditch on the other side, went in it, came out and advised @brett to go 3metres to the right and then cross the dune in order to avoid that technical ditch which was a bit tricky for club members to deal with in their first drive. The drive ended as planned and then there was a round of tools inspection.

Congratulations to the ones who have already got their first [flash=]STAR[/flash]; we hope to meet you on Friday in Newbie level. Others who are completing their tools can contact the same marshall who had done the inspection for them once you have all the required off-road equipment ready.

See you on the sand soon..

Cheers
Scorpio
+971 55 5804488
Drives a grey FJ 'Everest'
The race for excellence has no finish line!
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Hi old Almosters and welcome to new Almosters!

We had a great drive with many new faces who wake up early to join Almost4x4 family on this Friday morning drive.

Many already requested the upgrade so can join the next Friday drive, well done!!

Looking fwd to see you at the desert!