Wide open throttle

Tomvanhouten
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi all,

Now, where to start....
Long awaited for drive, for sure..but man, what a treat. I had absolutely a blast!

Finally, that pm arrived, after the drive was postponed two times and when I first saw the meeting point...what is there exactly? I only knew the area from the club member drive ending, but it turned out to be a massive surprise.

We started climbing fossil rock and once up, I got out of my car to check if I forgot something during drive prep... Remember saying no power. No man, the sand is powder soft...ohw.

Having done some challenges in this area, we moved on towards 2nd december and later, Badayer.
I simply cannot imagine a better way to spend Friday morning!

The convoy was fantastic, the marshals and support team were really great.
Thank you so much @Booy @presa , @Rashidjass , @Johanna , @optimus , @mpodroid it was really superb spending this drive in this way with you.

Thanks to all my partners in crime, which were keeping the flow as a strong convoy should be, great!!

Hopefully see you all soon

Tom
Booy
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hello everyone,

The drive was true to its name, and most of the time the throttles were wide open as we drove merciless from Fossil rock to Badayer.

Some members drove in that area many times before, not realizing what potential these dunes hold at the "right speed" - some did not even know that they drove there before. I suppose there was not much time for sight seeing :)

The convoy did really well, and everyone kept a good pace, which means fun to the max!

Thanks to everyone who joined - I had a great morning with great company!

See you again soon - and don't forget the Ramadan night drives - they are going to be fantastic.

Regards,

Booy
@Booy

Blue FJ Cruiser, with an Atlas on the door
mpodroid
media
media

Drive dedicated to newbies 20+, so I was expecting a fast drive, few situations.

I arrived at the meeting point: only 5 newbies, 3 marshals and 3 rescuers. This was a clear sign of what we were going to have a fast drive: @Booy started immediately with wide open throttle and yes, he pushed a lot to give to the grown up newbies the taste of higher level drives.

The drive was amazing, dunes not high, but a lot of sidecresting, sharp turns and incredible sightseeing.

The location seemed familiar, but I could not remember it. While editing the video I finally realised: this is the place where I had my “catch me if you can” drive. Back then, I was too busy trying to keep up the pace to watch the landscape, which is really unique.

My compliments to newbies 20+: they kept up with a demanding drive.
Personal recommendation: drive carefully in the forthcoming weeks and keep your car ready cool

Marco
Last edited by mpodroid on Sat May 08, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Rune's Rule
Murphy's Law
kriskian
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi All,

A perfect start to the weekend is what i call a drive like this.....It was fast and thrilling from the start till the end... most of the drive was without any stoppage .....we had couple of second trys and one tricky rescuse that added to the learning of all the drivers.

A learning for me was to ensure that the gap between the cars is neither to much or two less, in a techinical areas where you have a lot of switching it is important thta you dont loose the car in front of you and neither do you get to close. The gap has to be just right and you have to keep your self alert especially when the speed of the drive is as high.

Thanks to all the Marshals, Inters & Advance for the experience
kriskian,
Grey FJ
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Almosters!

We had a great drive lead by @Booy this Friday morning.

Terrain was great, with a few other convoys, but no problem with it.

The leading car choice of tracks was awesome, making the cars behind it struggle to keep the pace, on an area that some people dont realize the potential!

The drive was mostly without incidents, but distance, that were too much on a few occasions.
James

Real apologies for the late trip report… do not want to dwell on the fantastic, great and absolutely unnecessary roadblocks put in place this week with some of the most intelligent people I have ever had the honor of dealing with…. Not!

So on to the adventure, a recipe for success with a top lead @Booy, second lead @Tomvanhouten captured on video @mpodroid, supported by @Johanna, @optimus, @presa and @Rashidjass great start to the drive with the LC, absolute mesmerizing scenery with the mountains, great dunes with close quarters to rocks, were advised to be extra vigilant @Booy, loved chasing @Booy and second lead @Tomvanhouten with a fast pace so had a phenomenal time until I found myself stuck in a bowl…. round and round, we go to try to get out with the memory of @alshamsi_m from a previous drive, don’t hit the bush…. That was really interesting but made my way out eventually. I must add that I found a little comfort in the support team also not being able to follow the line to make it out, however, thanks to @Rashidjass, where there is a will, there is a way so we went out the other way round and life was back on track.

The drive design was brilliant @Booy, the pace was really enjoyable and the drive was fantastic until I could not make the last small but not so demanding climb and got stuck at an interesting angle… the support from the Almost family was fantastic, I have to thank @presa for jumping on the side step with @Rashidjass, @optimus and @Booy and @Johanna with @Tomvanhouten being the anchor. At one point I was asked, is there a tilt level alarm and could only answer, yes me as the old girl wobbled. Maybe the movements were exaggerated but once we had the line secured on the front with @Johanna and @Tomvanhouten, there was a little relief for sure.

My exit off the dune was not the most graceful and as a message, next time once out of the tight spot, I will get out to look before recovering so in this instance, reversed back and over a bush that bent the exhaust pipe, thanks to @Rashidjass, @mpodroid, @Tomvanhouten and all the additional support and advise, it was bent straight with me then leaving the drive as a not happy camper. I had it fixed in no time with the usual local suspects trying to negotiate with a negotiator so within 30 minutes it was done. I then got home and checked my tool box to confirm I had a hacksaw so should have just cut the puppy off and carried on…..

This was a very enjoyable drive, right up there and for sure a memorable one as I retire the LC for now.