Wheels of fire II

Johanna
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hello everyone,

intermediates got spoiled lately with drives in the big dunes of Al Wagan, Sweihan, Um Al Oush...
So I thought we will have relaxing afternoon drive in good old Faqaa, medium sized dunes, basically nothing new and for sure not GoPro worthy....

I WAS SO WRONG ORLY

Our convoy was small, just six intermediates and @Solmaz leading and @Agalon floating. @David managed somehow to get on her list and was assigned second lead thumbsup.
First part was a bit technical until we reached the higher dunes. After around one hour into the drive, something klicked. @Solmaz went all out, giving us a side crest festival par excellence.
I noticed that her lines are very unique compared to our other marshals, and I had some moments when I watched her thinking like "that does not look like a good...oh ok its doable" cool
Although the dunes are medium sized and usually not sharp from both sides, they can be tricky as some of them are curved or have nasty ditches on the other side and couple of times I was very thankful for my skidplate.

I noticed that in the last drives I did not experience any "oh shit" moments, but instead the confidence that I can handle whatever might come. So that confidence got tested couple of times when I side crested almost blind with the sun in the back, approaching a curved crest or riding a crest until the dune suddenly finishes. At some moments I solely relied on my gut feeling and fast reactions.

I really regret that I left my camera at home, the cars dancing on the dunes into the sunset just looked fantastic :in_love:
But luckily @Sorin caught some beautiful moments with his GoPro.

It is diffcult to compare drives in different areas, but this was for sure one of the best drives i had so far. Here is why:

1. A flowing drive is good drive. And we had almost a non stop flowing convoy for full 4 hours. I finished a full tank!
2. The unique lines @Solmaz was driving, she made the absolute best out of the given terrain.
3. Less is more - only 6 cars in the convoy.
4. The family spirit was somehow very present at this drive, at least for me.
5. No tracks in the area, just clean dunes everywhere.

I guess we are all agree to come back soon, this time with more cameras! Thank you @Ammarxterra, @SameRaptoRed @David @Sorin @Bu Touma and @Agalon for this unforgetable afternoon and the great company as usual.

@Solmaz you nailed it with this drive, we need you to lead in the big dunes! :in_love:
Last edited by Johanna on Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BR, Johanna

If it excites you and scares you at the same time, it probably means you should do it.
David
Intermediate
Intermediate

Where to start ... for once at the end, that was AMAZING!!!, my favorite drive ever that does not require a PCR, I could not imagine you could have so much fun in Al Faqaa. OSMILEY

Now back to the start, I was not expecting a drive this weekend, Marshalls going to Liwa so probably nothing else planned, message in the chat from Solmaz, quickly to the app, there is a drive, book, I am in, now lets check when it is ... Oh no ... and now how do I re-arrange things not to miss it ... pacman

Reached the MP, small convoy, Solmaz and Agalon plus Johanna, Sorin, Ammar, Samer, Bu Touma and myself, perfect conditions, less is more, order as you wish only you (that's me) going 2nd, joke cracked on the chat got me on her books and it was time to pay, and of course she did make me pay, my 3rd ever pop-out and 1st with the Almost family, so happy it happened in such a great drive following (or trying to follow) such an amazing driver. I will not dare to get on her black list ever, however, I would love to be 2nd lead again, I know that there are some other drivers that also love the 2nd lead so this privilege must be shared but I can not wait for my next chance.

The drive itself, I was not expecting anything like that, yes, intermediate drive in Al Faqaa but that, to me, was something else, the convoy did so well, radio silence most of the afternoon so pedal to the metal and try to follow the Marshall, fantastic flow, crest, arches, sidecresting ... and all at a great speed, I could not stop thinking about the drive for a long time, and it really raised some questions, I have no doubts that she did not push herself to the limit, but then, where is the limit???, when you think you are improving a drive like this comes along and shows you that there is still a long way ahead, glad that is the case as loving the journey. pacman

Can you go through a full tank in one afternoon in Al Faqaa?, it seems yes, something else new that I just found out. 45min to the end of the drive a couple of cars made their way to the exit, I had thought about it in advance, my kids where in RAK and after the drive I had to head there for BBQ and camping, perfect opportunity to leave a bit early as I had planned but no way I am going to miss anything of this drive, kids can wait for dinner ...

Now the bad news, Samer forgot his GoPro360 so it seems we will have to go back to do the same track with the same convoy, it was agreed wasn't it???, or was it my wishful thinking??? ORLY

Finally time to say thank you, first of all to my intermediate friends that attended the drive, second to Agalon for watching over us and finally to the one and only Solmaz, what an afternoon that was!!!

See you on the sand soon.
SameRaptoRed
Intermediate
Intermediate

Unforgettable afternoon with the Turkish marshals @Solmaz @Agalon
As all the intermediates we thought that this drive will be easy and relaxing , not with the great driving style done by @Solmaz kudos 💪💪💪
Thanks for @David @Johanna @Sorin @Bu Touma @Ammarxterra for the great drive , one of my favourite drives with you
See you in next drives
Sand is where i find myself performing thumbsup
Sorin
media
media

Hi everyone,

What a great afternoon in Al Faqaa this was! We had a fantastic drive behind @Solmaz and as everybody said above, unexpectedly awesome :)))

The area was not touched by other cars and we got to flatten most of the “good-looking” dunes and have a feel of the extra soft sand in some areas.

I was happy I could keep up with the pack and even though I ended the drive a bit early due to my shock mounts being loose/broken, I enjoyed every bit of it and happy I had a chance to record the first part with my GoPro.

As @David said, I think it is agreed that we have to come back soon in the same formula but with extra cameras 🎥 :))

Many thanks to @Solmaz for this awesome drive and @Agalon for looking after us and thanks to all the other inters @SameRaptoRed @Johanna @Ammarxterra @Bu Touma for your company!

See you all soon!
I approve this message ⬆️
Bu Touma
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi everybody,

All of you described very well how nice the drive was and better than I could do it myself. I can say it was indeed one of the best drives I had, I personally like a lot al Faqa’a area and being able to join an intermediate drive with small convoy, I think it was the ideal set up. All merit and thanks goes to @Solmaz and @Agalon for the top notch lead and for looking at our backs all the time, but also a big thanks to the fellow intermediates (@David, @Johanna, @Sorin, @SameRaptoRed, @Ammarxterra) for enjoying together a great afternoon.

Although at the end I had to leave early because I was not feeling well (🤢 it happens..😁), I’m grateful and looking forward for new drives such this one.

Cheers
Bu Touma