One Step 4ward

mohamad.kahawati

Hi All,

First i want to thank Almost4x4 team for today's trip, it was well organized, safe and enjoyable.

I started from my home @ al Barsha, picking a nice big cafe latte from Starbucks heading to the meeting point enjoying the early morning. wait i forgot to mention egg sausage from McDonalds Psmiley

Briefing from Signh and we kicked off the ride. First 50 Meters, we met the camels ( i like seeing them in the desert) and directly the action started woooow. i knew then that this will be a special trip for a newbie like me.

i learned a lot from this session, it was the first time i use the manual gear and i felt the difference, to be honest, without it i think i couldn't make the dunes since this trip had nice ones.

i advise every one to listen to the marshals tips, trust me you use them while driving and they make big difference.

cant wait my next ride with you guys, what a professional team.
SRS

Hi All,

First i want to thank Almost4x4 team for today's trip, it was well organized, safe and enjoyable.

I started from Alhamriyah , picking a nice Coffe home made heading to the meeting point enjoying the early morning.

Briefing from Signh and we kicked off the ride. First 30 min we stopped to take an adivce from the founder Alshamsi. And then we continued our amazing trip

i learned a lot from this session, And enjoyed ever single moment.

i advise every one to listen to the marshals tips, trust me you use them while driving and they make big difference.

Again I want to Thanks: @SINGH , @alshamsi_m, @giorgio , @optimus .

cant wait my next ride with you guys, what a professional team.
Last edited by Phoenix on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post moved due to duplicate topics, fixed name tags
giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

One Step 4ward:

A 5- drive. The drivers in this fist steps in off-roading had the opportunity to practice two of the most key principles. Throttle control and momentum while approaching a straight crest.

In this early stages second and third tries are unavoidable. It is now that as a new driver will need to master these critical aspects and set a strong foundation for what comes next.

Radio communication also is another important factor that it is not to be underestimated as it is equal important for the safety of all drivers.

The lead car chose a track challenging enough to keep all drivers on their toes but at the same time kept enough time between challenges to ensure that the pressure applied was not overwhelming.

I would like to thank the Organizer and lead car @SINGH @optimus for the support and Abu Salem for swiping.

Thank you all for the nice moring drive and hope to see you all soon
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of the sheep
brett
Crew
Crew

Friday 26 Feb Drive
One Step 4ward

A lovely Friday morning with only a light fog at the meeting point.
So many eager Newbies ready to hit the dunes. I was fortunate enough to be included in the drive (perhaps the powers to be decided I needed more time in the sand to hone my skills more).
So during the briefing I was surprised to discover I would be second lead behind @Singh. With @alshamsi_m sweeping in Big Red., @giorgio , @Abu Salem and @optimus hovering.

So off we are heading into the dunes, large group of camels on our left as we started off. First slightly technical climb with a left turn at the crest. Many 2nd attempts Al Shamsi calls for a quick group meeting once everyone makes it successfully over. Some theory and sand diagrams and we head off again. Let me just say that at 2nd lead the drive is completely different from my usual position towards the back of the convoy. Smooth tracks make such a difference. Directions from the lead – Brett go a meter to the left – Copy, watch the drop, copy, Brett Don’t follow go left – Copy !

This may have been only my 6th drive, but I really felt the experience starting to pay off. The track did not present any technical challenges, but I know from my early drives there were aspects of the track that challenged the Newbies. My advice to the Newbies, listen, watch, learn and put those things into practice, within no time technical aspects that are intimidating in the beginning start to become more routine and you can enjoy the drives more and more as you establish the link between the ability of your vehicle and your ability as a driver.

At some point we encountered a really bumpy track to negotiate (if it were a ski field it would be described as moguls), so I bounced along behind the lead, a fork in the Track and I followed @Singh to the right. Only to discover the 3 car had decided to take the left fork – Singh and I then watched the rest of the convoy also continue to the left fork. We headed back to the left and the convoy reconnected.

As it was now getting late, we headed out of the dunes and into the large flat plains. Tracking along at 80 – 100kph on deflated tires was a fun experience, but due to the dusty conditions we had to ease off and allow the convoy to connect again.

At the end point I saw ear to ear smiles on the faces of all the newbies. As is becoming a habit, I was able to thank the Marshals and other drives with a Peanut Butter sandwich made with my homemade multigrain bread. It was a nice little refill as the hunger was starting to kick in.

After inflating tires and goodbyes all round, I headed off to refuel and gab some real food before heading to the Bo promise afternoon drive

Take away from the morning drive.
- Stay Humble, leave egos at home.
- Listen, watch, and learn.
- Know your limits and the limits of your vehicle.
- There is no shortcut to experience.
- AlMOST4x4 Marshals are experienced, professional and go out of their way to ensure every driver has a positive and safe experience in the sand.
- Be patient and persevere eventually it all starts to click.

Regards to all until the next time

Brett
J-WASP
Last edited by brett on Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
Claude
It’s my birthday

Thank you very much Almost4x4 team (marshals, advanced and intermediate drivers) for such a nice drive and super clean organisation!
As usual 15 minutes before start, almost everyone is there, finishing deflating and putting up flag. Briefing / Convoy formation and let’s go!
The chosen area was one where I never had the opportunity to put the wheels and has the benefit to be pretty empty. Great! The color of the sand (quite clear) told me that it might not be as supportive as other darker areas. I tried to keep this in memory for when the sand hardness varies from areas where the wind removes the sand to where sand aggregates to create nice very soft places which have the tendency to love keep your car comfy… :)
Shamzi took the time to explain us how to climb with the right impulse/speed and avoid being crested/having to do second try and also reminded us how to go avoid fish tailing when going down on bowls.
The drive presented some great diversity: a bit of technical dunes, a bit of up and down on bigger dunes with some very nice lines (I felt I was back on skis;) and a little of fast driving on the flat! Pretty complete menu :) Laurent and I just loved it!
Thank you very much for this guys and all your great care and advices to keep us all safe and always learning. Great time!
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Almosters, great morning drive with @SINGH leading, @alshamsi_m, @optimus and @giorgio supporting the group!

The Al Faqa area is a very good area to drive, with small and medium size dunes and different level of obstacles, what gives flexibility to the leading marshal increase the drive level according to the convoy :)

Our leading Marshal Singh did a very nice track, with climbs, technical areas, some soft sand and higher speed on the Sabkha, what was a good challenge for the drivers and from the face of them at the end, it seems that they like it!

The increase in the skills is noticeable and is important, as Giorgio mentioned before, to keep and eye on radio communication and also on the distance from the car in front of you, so you dont lose the track and can adjust your speed depending on the behavior of the car ahead.

Ps. Special thanks to @giorgio who performed many many rescues, up to a point that he was keeping the rope attached to his car :)

Hope all have a great week!