Afternoon workout

Tomvanhouten
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello everyone,

Our day has been great! First I was a passenger to my wife @Laarni , in the morning. Must say, that was a great experience, although she might complain, it wasn't Psmiley

In the afternoon, I joined the Afternoon Workout with @Booy and @alshamsi_m as the marshalls. Being in Booy's convoy is always great and the flow is more then satisfying.
The afternoon passed by like it was nothing and I really was surprised seeing the time at a certain moment, it went sooo fast.

The drive itself took us from Al Qudra towards Al Faqaa at higher speeds and once arrived there, we played around in the dune chains, several times going back for the same crest, absolutely lovely!
And there was @Rashidjass with @optimus all of the sudden. Guess, they decided to stick around the convoy, offering some help were it was needed, what a great club it is!!!

Ten minutes before the end, my car lost power and looking at the dash showed a blinking battery light and very low voltage unfortunately.
We went out using low power of the engine and somehow the systems came back to life. Luckily, we came home without any difficulties and today I took the alternator out so rectify the issue.

Thank you all once more, had a lovely day!!

Tom
David
Intermediate
Intermediate

Joined the trip as support and training, meeting point in Al Qudra, 2 convoys lead by @alshamsi_m and @Booy, I was asked to join Booy´s as second lead with @Rathica and @Johanna as additional support.

Small technical dunes until we reached the west side of Al Faqaa with the intention of going East, Booy had asked before the start if anyone had not been to this area before, silence was the answer, good experienced +10 so expecting to do well in these dunes.

Marshall started gently carving the dunes, not aggressive crosses or approaches, always difficult to say how the convoy was doing when 2nd lead as you only see the car in front of you (that was doing OK) but judging by the almost non-existing 2nd tries or rescues I think we can conclude that everyone quite comfortable.

Half way into the drive @Rashid was spotted followed by @Optimus and @Mahmoodyasin, I guess still some petrol left in those massive tanks from the morning drive so they joined the convoy.

All of the sudden it was as if Lava´s evil spirit had talked to Booy´s FJ and the pace and difficulty of the drive increased, convoy still doing well but a couple of little issues here and there mainly in a shorter than expected dune that had to be side-crossed.

When the drive was about to finish one of the cars in the convoy suffered some mechanical problems, luckily nothing major and it will be most likely sorted as I write this report, exit on to the tarmac via easiest route and time to go home.

Once again a fantastic afternoon in the sand, very relaxed and calm compared to the previous week, I am sure my car enjoyed it.

See you on the sand soon!!!
Nabeel

Just as the title - It was really an enjoyed - 'Afternoon workout'.... thumbsup

The total convoy was split into 2, lead one by @Booy & the other by @alshamsi_m . I was placed under @alshamsi_m 's convoy driving from Al Qudra to closer to Al Faqa and back.

Was a new area to me and a new driving experience as well.... driving on to the crest, crossing over gently for the first part and later on we were all moving parallel lines on top of the crest sliding over down and then again.

The high pace drives in the flat areas (sabkah) were amazing and equally challenging as it would literally blind you :XD: with the amount of sand/dust that covers your wind screen.... Often, you would see a slight shadow only to realize later that it's a tree up ahead.... zomg

Had a few stucks in the convoy.... the sand was really soft and a pop out recovery at a slope which was a new learning experience as well....

Lessons/experience gained -
When the convoy stops find the best spot for you to halt, so you can take off later smoothly and don't risk sinking in.
Still need to learn to manage the pace/power efficiently so you can avoid fish tailing on the crest.
Pop out situation on slope

Every drive needs to be taken afresh as there are tons and tons to discover and learn.... have a nice day

Until next time... Thanks to the Marshals @alshamsi_m , @Booy and the supports @Bu Zayed , @Loca, @Yazan Ali ..... see the family back on sand....!!!

Thanks,
Nabeel.
Mehdi

Hello almosters, thumbsup

I take the time to write a few lines because it's been a year since I integrated Almost 4x4.
I have to my credit a total of 16 outings, this credit partly due to the pandemic ...

Beyond a year rich in twists and turns, and a count of the number of outings ... I must admit that even if my experience of these various terrains offered by our marshals is only relative I also made a lot of progress.
it was not only linear, and sometimes the comfort of a member of this great family instilled in me a new desire, that of surpassing myself a little more at each reunion!

it is quite normal that this 1st anniversary is entirely dedicated to thanks all the people who invest themselves before, during and after each outing.
There are far too many of you to list yourselves, but I am addressing all of you.

thank you from the bottom of my heart for your warm welcome, and the constant monitoring that you bring to us.
I am very proud to have found you, take care of you, and your brothers & sisters.

long life to Almost 4x4,
and I look forward to meeting you on the sand. pacman
James

Afternoon Workout and that it was!
A great start so thank you to @Booy and @alshamsi_m ….. with @Booy in the lead of our convoy, and a good second lead @David so there was a smooth flow supported by @Johanna . A fair share of the technical close together challenging dunes in the big girl but really enjoyable as it makes it even more fun, followed by full sweeping dunes, another great opportunity to challenge the LC power to weight ratio. The delight of technical dunes, challenges those out for a slow Sunday drive, increases the blood flow and smiles on the faces.

Towards the end, I found myself asking the convoy to hold up as I was stuck, and I mean stuck.
No one could find me hidden in the bowl of fortune, I listened to the radio, @Rashidjass I cannot see him, a few choice words on how long does your flag pole need to be but keeping in mind the independence and advise we have been given over the drives so, 4-wheel low, diff-lock and all the beeping LC chooses in that moment, a big push back, out of the dust a couple of times before I could then get the infamous low and diff-lock disengaged before making it out. An interesting progression as I believe that Almost has the right approach and attitude that is with their support and tuition, to make you an independent, “safe” and fun-loving desert driver.

@Tomvanhouten ….. Dash light is on…… move up a space or two to get close to the lead, …… light is now off, you could hear the laughter about people doing anything to get closer to the front.. However, on a serious note, was great to hear the response of @Booy let’s get to the road as it was nearby. Hopefully all resolved now @Tomvanhouten

The LC created a rattle half way thorough the drive which I thought was the suspension so continually looked for lose or misaligned components, thanks to @Tomvanhouten for the support with the tools to tighten the bumper, turns out on inspection after the drive, the bumper was rattling against the skid plates so issue was resolved.

I also noticed towards the end of the drive a slight lack of power and when stopped after the drive, the engine was hunting a little. This was easily resolved when I cleaned the half dune out of the air filter compartment so would suggest that if you do not have a snorkel, it would be really advisable to do after each drive.

Was great to see the sand surfers finishing their drive @Rashidjass and @optimus

A little detail of the drive route.

Vika

:enjoying_mah_playlist: Hello, Everyone!!! blank

Afternoon workout drive was dedicated to newbeis with more than 10 drives. Meeting point Al Qudra, timing 2 pm. All the participants were divided randomly on two convoys, the first was leading by @Booy the second was leading by @alshamsi_m Me and @Chris are the last two FJs in the second convoy. In front of us @Mehdi
@AdamW , @piotr, @Nabeel . @Loca was sweeping. @Yazan Ali , @Bu Zayed - rescue and support team. This track was dedicated to our entroducing with a very important off-roading element, like side crest.

When I was a completely newbie, not only as a driver, but also as a passenger and it was many years ago, I was invited to see how a car can dance with the dunes, it was impressive, but I was not able to fully understand the depth of this phrase. ... dance with the dune .... :in_love:
Now I can say, that Afternoon workout gave the opportunity to do the most beautiful and inalienable element - Side crest, and even if it's just a side to straight or straight to side, but something incredible. Now you might laugh, but I was proud to be side crested. blankcopy And even the size of the dunes and the difficulty are just for a very beginners, but how does it sound Side crested !!!

Later More - Sliding !!! OSMILEY
And here you are, fight with the gravity and as a result Popout. And it was one of the most difficult popouts, that I have ever met.
Since I was the only girl in the convoy, all the guys helped. It is impossible to describe in words all the experience, that helped to fix it. Once again I am convinced, that we are all newcomers and we are really in good hands and we are learning from the best. redbullsmiley

By the way, they promised not to throw me out of the club, if I write a trip report, or throw me out of the club after a trip report. I do not remember. Lol. Never mind! thumbsup
It was an unforgettable day, an incredible experience and a lot of positive emotions. Many thanks to the whole team for their help and support, @alshamsi_m for the opportunity to learn from the best and to Me for not cutting the tyre. :omg:

Looking forward to see you soon.

Stay safe.

Viktoriia :in_love:
"The most effective way to do it, is just to do it"
Booy
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great reports - thank you...

We divided the members into two convoys - I took the members with 20+ drives and @alshamsi_m took the other members with less than 20 dries, but more than 10.

Due to the experience of the members in our convoy, we could increase the level of the drive, but still ensure everyone was comfortable and driving within their limits.

After going through some technical dunes, then fast rally style driving on the flat areas, we reached Al Faqqa, where we played in the "bigger" dunes. The flow of the convoy was really good and we could enjoy continuous driving without too many second tries or stucks. Offcourse when everyone does well, we have to through in some surprises to make sure the drivers are still alert - and one particular side crest caught many drivers who needed to do second/third/fourth tries :)

It was a good drive with everyone doing really well.

Looking forward to the next one.

Regards,

Booy
@Booy

Blue FJ Cruiser, with an Atlas on the door