Red Crest

Johanna
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi all,

finally an intermediate drive in Nahil...High dunes, sharp crests and less tracks in love

Due to the events in the morning we had a delay in the starting time, but the waiting time was well spent with chit chats and car preparation.
@alshamsi_m lead the drive with the jimny...it is really impressive what car and driver a capable of...He can easily bring a convoy of Jeeps and FJ in trouble. wtfsmilie
We had an amazing drive into the sunset with nice climbs, walls and side crests.
I noticed that I still have the Patrol in my systems, driving the FJ with too much force sometimes.
But with every side crest I understand the car better, as especially the independet front axle is a huge different. The car moves much more than I am used too.
My favorites are bowls and walls - in love its just so much fun with the FJ although I am still learning the handling so I havent pushed my limits yet.
The highlight was a nice bowl where we had some playtime and we left the desert with the sunset.

There a three things I learned this drive:

1. Even if your technique is perfect - size still matters on side crests
2. Always have a fire extinguisher in the car
3. Stay calm and relaxed in every situation - leader skills

Thank you @alshamsi_m for this memorable drive, thanks to @Booy for keeping an eye on us and everyone else for the nice company have a nice day
BR, Johanna

If it excites you and scares you at the same time, it probably means you should do it.
David
Intermediate
Intermediate

Always great to cross the border for a drive, seeing the dunes "on the other side" makes me wish as a Xmas gift that the covid test is removed and we can go there easily every weekend.

The drive, Nahil area, my 3rd as an intermediate which I was very excited about as it will allow me to start going as support to newbie drives, well, that was before reading Johanna's trip report on the newbie morning drive, it seems safer to do crests behind Scorpio in Sweihan than to provide support in newbie drives nowadays ... Psmiley

Beautiful climbs, great sidecresting and a fast pace, as it was expected a fantastic drive that ended up with a fab bowl where the convoy got a bit of "play time". I did feel comfortable with the dunes and pace, always a good sign, even though I feel I should have had another go at that last bowl, made a mistake on the line taken and I would want to try a different approach (to pass over the higher bush), no doubt next time!!!. Lessons learnt:

Tiredness is dangerous, it can catch even the best.
"What happens in Nahil stays in Nahil"

Final words for the Marshalls, it is not the driving skills that define a Marshall, it is their willingness to take risks and make a massive effort (time, physically and in cost) to allow us, the drivers, to enjoy a fantastic safe dive in the dessert in the knowledge that we will never be left behind. Once again, thanks.

Looking forward to the next one, hopefully soon!!!
Mabubaker
Marshal
Marshal

Drives behind @alshamsi_m are in a different category regardless of the drive level. Even during my early newbie days, every drive behind Bu Salem was full of new experiences that makes you a confident and strong off-roader.

In this drive, I got the opportunity to be the 2nd lead. And as usual, it was a big, but enjoyable, challenge. In most of the obstacles, I was saying to myself "good luck new intermediates, let me see how you gonna do this one" And guess what, most of the time they did it! That tells you how carefully new intermediates got upgraded by Marshals.

I was able to follow Bu Salem throughout the drive, until he decided to bring another dimension to the challenge. The sun 🌞. Yes, he managed to bring the sun on the tip of the dune we are concurring,, he used his superpowers to sidecrest, but for me I went completely blind, so I surrendered myself to mother nature and found myself the safest spot to park with a view on the crest.

The recovery was also a totally new experience,,, its not a recovery by another car,,, but also its not a fully self recovery. The rest to be discussed in the next camp. cool

Towards the end, Bu Salem brought us to a hidden bowl,, and gave the intermediates the opportunity to play… I am confident this was the 1st bowl experience for most of the new and brave intermediates. Well done guys!

Thanks to @Booy and Haidar for the support!

See you soon Blade Runners 💪🦿

Mabubaker
Last edited by Phoenix on Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Name Tags
mpodroid
media
media

I was waiting for this drive since a lot of time: third drive as intermediate, the minimum requirements to join newbie drives in the support team. I always admired those skilful angels helping us, floating and driving fast around the convoy, no need to follow the tracks. I do not feel ready, but hopefully soon I’ll start this new experience.

As soon as we started, it has been immediately clear that this was going to be a completely different drive: fast pace, as I never had. Radios was silent, nobody speaking. I said to myself: “ok Marco, welcome to the fun level. Switch off the music and focus”

It was the most amazing drive I had so far: fast and challenging.

Lesson learned: technical skills are everything, experience is fundamental, but the most difficult skill to master is self-awareness. Carefully listen your body, feel it when it tells you that you are too tired and it asks to not push too much, no matter which are your commitments and responsibilities.

Last but not least, a huge thanks to the marshals who - with different ways, style and support - gave me a memorable lesson of leadership: thanks @alshamsi_m , @Booy and "ethereal" @presa ;-)

If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Rune's Rule
Murphy's Law
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello Everyone

I was hoping to give our new intermediates nice side cresting in moderate dunes to practice more so Nahel was the best choice !!

I had some technical issues before joining the meeting point but I brought my GPS and said: " Let's Us Drive" :bouaaaaah: . During the drive I got another issue with my ride and took my GPS and jumped in another car and said: " Let Us Drive " :yarr:

The area was full of bushes but that didn't stop us from having fun around that chain. I think the new intermediates :in_love: allowing them finally to play in a controlled environment grin

Before I close my report, I would like to thank every single one of you for the TEAM SPIRIT you showed and that is the real strength of our community .

Please stay safe and keep the sand flying thumbsup

Cheers
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Rathica
Crew
Crew

Red Crest Trip Report

There was a buzz of anticipation as we got our cars ready and waited for the drive to start. For me, it was a trip down memory lane as I recalled my previous 10+ "guest" drive in my overheating JK with the end result of being towed out by
@alshamsi_m 😳
The leading Marshall @alshamsi_m arrived breaking the FJ/Jeep balance with his tiny Jimny bomb aptly named "The Monster" 😀 and the drive started with a racing start and we flew off into the dunes after the Jimny.

There was not much chatter on the radio as we concentrated on keeping the fast pace and taking each challenge.

The beautiful dunes were high and @alshamsi_m lines were graceful as we climbed and swept dunes with side slopes, ridge riding and switching. Having the right momentum was key. The sand was so soft in certain spots I wondered if my monster was going to succumb to it but it worked it's magic and pulled through. My foot worked overtime tap tapping away as I worked at finding a balance between maintaining the momentum and meeting the challenges. Hearing the roar of the engine as it reached the sweet spot on the climbs was thrilling.

Then we got to the bowl and it was glorious 🚙🚙🚙

Final thoughts:
The Marshals dealing with pressure with calm and prompt decision making in what should have been a stressful situation, was a valuable lesson in leadership. The Marshals kept a Business as Usual attitude kept us calm.
Almosters came together as a family - team worked - getting the show on the road with again with "Business as Usual" attitude, was fabulous.

Thank you to @alshamsi_m for the Dynamic lead and lesson in leadership; @Booy for keeping us save and making sure that no one was left behind; and @Abubakar for the great second lead.
An amazing drive and an amazing family leaving us thirsty for more ❤️
👑🚙
Join me drawing in the sand
👑Dauntless 🚙💨