Friday 13th - New Horror

Tomvanhouten
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello all,

Friday 13th was beautiful day in the sand!

The drive itself didn't start off very well; was placed in 4th position in the convoy, until @alshamsi_m saw I was driving the wifes car. "Go to the back of the convoy" was the message. Wife happy, moi not....

Anyway, after about 200m, POP OUT! Guess that advice wasn't for nothing...
It was my first pop-out so far and to be honest, with my own car I tried it really hard to get one and experience it. So far, I was wondering: would I recognize it if it happens? Well, YOU will... brigade.baka-wolf.com
Frustrated, I wasn't allowed to fix it, but the intermediates got it under control very well and fast! Thanks guys

When we got back together, more or less, we left the EIB area and went on to the next near to the camp site of Meat and greet.
One pop-out and a dozens stucks/second tries later, the convoy reached the campsite for a relaxed moment.

All and all, I expected the drive to more horror, but it wasn't bad actually.
The wife's car survived cool and we came home with a slight vibration (due to my pop out).
Got it fixed today, so wife happy again ;)

Thanks @Booy @alshamsi_m @Rashidjass @SINGH @presa @Abu Jimmy and all other supporting intermediates and advance members.

Till the next one,

Tom
David
Intermediate
Intermediate

Friday 13th ... well, after hearing so much about it I was really looking forward to this drive, and it did not disappoint.

From the beginning, since I had to ask to join in a private message, I knew quite well I would end up second lead behind the evil Jimmy which added some extra pressure not to get stuck or get a pop out. MP was shared and first thought was what should I do with the tyre pressure ... no doubt it will be small technical dunes where the Jimmy can maneuver easier than the bigger cars but will he try to get us on soft sand (then better lower pressure) or will he aim for a fast paced drive with higher chances of pop outs???. I though it would be the later so I left the pressure as usual, 13front 12back, aiming for speed and I got it right.

We drove in 2 different areas, a few stucks and pop outs (one due to a bikini issue) but to be honest I was not looking backwards, my only aim was not to let the Jimmy get away.

The key to this drive is DISTANCE:

1. You need to be close enough to the car ahead of you to see what he/she is doing, it is a great bonus to have someone showing you where all the ditches are, inclination on the other side of the dunes, ... so better not to waste such a gift.

2. At the same time make sure not too close so you can adapt your driving to the circumstances, very important mainly when you follow a very different car, in this case the Jimmy, he can get away with things that I can not and that required faster/slower approaches and different angles in some circumstances, you need the space to be able to make these small changes.

For me it worked well, set the distance at "one dune" away so I could always see what he was doing and felt comfortable all the time, well, even on the little flight when crossing a straight crest (of course from the wrong side), I knew it was either small flight or risking to end up on my belly and I decided to take off ... sorry, I know against the Club rules but I was determined not to get caught.

My recommendation for future Friday 13th drives, yes guys, go for it, it is a lot of fun, and safety is still the main priority, yesterday the "overtake those stuck" rule was removed as soon as Booy saw something that he did not like, no idea what but immediately he called for everyone to stop and let the recovery take place, the drive itself will teach you to react quickly and to keep the right distance, yep, you might end up with a pop out, or a bumper/fender missing but that's part of the game and not a real risk.

Drive ended up with the group stopping for a chat and enjoying the beautiful weather.

Finally to thank all the Marshalls and all the Advance&Intermediates that also came along to provide support for the convoy.

See you on the sand soon.
Mehdi

hello to all members, pacman

what to think of the famous Friday the 13th? A walk in the desert without suffering? thumbsup
Nothing of the sort! obviously ... sad

what could be more normal for a Friday the 13th to have 13 participants?
hazard, or sign of fate? in total (officially) 24 cars ... in a small space.

here we are, the first difficulties were not long in coming, the first avoidances too, the first changes of routes to pick up the head of the convoy ... in short, the more time spent, the more the starting order was just ... disorder! grin on some crossroads nodes, it is difficult to know who to follow sometimes but our guardian angels put us on the right course ...

I have often found myself at a standstill, following the example of the vehicle in front of me without knowing the reason, but safety comes first.

regarding me, I found myself once the chassis was sitting on the crest of a dune having lost my speed.
ok, it was not the only time of the day, and I often had to do a loop to pass the obstacle either because the car in front was having difficulty, or because I had not made it the first time .
another time the car skidded in front of a marshall ... sanction, radio recall!

This was my first Friday the 13th, not the 13th edition ... but a Friday the 13th from almost 4x4. :ninja:

in order ... or out of order thanks to:
@Abu Jimmy
@alshamsi_m
@Booy
@presa
@Rashidjass,
I do not forget all the Rescue and Support training team who accompanied us throughout the course and who were there during, and even after the event! have a nice day

Looking forward to meeting you again. thumbsup
mpodroid
media
media

Friday 13th kept intact its fame: so many victims!

On the previous Friday 13th I got stuck in an easy straight cresting, just in front of the audience sitting there: I gave them some fun :-)

Winter arrived and I decided to experience my jeep without top: something to try, at least once in the life. I was expecting to eat a lot of sand. I prepared myself to get stuck again in the technical area, throw tons of sand in the air and ultimately in the car and on myself, giving some fun and memories to my friends in Almost4x4. Why not? :-)

@alshamsi_m briefed us and clarified: "I'll try to make you stuck and have pop outs". OK, ready, go!

We move to the technical area, but instead of some initial warmup, he immediately started with a fast pace and I bumped into a couple of dunes in the first 2 minutes. "OK, it is serious". Switched on "focused" mode and started having fun, just behind @David who was the second lead.

I never liked technical dunes, but for the first time I admit that - at faster speed - I really enjoyed them. @alshamsi_m and @Abu Jimmy strongly suggested to put back my hard top, because the car becomes unstable, especially on higher dunes. Damn! Driving without top, windows open, music on is amazing.

Until... I had a situation: small dune (probably less than 1 meter tall), short double side cresting (right/left/right): on the second change I realised that my trajectory was slight lower than the one followed by @David, but I had enough momentum to make it so I did.

Then the unexpected: I heard the sound of air deflating. POP OUT!
How is that possible? It happened to me in past, but it was a clear mistake hitting something. No bumps this time, just the car sliding down and that's it.

It is not clear to me which was my mistake: any hints from marshals?
Maybe the pressure was too low: driving at 11psi was not a good idea in the technical area.

Then, the worse: car was inclined, moved it a bit, but still the small area was not flat enough and despite the generous effort from the rescue team we could not lift the car in two attempts. The tire was almost out of the wheel and blended, but no luck. So, manoeuvre and pulled back in a flat area, pop out fixed and move again.

I think it took 15-20 minutes to fix it and I am sorry for the inconvenient to the convoy: that was not my plan to give fun :-(

Anyway, also my flag pole was so bored by the stop that at the next dune it overtook me, flying in front of the car: inner thread broken.

Final touch: while inflating I noticed that valve of the popped out tire was damaged and leaking air. Replacing valve at 6:30? in the dark? no way: I pushed it on the side to the wheel with a zip tie and no leak :-) just to reach home, after a memorable day.

End of the story: challenging but very fun drive. Counting the 270 days to the next Friday 13th in 2021 :-)

I need to understand the reason and mistake behind my pop out.
My deepest thanks to the rescue team members that greatly helped me.

Marco
If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Rune's Rule
Murphy's Law
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello Everyone

First of all Thanks for @Caccia & @presa for the lovely cake and for a beautiful friend " Elizabeth " for the birthday card " my 27th birthday " thumbsup .

The drive started as planned but I was not happy because I just drove 200 meters and the convoy had to stop. It is fine no problem let us continue but again we had to stop after 20 meters.

@Abu Jimmy and I decided to try another way to make it more enjoyable for the rest by allowing to the takeover of the stuck ones so I started driving and making more lines in the area to find out "TOTAL CHAOS" and I could see that some members were just driving with no clue !!! wtfsmilie

We spent 1 hour in the first area and we didn't feel the time so I decided to take them to the flat again !! :x_x:

We had to wait for the lost souls inside area 1 to come out and I could see the relief on the faces that it was over !!!

I declared that the warm-up was over and we are going to area 2 " Man you should see the look on some of the faces " - Priceless :yarr:

Area 2 was not less technical then the first one even I got stuck :slow: Before the sunset, we all gothared up to chill and chat. Thanks for @Booy for the coffee and everyone for making another sucessful event !!

Till next Friday 13th keep your souls safe patapon

Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Almosters, another successful Friday 13th drive!

This one celebrating the 27th birthday of @alshamsi_m :)

There were clearly two batches:
- the ones following the leading car, that usually have 2-3 cars
- the lost ones grin grin grin grin

There were several times we saw the leading car with 2, maximum 3 cars behind... and the rest of the convoy miles behind... many times going on wrong directions :yaeh_am_not_durnk: like... I dont know the track but I will keep driving LOL

We had popouts, stuck and many that lost the track.... but in general the drivers were enjoying the harder than usual sand due to recent rain in the area.

After the drive we had some fun enjoying the wonderful weather and chitchating for 2-3h before heading back home.
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

All credit for @Rashidjass

Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills