Welcome to the Rabbit Hole

Sorin
media
media

Hi everyone,

Yesterday’s drive was mine and a few other’s introduction to the Intermediate level drives.

We started with a comprehensive briefing from our leading marshal @presa who spoke to us about what to do in certain scenarios and the importance of approaching the crests of the big dunes at the right angle.

With @Scorpio and @Youssef.Abdelhady looking after us we set off and targeted the biggest dunes we could find in Al Faqaa.

The pace was fast as expected and I had a little difficulty in keeping up initially but as we progressed in the drive I got more comfortable in driving faster and staying in second gear on some of the smaller dunes.

The main lesson and the main thing we practiced a lot was sidecresting the big dunes properly while climbing them on the soft side and it was made clear to use thru our own trial and error what a big difference the right approach can make. The goal was to get the car to ride the crest for a few seconds then go down on the other side instead of approaching the top of the dune then turning the steering in order to cross it.

We kept targeting the big dunes while moving towards Al Qudra where we ended the drive with the customary high speed rally and a beautiful sunset behind us.

Thank you to the organizers and everyone who attended, it was a great experience and all the advice given to us fresh Intermediates by the marshals and older more experienced members is really appreciated and valued.

Until next time,

See you in the sand !
I approve this message ⬆️
David
Intermediate
Intermediate

First intermediate drive and yes, calling it "fun level" makes sense ...

Before anything else to thank Presa for organizing, Scorpio for the support and Youssef for also joining (I am sure he did not expect to have to work as hard as he did)

Very nice the organizing Marshall gave priority to the new intermediates on this drive, it was nice to share the first drive with all of those who passed the exam at the same time.

Briefing by Presa and off we went, first adjustment to be made quite quickly, normally after cresting and crossing a dune you have a second to think "Ah, that was nice", not any more, get down the dune quickly and floor it, Presa is already far ahead attacking the next one, and normally after a sharp 90degree turn that my wrangler and its big tyres hates as kills all the momentum.

Fast pace, loads of fun but still safety is the main priority, I think the small breaks in the drive where both Presa and Scorpio gave some explanations and feedback were brilliant, number one, if you are in the wrong line better to do a second attempt, no shame on that. Personally I loved the "3 ways of rolling over in a crest" chat, extremely interesting and top it up with the chance to see how some more experienced drivers used different lines in the dunes I think it made a big difference, corrections made and I personally felt the drive with more ease in the second part.

Amazing to see also SameRaptoRed as second lead for some time, 4 cars distance from Presa all the way, no deviation, just a mirror. I am sure that the more experienced intermediates towards the back of the convoy were moving in a similar way but to be honest no time to look back, more than enough with what was ahead of me!!!

When we were doing the last dune in Al Faqaa before crossing to Al Qudra (and as it normally happens) came the time for the rescue masterclass, very tricky situation, took around 45min and great effort from the Marshalls plus the most experienced drivers to get out of it, for me it was time to learn and enjoy sitting in the stands with some of the fellow new intermediates, I must admit I could not help but clap when the final successful pull was given.

Overall a fantastic drive, I was very happy to have passed the exam before and after seeing "what is on the other side" even more!!!, really looking forward to the next drive!!!

See you on the sand (hopefully soon)
mpodroid
media
media

I have to admit that I was excited about the new level, but at the same time a bit worried about this drive: almost everybody warned me about the difference from newbie to intermediate level:
  • be my guest, you'll see the huge difference
  • in the first drive you get out of the car with shaking hands
just to mention some of them.

@presa gave us the briefing and clarified that the first level in intermediate is meant to adjust to the faster pace and refine and polish up our skills.

Marshals upgraded me to the intermediate level: it means that my skills are good enough to make it. If they believe I can, why shouldn't I? I felt confident and offered to be second lead.

We started the drive and was clearly a different pace and style: many sidecresting and faster than in newbie level. @presa pushed us, but not too much: the right pace to adjust, without taking any risks.

So, the message to future intermediate: big boys will get fun of you, trying to scare you, but it is just a joke. Safety first, as usual.

Thanks the organisers for the fun drive

Marco
If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Rune's Rule
Murphy's Law
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

mpodroid wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:51 pm I have to admit that I was excited about the new level, but at the same time a bit worried about this drive: almost everybody warned me about the difference from newbie to intermediate level:
  • be my guest, you'll see the huge difference
  • in the first drive you get out of the car with shaking hands
just to mention some of them.

@presa gave us the briefing and clarified that the first level in intermediate is meant to adjust to the faster pace and refine and polish up our skills.

Marshals upgraded me to the intermediate level: it means that my skills are good enough to make it. If they believe I can, why shouldn't I? I felt confident and offered to be second lead.

We started the drive and was clearly a different pace and style: many sidecresting and faster than in newbie level. @presa pushed us, but not too much: the right pace to adjust, without taking any risks.

So, the message to future intermediate: big boys will get fun of you, trying to scare you, but it is just a joke. Safety first, as usual.

Thanks the organisers for the fun drive

Marco

Nope ... People stay scared ... he is dragging you to be intermediates brigade.baka-wolf.com
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
mpodroid
media
media

alshamsi_m wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:42 am
Nope ... People stay scared ... he is dragging you to be intermediates brigade.baka-wolf.com

You got me: more intermediate drivers, more drives in intermediate level for me Psmiley
If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Rune's Rule
Murphy's Law
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

mpodroid wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:54 am
alshamsi_m wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:42 am

You got me: more intermediate drivers, more drives in intermediate level for me Psmiley
I thought you want to be ADVANCE :yarr:
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Almosters, good to see all the fresh intermediates in their first drive!

We had fun in Al Faqaa area, where small and medium size dunes were attack without mercy!

Most did well, a few polishing is still necessary, that were or will be communicated on a 1-1 conversation.

I thank you all for the assistance on recovery when my front axle gave up on a soft spot :)

Looking forward to see you all!
Mahmoodyasin
Advance
Advance

Hi everyone
As it was an exciting day for the new intermediates, it was high pace drive for the old ones after a long break.
Meeting was in Faqaa with @presa leading and @Scorpio keeping an eye, along with @Youssef.Abdelhady as support.
A smooth drive at the initial that picked up pace when @presa felt the confidence in us and raised the level. He flattened almost all the crests in the area before moving towards alqudra, where we had a very bad stuck. With team work and experience, the recovery was done and we were out to wards the finish line, just before the sun down.
Yet another excellent lead by marshall @presa

thankyou @presa @Scorpio @Youssef.Abdelhady and everyone else.

till next time
Mahmoodyasin
Dark Stallion
(black fj cruiser)