Intermediate Exam - Friday 30th Oct 2020.

David
Intermediate
Intermediate

Intermediate Exam, first of all and probably in this drive more than ever before to thank all the Marshalls for the drive, looking after us and the opportunity and trust to take the exam.

The day did not start too well, I left with plenty of time, I do hate to be late in normal terms and wanted to make sure I reached with plenty of time today, all going well until in one of the last turns after coming out of the Dubai-Al Ain road someone had decided to place 3 massive stones to close the road for those that probably were using it for crossing into AD without the COVID test.

Presa and Osman also reached that point with me so we turned around and let Presa lead the way, I guess it seemed safe to follow a Marshall, back towards Dubai, U turn and yes ... Presa has "carte blanche" to cross back to AD and decided that would be the easiest way to get there, for me another U turn as no negative COVID test, back towards Dubai to do another U turn ... I called Booy then to explain, I would enter somewhere in the sand and reach the point via the desert, done, found a sand track, drove on it without deflating for a bit but I decided to stop, deflate and get ready (since I would have to do it anyway later) so I could go to the meeting point in a "straight line". When I was about to reach I got a call from Booy, did you read my message with the new meeting point???, what???, nope, checked and back the same way I had come plus a few extra kms to reach the new meeting point 10min late, happy to had made it and not to be the last ... first thought, wow, if this was just to reach who knows what is still ahead of us ...

First mysteries revealed upon arrival, massive concentration of marshalls (no doubt it is a serious day) and to find out which other fellow drivers will be taking the Exam on the same day, nice to see the familiar faces, no doubt we will share many more drives in the future and will make great friends.

Time for the briefing by Al Shamsi, yes, there was the part where how the Exam was going to be, how to rotate the positions, the leading marshall, the one in the 3rd position, ... but to me the most important things were what was said before, don't worry, it is just another drive, if we invited you it means we believe you can do, be safe and have fun.

Next was the tools and recovery equipment inspection, once that was done convoy drove back to the original starting point to start the test and there we went.

What to say about the drive, fast, thrilling, technical, ... I loved it!!!, we had some mechanical issues, pop-outs, 2nd tries, ... and so much fun. Having to change positions and the floating Marshalls moving freely in the convoy also adds and extra element of fun and difficulty, you need to always be aware of what is happening around you. Approaching the dunes from both sides, I personally enjoyed greatly the off-wind side approaches, I think I had never done so many of those in my life!!!

2 fantastic memories for me, I was lucky to be 2nd behind Al Shamsi when he put together an amazing sequence of fast side changing dunes, I even saw him smiling when there was a small break afterwards to let the full convoy regroup, the 2nd one almost at the end of the drive with Booy as leading car, high fast ascent to top up the crest of the dune with a massive full (minus one day) moon in front of your eyes and a 90degree right turn to come straight down the dune on the other side. These 2 memories were still in my head when I closed my eyes and went off to sleep.

Sadly the drive came to an end, luckily we were still somewhere in Al Faqaa and we still had to make it to Al Qudra which meant a bonus night drive, Booy gave the instructions, no risks, everyone tired so we are going to take it easy in this part, time to lower the windows and relax. While driving I wondered if it would be possible for the day to get any better, maybe Al Shamsi had arranged for hot baths and very very cold drinks when we reached Al Qudra???, all was possible, he had placed those 3 5tonne stones blocking the road to teach us to always expect the unexpected ...

Last thoughts while driving back to Dubai, nothing broken (at least apparently), safe and with a big smile in my face so I guess that since these were the initial instructions mission accomplished!!!
Sorin
media
media

Hi everyone,

I am writing this as an Intermediate and it’s an amazing feeling that I wasn’t sure I’d experience so soon.

As soon as I saw the invite to the Exam I was high on adrenaline all week, which probably helped me overcome the flu I was going thru.

I wasn’t sure I’d get better in time for the exam but thank God I did and since the meeting point was in AD I went and took a PCR test on Wednesday so I wouldn’t have any surprises going to the drive. Thankfully the test came back negative and it gave me an extra motivation for the exam.

Reached relatively late for my record at 1:00 Pm and I was expecting to see a lot of marshals but surprisingly there was nobody else there.

I stopped and deflated, took out my chair and enjoyed some M&Ms in the shade of my car waiting for everyone else to arrive.

Clock turns 1:30 no sign of anybody

I’m starting to become paranoid and I keep looking at the coordinates in the PM and my location, maybe I’m still under the influence of medication and went to the wrong place.

1:35 PM still nobody showed

I was freaking out so I sent a message to Booy to confirm my location but before he got a chance to reply I saw @presa in the distance and my blood pressure retuned to normal :)))

Joined by Rashid, Scorpio and @AbuJawad we received notice from Booy that the meeting point has changed back to Dubai, about 3kms away so I got to do a warm-up drive behind @presa

We met everyone else at the new meeting point and listened carefully to the briefing by @alshamsi_m

Once it became clear what was the rules and expectations, we had our tools inspected and we proceeded back to the original meeting point from which the exam would start (warm up drive no. 2)

I was a bit concerned about overheating as usual but I tried not to think about it and focus on the drive and thankfully the car did well and it didn’t overheat.

I was positioned in the middle of the convoy and that gave me a good opportunity to asses the drivers in front of me before my turn came to be second lead.

When my time came, the weather was already starting to cool down and the leading car had changed from @alshamsi_m to @Booy and as I’ve been in a very fast drive with Booy in the same area before, I knew the pace would be faster.

I told myself I need to stay close to him and keep up but don’t fly in the process. For those 10 minutes I stopped looking at the temp of my engine and focused on the track and car in front of me and try and keep up in a safe manner. We climbed some pretty big dunes on the soft side and then side-crest and then find bigger ones with even softer sand and do it again :)) it was amazing and very thrilling which is why at the end of my 10 minutes I had a huge smile on my face.

I had a lot of doubts about myself and my car during the days before the exam but once things got going I calmed down and tired to enjoy “just another drive” and it worked :D

Starting late and having a few stops along the way gave us a bonus night drive to Al Qudra and my car absolutely loved the low temperature. I remembered I have a GoPro and I turned it on so I could capture the last part of this defining day in my off-roading career :))

I would like to thank all the marshals I had the good fortune to meet and drive behind, all your advices and words made a huge impact on me and made a better driver.

Thank you to the Club Management for this honor and can’t wait to enjoy the new level drives.

See you in the sand!
I approve this message ⬆️
mpodroid
media
media

WOW! what a day!

Let's start with a huge thanks to the founders and the marshals: THANK YOU.

Everything started 1 week ago, when I noticed a private message: an invitation from @Booy to the intermediate exam. I could not believe it. It seemed a dream coming true, after a long work.

I left home on time, but the exam started even before the meeting point: I realised that just 200 meters before the meeting point there was a police checkpoint, which I did not expect, so no COVID test.

I tried to drive around it, but not luck: everything was blocked. Called @alshamsi_m and texted @Booy to inform them. The police officer kindly offered me to get the test in the nearby center, while I got an updated location, so turned around and reached the new meeting point 30 minutes later. Many other had the same issue.

@alshamsi_m gave us the briefing and clarified: you could pass or not. Do not take personally, it is not about you, but about your skills and we want you to be safe. If you are not ready yet, take your time to improve. Not very encouraging :-)

We moved to the exam area and had a chance to warm up. I was the fourth member. @alshamsi_m broke his car and @Booy took over the lead. Just in time for my exam.

I do not know if was just the pressure, but I had a very strong feeling that @Booy changed the pace and increased the speed. I've been able to follow him, not perfectly on the same tracks, but not shortcuts.

Overall, an amazing drive, as if we played around in the kindergarden for 1 year and finally we had the first work day.

Don't stop me now ;-)

It has been a day full of emotions and excitement.

My deepest and warmest thanks to all the marshals.
Marco
If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Rune's Rule
Murphy's Law
Petr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Excellent reports, guys, I'm looking for your company at the next drives!

I love the video @mpodroid ! Sorry for the EIB - but you made it to the other side regardless 😃