Straight Crestors-II - 23rd October 2020

Slydubai

Drive: Straight Crestors-II drive to Al Qudra - 23rd October 2020

Highlights:
-marshals know how to do a pep talk
-no rescues/second tries

---
Thank you to @Scorpio for organizing the trip and @presa for sweeping for Convoy 2 as well as @Mabubaker for the convoy recovery support.

We gathered near Al Qudra lakes just off D63 road at 8.05am in what turned out to be a wrong location! GPS 1 Newbies 0! @Booy guided us to a deflation point before moving further to the actual moving point.

The marshals as well as those who have proper GPSs had been sitting comfortably in their camping chairs and having a usual morning chat before @Scorpio (who was involved in an early morning rescue at the deflation point) joined us and took the attendance. We were split into two convoys and separated for the briefing.

Because of the early hiccups, the drive started a bit later than usual (circa 8:55) and the first few hundred meters were relatively slow, mainly because of a lack of momentum for some with lots of second tries. After what @Scorpio described as "300-400m" progress, he gathered us around for a short briefing - which eventually turned out to be a pep talk. Why? Because it really helped with the convoy pace going forward, with cars remembering to keep the momentum ("a moving car is a safe car"). grin

After crossing a few dunes with a much better flow, we reached a slightly more technical area and some cars needed to take another go. Shortly after, we crossed through the Al Qudra lakes for what turned out to be the end of the event (10:55).

I reached home by 12 and little did I know my Friday offroading adventure was not going to end just yet.. but more on this in the Up and away post by Petr

Slydubai, Black Wrangler TJ
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello everyone

We had a beautiful chill out while waiting for the newbies to arrive, it seems that Google Maps tricked everyone so it took them a while to figure it out including the organiser yaeh am not durnk .

@Solmaz gave the newbies a very good workout day and we had to practice:

1. Self recovery
2. Pulling using 2 viking ropes
3. Fixing two popouts
4. Using the crawling system

The best part of the drive where I had to test a car .... you know me " Drive it like you stole it đŸ€Ș.

@Booy did a great job doing the other recoveries thumbsup .
Also I should mention @Gabor & @Jasper who helped in recoveries too.

Dear 5- keep catching up to be able to join Liwa drives.

All the best
Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Almosters!

Since I was coming from beautiful Abu Dhabi, I left home earlier and arrived 30min before the meeting point.

Weather was terrific and I woke up some Oryx and some Gazelles in the area.
Here is a picture from the Oryx for the ones that arrived later:

I was floating with @Scorpio convoy with rescue assistance from @Abubakar and @awais_300 .

Convoy did fine and drivers are getting used to their cars and the driving style in desert.

Hope to see you all next weekend!
Booy
Golden Member
Golden Member

Two convoys and only 1 newbie member decided to write a trip report.....
@Booy

Blue FJ Cruiser, with an Atlas on the door
jayslens

Hello Almosters!

Apologies for a late trip report.

I had reached the meeting point fairly on time greeted everyone and got to know the actual meeting point is further inside! Anyway after a little briefing we were split into two convoys with @Scorpio taking the lead and I think Owais his name was taking the second lead with @presa as floater.

The start of the drive was quite technical and at one point I had lost momentum and it was hard for my pajero to climb the dune and cross even with full throttle, was advised to check and reduce the tyre pressure to 10PSI and then I was suggested to use 4L 2nd gear and boooyyy the Pajero took on that dune smoooth! As @Slydubai mentions we did have a small pep talk about where we are making mistakes. After the talk the drive was really smooth with few recoveries and second attempts.

Some of the mistakes I realized from this drive were always keep a good enough gap between yourself and the driver ahead of you, watch the way he's driving and then adjust your driving accordingly, momentum is key and driving on slopes is way too much fun! grin

Overall, I feel more confident and learning more about my Pajero. I have been finding 4H performing better but will still continue to experiment between 4H and 4Hlc.

Thank you to all the marshals for your support and guidance @alshamsi_m @presa @Scorpio @Booy Owais

Looking forward to more and LIWA!!!

Keeping it rolling! thumbsup