Stars Track VIII - Autumn Stars Edition - 9th October 2020

Slydubai

Drive: Stars Track VIII - Autumn Stars Edition drive to Al Qudra - 9th October 2020.

Highlights:
-no 2nd attempts or rescues
-1 x popout
-thou shalt perform a tool check before any drive (batteries!)

---
First of all, thank you to all the marshals @Booy @Abu Jimmy @alshamsi_m @Rashidjass for their support throughout the drive, with a special thank you going to @Barish for organizing what turned out to be be a very challenging drive.

This time, we gathered at the deflation point just off Dubai-Al Ain road at 2.30pm. First challenge of the day and a good lesson learnt was.. always check your tools before the trip. The batteries in my electronic TJM deflator had gone flat. @Abu Jimmy lent me his, but funnily that didn't work either, so @Booy helped me with a more traditional way i.e. valve core removal tool + pressure gauge.

@Barish started the event on a high, with some pretty critical reminders, main one as always being "listen to the marshals!". The convoy count stopped at 13 cars, with my car positioned at he back (number 10). Booy & Abu Jimmy were floating, while Rashid was sweeping.

The first part of the trail was relatively smooth, before we reached a slightly more "technical" terrain and some cars started getting stuck. I really liked that everyone who got stuck had a chance to use their own recovery equipment with @Booy taking most of the rescues. Being in the sand all day, one should admire his calm & patient approach throughout the drive.

The second part of the trail graced us with even more recoveries and 2nd attempts. Waiting for other members of the convoy getting rescued is a good exercise itself - it teaches you patience and humility and that the nature always wins. Towards the end of the track, just as we were about to head back, I felt something isn't right with my front right tire, so I went out to check it out - knowing that there is only one possible outcome i.e. popout. @Viktoriia seemed to have got one in exactly the same spot a few seconds later. This was a particularly good experience as I knew what a popout is in theory, but now had a chance to see how to deal with it in real life. The entire convoy gathered around to watch how the marshals can effortlessly bring the tire back up to 8psi.

As the sun was setting, we returned to the road (D63) to inflate the tires and finish our adventure. Before that, @Barish had invited us for a nice cup of coffee & chat.

Great day / evening and I can't wait to see another newbie drive in the Trip View soon!

Slydubai, Black Wrangler TJ
Last edited by Slydubai on Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asaxena

Special thanks to @Barish for organizing this drive! Also a lot of thanks to @Booy @Abu Jimmy @alshamsi_m and @Rashidjass for providing support for this drive!
I reached the meetup location by around 2pm, with enough time to prep my car and meet everyone. At 3pm @Barish and @alshamsi_m briefed us about what to expect in the drive.

It was a well structured drive starting with practice to make loops on the slopes and on to managing straight crests and drops. The drive had mainly a very smooth flow. There were a few stucks needing recovery during the drive, and a couple of pop outs, nothing the marshals couldn't handle though. I also required a pull for stopping at the wrong place, soft patch on a flat area, @Rashidjass helped me out with a quick recovery.

The stucks and pop-outs ate a little bit into our time and it was already dark by the time we exited. However, @Barish was very aware of the loss of sunlight and promptly lead us to flatter area to reach the exit point.
Finally I'd like to thank all my fellow Newbie level drivers, and look forward to seeing you all in the dunes again soon!
Booy
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hello everyone,

@Barish gave us a very interesting and technical track. He made sure that our members stayed focussed while driving. There was not much time to take your eyes off the track, as you had to stay focused in order not to make a mistake or get stuck.

These technical areas are extremely valuable in skills development, as you learn a lot about your car's behavior, how to quickly think and make the right decision to control your car in the best and safest way, and it also builds stamina.

We finished our drive just after sunset, and the weather was amazing during our inflation time.

Get ready for actioned filled weekends to come.. shake the dust from your tents and BBQ equipment - you might need them sooner than you think :)

Looking forward to seeing you again soon for more sand action.

Regards,

Booy
@Booy

Blue FJ Cruiser, with an Atlas on the door
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello Everyone

Man, we had 4 hours of pure newbie training you're kidding, right. Our leading marshal @Barish did an amazing job to give the new members the training of :

1. Soft Sand
2. Sharp climbs
3. Sharp drops
4. Safe distance

I'm sure that the members didn't have the time to drop down their guard otherwise they would be in a situation :yarr:

One of the main highlights of this drive that the rescue team was purely from marshals where we had @Abu Jimmy , @Booy & @Rashidjass . Thanks, gentlemen for the great support !!!

At sunset, we had to say goodbye to everyone and we are looking forward to see you in the next camp & drive :yaeh_am_not_durnk:

Till next time, Stay Safe

Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
jayslens

Hello fellow Almosters!

First of all I would like to thank @Barish , @SINGH @Rashidjass @alshamsi_m @Booy @Abu Jimmy for organizing this drive, their continuous support, guidance and bits of hilarious radio commentary :P

Reached at the meeting point sharp at 2:30pm and carried out the usual prep for which I feel more confident than my last drive with the club and I had removed the ABS fuse from my Pajero's engine relay to disengage ABS which had caused a few issues during last drive so thank you internet on how to do it.

This drive was a lot of fun! Really technical as it had included lots of tight corners, drops, slopes, and soft sand. The start of the drive was smooth after which we had hit the flat dirt road which was fun driving like rally style but the terrain after that was very challenging and many of us members got stuck, re-tries and two pop-outs. I have heard about pop-outs researched about it online but seeing it live and how @Barish @Abu Jimmy and @Booy recovered the Wrangler was an excellent learning experience.

I was positioned at number 7 but because of the gap I was leaving between the convoy @Barish had instructed me to come at number 3 which was a bit terrifying cos by being behind I feel your mistakes aren't noticed much but being at number 3 kinda put a little pressure to keep a small gap which is a good challenge.

Overall, I felt even more confident with my Mitstallion aka Pajero and it was great to see another member @CARLOSS with his Pajero.

Looking forward to more! thumbsup
Vika

Helloo, Everyone!!!🤗🤗🤗

Time flies so fast and now another drive is behind us. I arrived at the meeting point at 2pm, the weather was unexpectedly hot. Deflated, the flag was set, pictures for the trip report were taken. At 2.30 @Barish started the briefing. The main goal of the trip was to learn how to feel the car, use the radio and maintain a distance. The convoy was leading by @Barish , the second lead was @Stefane , 13 cars in total. My car was last, closing the convoy. At 3 pm, everyone is ready and full speed ahead.

The track was quite varied and interesting. Several times the convoy was stopped for rescue, which is an integral part of the off-roading. The time was drawing to a sunset and the trip was about to end, when suddenly a Black Jeep @Slydubai
got out on the radio:
- I think i do have a popout🤯
@alshamsi_m immediately commanded to go to the rescue, after exactly 2 seconds:
-Vika, stop, one more popout🤯🤯🤯
-What? How? It's not me?
-Girl, what's in your mind? Why are you supporting @Slydubai ? 🤔😂😂😂

Before, I only heard about popouts and it always sounded very intimidating. Well, now I have a chance to see and eliminate. The mood jumped to the maximum. @Rashidjass , @SINGH , @alshamsi_m - 10 minutes and everything is fine. We can move on.

The whole trip I watched the саг in front of me, Black Jeep @mhaas , it seemed to me that he was good enough and now, absolutely unexpectedly, he got stuck. @alshamsi_m and @Abu Jimmy tried to help with self recovery, but something went wrong.
And here it is again🤪. Bingo! 🤪🤪 Lesson number 2🤪🤪🤪. @alshamsi_m gave a command for my first rescue.
-How? Me? Alone? 🙈

Plus to the mood I've got a huge dose of adrenaline. An incredible experience.
The sun has already set, it is time to return.

Many thanks to the organizers, support and rescue team, all the participants. I simply fall in love with what I do and I can’t wait for the next trip.

Thank you all.
Stay safe and see you soon.

Viktoriia
"The most effective way to do it, is just to do it"
Barish
Marshal
Marshal

Summary of the drive; getup, standup, dont give up the fight😎

We had our briefing and started to follow our traditional track through the east of qudra lakes. After a smooth flow of the convoy for some time with a couple of second tries, we stopped on a flat ground for a recovery, reordered the convoy to increase the pace; while at that point, i looked at the terrain ahead and said ro myself; they are doing good, why not? No harm to bring a challenge a little bit...

I knew by taking that decision that we might not reach the planned sitting area on time but the benefit of that decison to the members would be more than a coffee! Can u imagine, I offered sth than a coffee, but a fast track learning! Straight crests, arches, soft and sharp drops, technical areas leading to stucks, popouts, multiple tries...we have seen everything until sunset which all is part of the game. The sun disappeared and was time to exit the area with good memories until next fun. One observation: we were almost in the 4th hour of the drive and drivers were still following the clearance notifications with full focus even while exitting the area in the last 15mins. Well done guys👏👏👏

Special thanks to @Booy , @Rashidjass and @Abu Jimmy for amazing VIP support, @alshamsi_m for sweeping and apologize Bu Salem breaking your sleep🤣

Rule is so simple: Change but Improve.

See you on the sand again.

Barish