Lead My Way - 2nd October 2020

Slydubai

Drive: Lead My Way - Club Member training and drive to Fossil Rock - 2nd October 2020.

Highlights:
-really nice vibe
-1 x 2nd attempt
-1 x stuck with rescue

---

Hello! This was my first ever drive with ALMOST 4x4 and I could not have had a better one (well, unless it was 10 degrees cooler #BlackWranglerSoftTopProblems).

Thank you to all the marshals as well as the support crew (~20 cars) for organizing a very safe and fun drive.

So, how did it all start?

We gathered at the deflation point (just off Al Batayeh road) at 8am sharp. What really surprised me is that virtually all participants reached the location before time. Flag up, tyres down and then quick chit chat to get to know one another (masks on, 2m distance maintained).

At circa 8:31, @alshamsi_m welcomed us in a circle and began the attendance check as well as the convoy split (we were split into 3 convoys today, to be exact). As a person who appreciates a good chuckle in the morning, I was in for a treat as alshamsi_m had brought his a-game, which helped bring the spirit level up.

Time to line up into our convoys (I was following @Abu Jimmy's convoy) before gathering once more for a comprehensive theory training. As temperatures reached mid 30s, @alshamsi_m made it on point and interesting. Admittedly, I had looked up his video some time back, but still managed to learn something new. One thing for sure, safety is something that this club takes very seriously (perhaps second only to good vibes!).

Time to move and put some of that theory into practice. The marshal and support crew led us safely to our first stop point (just beyond the "Big Dune" if I'm not mistaken). Shortly before, I had to take a second attempt, as I had not maintained enough momentum when trying to cross a dune (thank you for all your advice at that moment, @Barish).

The second part of the trial seemed more challenging and ended with us reaching what I believe to be the top (Fossil Rock). There was one specific moment that I'm likely to remember forever i.e. getting stuck for the first time. How, you might ask. Poor decision making + lost momentum. I was approaching a dune before noticing that the two cars in front of me had each taken a different track.
Here is roughly what was going on in my head at the time: "Must maintain my place in the convoy. The car in front of me seems to be taking a different track. Or is it the car in front of him? Damn... I'll go with the car in front of him. NO! Follow your spot in the convoy. WHOOOPS, I'm bogged down.". It took a few moments of indecision to be stuck. Nothing to worry about though as @Barish and co came to my rescue. Quick chat and a short pull and I was on my way (though admittedly with a slightly shaken confidence for the first few minutes!).

After watching the experienced crew having fun at the top, exchanging a few words and taking some pics, it was time to return. We lined up in a single convoy and - after a quick descend - rejoined the road and gathered at the inflation point (petrol station). Since I had all my tools ready, I asked @Abu Jimmy for a check up - thank you! After the check up, I reached what I hope to be many achievements with ALMOST 4x4 i.e. being bumped up to a Newbie level, which should allow me to join the future drives. Tyres up, quick chat & a wave goodbye and off we were towards our next destination.

In conclusion, I experienced exactly what I was expecting out of this drive.. plus a little more. What I didn't quite anticipate was such a welcoming atmosphere. Being in the UAE (or specifically Dubai) long enough, I'm used to the "people come and go" mindset. When it comes to ALMOST 4x4, this however could not have been any further from the truth.

Thank you very much to everyone and I hope to see you all next week!

Slydubai, Black Wrangler TJ.
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hi everyone

I would like to start my report with apologies !!! It is like a custom that we start our CM by sharing Karak, Coffee & Dates cookies. To break the ice and to get to know each other.

The night before the drive " I catch a cold " and couldn't sleep almost the whole night. Nevertheless, I took a good shower in the morning, brought the hot drinks and cookies to the meeting point but when I reached I felt that members would be scared especially with COVID - 19 issues so I had to keep everything in the car.

The day started with a very pleasant temperature but while we were having the theory briefing I felt the sun started to get hotter so I shortened my breifing to give more drive.

We had a VVIP convoy where we had 5 - 6 club members in each convoy and plenty to support. At 11:15 the whole pack was enjoying the view on top of the Fossil Rock and 11:45 everyone was back to the road SAFE & SOUND :;^^:

Congratulation to all who got their First star and looking forward to seeing you next weekend

Cheers
Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hi @Slydubai

I found a video for you before we become friendly :;^^:

You will notice that we were in the AIR most of the time :secret_laugh:

P.S: The guy with the long white truck was the owner of the maroon wrangler :beaten:

See you in the NEXT levels
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Phoenix
Crew
Crew

alshamsi_m wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:19 pm Hi everyone

I would like to start my report with apologies !!! It is like a custom that we start our CM by sharing Karak, Coffee & Dates cookies. To break the ice and to get to know each other.

The night before the drive " I catch a cold " and couldn't sleep almost the whole night. Nevertheless, I took a good shower in the morning, brought the hot drinks and cookies to the meeting point but when I reached I felt that members would be scared especially with COVID - 19 issues so I had to keep everything in the car.

The day started with a very pleasant temperature but while we were having the theory briefing I felt the sun started to get hotter so I shortened my breifing to give more drive.

We had a VVIP convoy where we had 5 - 6 club members in each convoy and plenty to support. At 11:15 the whole pack was enjoying the view on top of the Fossil Rock and 11:45 everyone was back to the road SAFE & SOUND :;^^:

Congratulation to all who got their First star and looking forward to seeing you next weekend

Cheers
Shamsi
The one and only reason i did not come to this CM drive was the thought of not bieng abe to have those date cookies. :ouch___it_hurts:

Although i still manage to have an amazing evening with full credit to Almost4x4 :cool: :thumbsup:
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Booy
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hello everyone,

It is always a pleasure to welcome new members to our off-road community and very satisfying seeing happy smiles and faces after the drive.

I am looking forward to seeing you again this coming Friday, at the drive dedicated to our new newbie members.

Till then...

Regards,

Booy
@Booy

Blue FJ Cruiser, with an Atlas on the door
Slydubai

alshamsi_m wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:28 pm Hi @Slydubai

I found a video for you before we become friendly :;^^:

You will notice that we were in the AIR most of the time :secret_laugh:

P.S: The guy with the long white truck was the owner of the maroon wrangler :beaten:

See you in the NEXT levels
Yeah, that is another level no doubt with air time at its maximum!

Somehow, it does not surprise me at all the Silverado 3500HD owner was flying in the air with the TJ thumbsup
Vika

Hiii, everyone!!!

We were all looking forward to the change from hot summer to "not very hot summer"😜, but unfortunately the change of seasons often brings colds🤧. And I was no exception. But in everything you need to look for a bright side, so I'm on sick leave😷🤪 and I have plenty of time to thank and express my delight for another incredible experience🤩.

Many thanks to the organizers and to all marshals for positive emotions, friendly atmosphere and invaluable knowledge🤗. Also, a special thank you for the opportunity to be the second car in the convoy under the leadership of @alshamsi_m. Despite the fact that I drove a big enough car for a girl with not very good visibility, nevertheless, I managed to overcome my fears and continue driving regardless of "what is there on the other side?"🙏I also realized my mistakes, first of all, problems with speed and a hard brake during the drops, which haunts me and I look forward to next Friday to work them out and get a new dose of adrenaline.

Many thanks to the support and rescue😇.

Many thanks for the opportunity to meet new and new people with similar hobbies and interests😇.

Million thanks for the opportunity to be a small part of your club @almost4x4🤗🤗🤗

Viktoriia,
Stay safe!!!
"The most effective way to do it, is just to do it"
Claude

Hi everyone!
Great experience and wonderful to feel in good hands when you dare driving for the first time in the dune! Very welcoming ambiance and great opportunity to meet passionate people.
Thanks a lot Shamzi and all the marshals for taking so good care of us, looking forward to the next time:)!
Claude (blue Range Rover)
Letsdrive2020
Club Member
Club Member

It was a great drive and thanks a lot al Shamsi for smooth drive
& great opportunity to meet passionate people.

Thanks a lot again Al Shamsi and all the sweepers who support and take care of us.

Looking forward to meet you in next drive!
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Almosters!

Welcome to all the participants from the 3 convoys!

We had a very nice Club Member drive this Friday, with convoys lead by @Abu Jimmy , @Booy and last but not least @alshamsi_m , where I was floating.

On @alshamsi_m convoy everyone did great, following the track from the leading car, radio communication and proper distance.

We stop at Fossil Rock, where we could chitchat and check the amazing landscape from that point!

After it we move to the Gas Station where everyone with the tools were able to have it check and get their first star.

Hope to see you all on next weekend,