Salalah Adventure 2019

Booy
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hello Salalah 2019 Adventurers,

We are looking forward to reading your trip reports here.

Please share your experience with the rest of the Almost4x4 family. Lot's have been said on the Salalah 2019 mobile chat group, but I want to encourage you to share more here for all members to enjoy.

Feel free to add links to your pictures and videos. [mention]Rashidjass[/mention] created a Salalah 2019 Facebook album with lots of videos and pictures. Anyone feel free to add your pictures and videos to the album for everyone to enjoy. The link:

Salalah Pictures

Best regards,

Booy
@Booy

Blue FJ Cruiser, with an Atlas on the door
arun

A big shout out of thanks to all members of the organizing team and the marshal for the trip [mention]Booy[/mention] for their meticulous planning before I begin my report.

To Salalah: Day 0

The Trip to Salalah was set to start on Aug 15th, but the work for the organizing committee started much in advance. I got an invite on July 15 for a briefing on July 24. The briefing was given by [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] in his usual style with lots of entertaining nostalgic stories from his past. Little did I had an idea that the marshal actually does a scouting trip to Salalah before drafting the drive plan with a list of locations to be covered during the actual trip. Great work by the Project manager [mention]Johanna[/mention] for the overall planning efforts and co-ordinations for the event. A thoughtfully prepared trip kit (such an awesome/ compact bag) was given and we shared a very big heavy Meal :)

A Whatsapp group came into existence, so communication and collaboration to prepare for the trip was just a msg away. The day came Aug 15th, by the time I was done loading everything in the car, I had a feeling that I was actually shifting home and not going on vacation…. My Xterra - did an amazing job of giving room for everything and we started our trip by 5.15pm Aug 15, 2019.

Meet most of fellow drivers of the trip most at the border and reached the starting point by 9.00 pm. After a small briefing and we started our epic journey. [mention]Booy[/mention] leading, followed by [mention]Cyndi[/mention] , [mention]kriskian[/mention] [mention]Akader.alshawi[/mention] , myself, then [mention]Lenny[/mention] and [mention]rapailo[/mention] as the sweeper. Occassional memroies of my summersault on Indian highways in the past on a lonely night made me anxious at times. Thanks to the team and specially our the sweeper [mention]rapailo[/mention] for the constant engagement :D .

We stopped approximately every 300 km to fueled up and stretch the muscles. With two breaks to feed the burning belly of our hungry cars HAIMA town welcomed us by 3.30 am. Marshal informed that we will regroup and start by 6.00am. After peaceful sleep of few hours in the truck resting area, we cranked our engines with the touch of daylight and set to conquer the mountain.
The long journey with the company of the empty lands went on for hours with our Marshal leading and Rapilo at rear ensuring the convoy is in formation. The much awaited response from our marshal of approaching the military checkpoint came.we reached the check point at the foot hills with company of rain and fog, checking was like a breeze without any fuzz. Now with visibility down to 25- 40 Metre on a hilly terrain and rain pouring on us, I was pushing forward to get the sight of the car that I was following. It took some time to catch up with the convoy.( The FJ’s before me never slow down….:)). Enjoying the scenic view of the Salalah Mountain (with the mercy of fog) and welcome breeze,we reached Ittine Street around 12 to 12:30 PM. Though our search for “Chicken Mandi” didn’t happen as we arrived a little early. Hunger made most of us settle down for the chicken which was roasted on the stones. With an accomplished feeling of having set foot in salalah we agreed to meet tomorrow for the next adventure.

Day 1:

With loads of enthusiasm to face the new day we made it to the meeting point so early that I had to check with people whether the meeting point is correct. Slowly, the convey started lining up. Cyndi decided to be passenger for the day. [mention]alex9683[/mention] and [mention]zico[/mention] joined us. After the briefing we started off.

This time there was a break in the convoy so [mention]rapailo[/mention] was leading [mention]alex9683[/mention] and I was tailing alex enroute to Al mameef cave. No matter how hard Rapilo tried we couldn’t catch up with first four cars (Booy, chris, Abdal, Lenny) of convoy. Then came the diversion and the two FJ’s before me speeding up on the bumpy terrain and I kept on following wondering there was no mention of any off-road drive in the briefing. Luckily the bumpy stretch with sharp U turns ended fast. We reached the Al mameef cave in next 15 mins. After enjoying the scenic beauty of the cave and showers from the blow holes we set off to fazayeh Beach sand. The drive to the beach was so enjoyable with great view along the twists and turns that we took.

After a resting break we started our return journey towards prophet Ayob Mm. Having been close to nature from the morning we spend quite some time on road with heavy traffic on our route. Once we reached our convoy count was plus one with [mention]Barish[/mention] . We enjoyed the drizzle and fog for some time and started our journey again. Our Marshal @Booy lead the convoy and @Barish.
Our convey drove to a spot where the cows were grassing. We stopped to explore the place which was land of grass with rocks widely spread and sharp cliff after some point. Being lost in the beauty of the terrain and lush green colorful sight, little did I bother about where we were and the discussion around a waterfall and poor weather (fog). By now the beauty of Salalah was playing its very own melody in me. On the way back as the evening was setting in the marshal called it a day.

Day 2:

After the initial briefing we started our scenic drive towards the side of Yemen. The drive was such a liberating drive surrounded by mountains, occasional visit of camels on the roads. Towards the end of the day we started climbing the mountain some through road and major part offroad inching forward in 4L. Words can’t do justice for the sound of the engine roaring every time, you step on the gas and feeling of finally getting to where you want to be. Towards the end of the day we were at an altitude of 1570 m above sea level towards the end of the cliff surrounded by fog. What do u do when u reach such a spot… pull out the chairs and settle down for a relaxed evening. The day ended on a relaxing note.

Day 3:

The briefing for the day started from Crowne Plaza hotel. Having seen the beach, mountains, fog.. We were super exited that we were going to see a forest. This was an action packed day which started with anti-gravity point, Baobab forest, Hut spring, Darbat feeder cave. The offroad track to Darbat feeder cave moved the offroad driving to a step higher than the previous day, the whole track was wet due to rain and some occasional splash of mud to change the color of the car. ([mention]rapailo[/mention] you were the rock star to change your FJ to near brown)

On the way back headed to Taiq cave and were enthusiastic members went for a small hike to find the cave. Some of us decided to wind off a little enjoying the scenic view around. As the Sun went down trip of the day came to an end. Thanks for [mention]Akader.alshawi[/mention] and [mention]kriskian[/mention] for the lead towards the heart of Salalah streets.
On the way back to our apartments visited the banana and coconut market and ended up tasting Omani Halwa. So many flavors and so yummy…. To anyone with sweet tooth a must try. Glad we didn’t miss it.

Day 4:

Even after four consecutive days of spending most of the daytime on the car the excitement of the trip didn’t turn down even a bit. Everyone was one time for the initial briefing and we traveled over the clouds, seen Rakhyut cave and also viewed from heaven. Such an amazing view points and towards the end, we were at the hidden beach. The off-road stretch to the hidden beach was so worth it for the view of the beach and relaxed time that we spend viewing the clouds.

Day 5:

The day started for us with a bitter feeling that we need to be on our way back the same time tomorrow. After the briefing we started to Darbat Park then to couple of springs. Some springs greeted us with water and few were dry due to the weather.

We got some extra time and decided to climb and reach the spot at Al Shadhf in Falqqot. This time the view of the stranded ship was an easy sight from the cliff.

Return to Dubai: Day 6

We Started our journey by 9:00 am after the usual briefing. We were a convoy of 5 car with [mention]Booy[/mention] leading and [mention]Akader.alshawi[/mention] as the end as sweeper. By now everyone was so used to driving the whole day so we didn’t stop much other than fueling the car every 300 km. Nature's blessing near Nizwa was the sand storm, rain hale storm(hmm we were lucky to miss it) and sighting of the rainbow.. Touched the UAE border around 8.00 pm and after the border clearing formalities all set to get back to our homes with the long lasting memories.
“Trip to Salalah is an experience - better with friends; best with loved one”. The memories created will always be cherished. Kudos to Almosters for the sense of camaraderie and togetherness all along the trip.
Big thanks you to our Marshals and every member of the organizing team who put their time and efforts to make 2019 Salalah trip a grand success. God willing.. Hope to see the Salalah skies again in the years to come.
Barish
Marshal
Marshal

I did not know that i would be this much happy when i decided to consume my vacation in Salalah rather than my home contry.

Salalah is a pretty town; old, non civilized, belongs to its own.

If to be explained, here will not be enough. I will just list shortly.

- Breezing Mist
- Tearing the Fog
- Independence of Waters
- Serenity on the Clouds
- Resting Waves
- Driving at 1400mts
- Laying on the Green
- Calming on the Mud
- Relaxation on the Beaches
- Delicious Camel meat
- Fresh fruits

Thanks to all Almost Salalah drivers for amazing one week in heaven. Me and my family had dreamy time in Salalah.

Thanks to [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] and the rest of the organization commitee, [mention]Booy[/mention] ⁩for great lead and special thanks to [mention]zico[/mention] ⁩once more demonstrating that we are really a family not in words but in honest action. It meant too much to me and my family..!

Salalah 2020; insha'Allah..!

Barish