Friday Funday 1

presa
Marshal
Marshal

Taco wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:45 am
ps I've 265/60R18, terrible Kumho tires which by the way have the M+S marking on them
What pressure are you using? Pressure plays a big role...
Taco

presa wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:59 am
ps I've 265/60R18, terrible Kumho tires which by the way have the M+S marking on them
I was at 12psi and cannot imagine going any lower with my current set-up and my experience level.. Halfway into the drive when we stopped to rest I rechecked and they had gone up to 14-14.5psi so I deflated a bit more to come back down to 12psi again. I cannot recall though if the issue had happened before or after I had the chance to deflate again.
Taceddin "Taco" | 0564806086
-----------------------------------------------------
What signature? I don't need one!
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Taco wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:07 pm
presa wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:59 am
I was at 12psi and cannot imagine going any lower with my current set-up and my experience level.. Halfway into the drive when we stopped to rest I rechecked and they had gone up to 14-14.5psi so I deflated a bit more to come back down to 12psi again. I cannot recall though if the issue had happened before or after I had the chance to deflate again.
On next drive set the tire pressure and let's check with a different gauge, so we are sure there is no deviance...
Taco

presa wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:17 pm On next drive set the tire pressure and let's check with a different gauge, so we are sure there is no deviance...
Will do, thanks! thumbsup
Taceddin "Taco" | 0564806086
-----------------------------------------------------
What signature? I don't need one!
kriskian
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi All,

Got a telegram last thrusday from a good Samaritan 10 plus convey is open, that's how I got an opportunity to drive on Friday.

The drive was perfect with minimum stoppage and maximum drive time.

After a very long time was part of a convoy where everyone did everything perfectly.

The track had everything in it and was a well planned one by [mention]Scorpio[/mention] .

Thanks for the experience and the opportunity.
kriskian,
Grey FJ
osman
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi,

I like to start my thanks to [mention]Lenny[/mention] as I was not even aware there was a new convoy added late Wednesday afternoon until he messaged me on Thursday noon and to [mention]JockJKU[/mention] to include me in the list.
The drive was led by [mention]Scorpio[/mention] with his fourth star still sparkling and he delivered an enjoyable route on his birthday, well done!
One point I observed and like to share is: Please stop behind if someone announces a second try.
I had to do a second try because I had to slowdown to keep a safe distance since the car in front of me struggled a bit to climb-up to top of a soft dune. I found out that I had not enough power to go further and announced a second try then turned down, making a loop and coming back again. What I realised was that the convoy continued to follow my track after my radio message. When I made the circle, I had to stop and allow few more cars to pass in front of me and then I drove to the top of the dune with the right momentum in place. So, just be aware we might do second tries without stopping.
Overall, it is yet another Friday with fun, thanks to all making our club a great club.
Warning: Sand is addictive... and also the sea salt.
Lenny
Intermediate
Intermediate

Big thanks to Jock for opening a 3rd convoy to fill the insatiable appetite of the hungry 10+ grin & thanks to the shining new explorers for supporting these convoys & showing us such an awesome time. have a nice day

You guys are amazing! thumbsup

It’s been a while since I’d driven with the almost family in this area, I think it was 10 – when we came here last , it’s such an fantastic area to drive in. XD

This morning I wasn’t sure if it was the sugar rush from the cake wink or Scorpios driving style , he was off to a flying start with the 10+ old & new.

Scorpio set a superb track to test our skills & expose our weaknesses & made valuable lessons along the way with a lot of fun.

I really enjoyed this drive & the flow of the convoy was very good & at one point it felt like we were dancing among the Dunes arc to arc yaeh am not durnk

We encountered very soft sand in some areas which caused trouble to a few drivers , but under the watchful eyes of Rashid Jass , Rooies & Thiago self-recoveries were executed perfectly. thumbsup

We had 1 Pop out which was again fixed in record time with experienced hands working the magic.

Thanks to all who showed up & made this Friday a real Fun day XD

See u all in Desert Gazing! playingsmiley
Rathica
Crew
Crew

The drive aimed for a good pace and I did my bit to keep up. Such a good range of dune straight Cresting and side sloping. I was thoroughly challenged and felt proud of my efforts. Generally communication was good but it could have been better ito. members reporting dune clearance. Between [mention]Taco[/mention] and I, we ensured that a member remained with the convoy and we all got home safely. Thank you to the sweepers ❤️ and to [mention]Solmaz[/mention] and [mention]Barish[/mention] for putting together a great trip.
Congratulations [mention]Barish[/mention] on your promotion to Explorer level🎉🎉🎉
Join me drawing in the sand
👑Dauntless 🚙💨
Barish
Marshal
Marshal

First briefing, first "lets move" on the radio, first "holding" confirmation to the support team, first "thanks" to drivers...!

It is really a different feeling when you are in the front..the desert in front of me with all its infinity as if it opens its arms and waiting to hug. Believe me, you will love more..!

We started the drive with low pace and challenged the drivers with straight crest followed by continous side sloops and decorated with the drops. I was very happy to see all accepted the challenge and completed the drive with just a couple of stucks and second tries.

Thanks to [mention]JockJKU[/mention] for giving me the opportunity to lead. Thanks to [mention]solmaz[/mention] for great support of being everywhere and eyes on the convoy and on the pace of the drive. Thanks to [mention]presa[/mention] for guidance on critical points and thanks to [mention]nabil_k[/mention] for sweep and recoveries. [mention]Johanna[/mention] was great as my 2nd lead keeping the track of drivers behind, especially while getting out from the egg basket.

Change is just a waste of time if you dont improve.

See you on the sand soon.

Barish
Johanna
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hello all,

thanks to Marshals effort and dedication this drive was open for all Newbie level drivers and we had three convoys, I joined the 5- convoy lead by [mention]Barish[/mention] with floating support of [mention]Solmaz[/mention] and [mention]presa[/mention].

The briefing was very clear:
1. keep correct distance
2. give clear when leading car do so
3. report issues immediately
4. dont fight gravity

We had a short warming up before @Barish increased the speed and the level.
@Barish lead the convoy through the Faqa dunes "safari style" with a nice zig zag line and a few relatively sharp turns.
I guess for most of the drivers it was their first "driving an arch experience". I personally love arches, but they might be a bit intimidating in the beginning.
You can only drive arches when you have enough speed, thats why the pace was relatively high.
After a while you will learn what is the right speed for different obstacles and it starts to feel natural.

I often have think about the sentence "A moving car is a safe car", I guess I heard it first from @Daggerfall. So in case you loose power, always turn down, dont fight against gravity or hit the break on side slops and arches.

Our convoy did very well, just keep the communication and distance thing in mind.

It was fun to drive with you guys, special thanks to @Barish, great first lead thumbsup

See you all on the next Friday - Fun Day
BR, Johanna

If it excites you and scares you at the same time, it probably means you should do it.