1000 Crests

Johanna
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hello Almosters,

it was a windy morning in Al Qudra. We enjoyed some coffee and tea, this time from [mention]zico[/mention]. [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] and Gandalf the White took the convoy from Al Qudra towards Al Ain Road. First half of the drive we drove through small and medium sized dunes, tackling them with a lot of straight crests. Bu Salem pointed out in the briefing the importance of the right straight crest technique as preparation for higher level drives. In higher levels you can expect huge drops behind a straight crest (wait until you see the incredible Liwa dunes in love ), so the right speed is essential.
The second part of the drive was more technical with small and narrow dunes.
We had second tries and a few stucks, but no serious incidents. This drive was a good lesson to keep the right distance and adjust it to the given terrain.
In your first drives you will most likely be busy to think about everything. Right distance, radio communication, driving technique, cars behavior....The more you drive, the less you have to actively think about everything.
I had some throw back moments in this drive, thinking about my own experience and I think after the third or fourth drive with Almost, I was absolutely addicted and since then I am in the desert every weekend... So you have been warned grin
I was very happy to see [mention]Rathica[/mention] driving, we need some more girl power in the club in love, so I hope to see you in the next drives as well, we have some fundays ahead grin

So I hope you all had a great morning in the sand, I definitely had fun.

See you all soon have a nice day
BR, Johanna

If it excites you and scares you at the same time, it probably means you should do it.
RubiKhan90
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hey Guys,

I read the description of the convoy and there was a disclaimer that it will be a simple and slow drive, so dont join if you will find it boring. Knowing it would be a simple drive, I joined the convoy to practice and learn more about straight cresting. I arrived at the meeting point and quickly started to delate and prepare for the drive. It was a warm windy morning and forecasts predicted temperatures to reach 40'C. :oops:

As usual, we had a pre- drive brief lead by [mention]Shamsi[/mention] where he mentioned that mastering the craft of straight cresting will help us as a driver to tackle taller dunes. Once the briefing was over, we were told our positions and I was asked to sweep the convoy. We started with an easier terrain with straight dunes, a great way to get everyone warmed up for what was yet to come.

There were a few second attempts and a few stuck situations but nothing that the support team couldnt handle. We were reminded constantly to maintain a safe distance and to always call out that we have cleared the crest for the driver behind us. At the later stage of the drive, Bu Salem took us into a more technical area which everyone tackled really well. The weather started to get warmer and reaching 42'C as per the ambiance temperature gauge in my car.

I was told by Abu Tarek to follow the tracks even if I am the last one i n the convoy. He said if someone sees what you are doing behind them and tries to do the same and gets stuck, you're going to be the one to recover them :lol: .

Once the drive was over, we were radio'd in that we can all inflate at the ADNOC station on Al Ain HWY We took some very dusty side roads and I couldnt see anything in the back :shock: . Once everyone arrived at the stattion, we all as usual proceeded to inflate our tires etc. I was inflated and ready to leave when I found out someone had a flat battery. With the help of [mention]Yankee doodle[/mention] , we jump started their car and then I was off.

It was great to see you all and I cant wait to drive again with you all again :D

Have a great week everyone!
Zahran [Rubi]Khan
055-2394047
Adrian

This was drive number 6 for me and now I'm finding that I can take in my surroundings a bit more during the drive. Previously I was so focussed on following the car in front exactly and not making any mistakes that I didn't look around at all.
At times the convoy was moving really fast and it was a new challenge to keep up but not get too carried away and miss say a small ditch at high speed. Every drive throws up something new and I'm loving every minute of it. A big thank you again to all you organisers, marshalls etc. for putting on these trips for us newcomers.
Youssef.Abdelhady
Advance
Advance

Hey Almosters,
We had a unique convoy of only founders, intermediates and newbies. ORLY

[mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] was leading, [mention]Yazan[/mention] as second lead, [mention]zico[/mention] floating and an intermediate between every 3 newbies.

The purpose of the drive was to practice the correct speed for straight cresting, so we did as many of those as we could fit into 3 hours. The convoy did well, there were a few second tries and stuck cars every now and then but that’s all part of the fun. thumbsup

There was a situation where one car was stuck slightly sideways. Unfortunately the ideal corner to use for recovery had no recovery points (most cars don’t have one there due to the exhaust), so Zico jumped in to the driver seat, worked his magic, and got the car out in no time. yuush

Then after 15 minutes into the drive, I hear “Thank you for driving with Almost4x4”… I look at the watch and its 11:30…. How? … When? Time just flew by that morning. OSMILEY

Had a ton of fun and looking forward to next weekend. in love

See you all soon. pacman
Good Things Come To Those Who Floor It. redbullsmiley
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello everyone

It was nice to see the birds joining the meeting point. I noticed that many members following Google maps literally without using their sense bu passing the meeting point and then doing a sharp turn to come to us. We had similar scenario were members came from the desert instead of the entrance point from the road.

My advice is to get yourself familiar with the location you are going to, so you find the best route, the last petrol station and the time needed. Don't just press GO in the morning without knowing the above.

The drive was relaxed as expected but the wind spiced it up. The last part was a bit technical and we were surrounded with more than 1000 Crest thumbsup but we managed to get out as planned.

Thank you all and looking forward to see you soon in the sand. Don't forget that Ramadan is coming with 6 events for the 10 - , 4 drives on Fridays , Grand Iftar on May 17th. and Sahour on the 25th.

Cheers
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Rathica
Crew
Crew

Hello Almosters,
[mention]alshamsi[/mention] put us through our paces in the 1000 crests. And he set [mention]Johanna[/mention] as my pace maker 🥳 so the party was on.
It was a 100% focus drive. Cresting dunes are my challenge and I grabbed it with both hands on the steering. The first part of the drive had higher dunes which I managed without incident. The second part of the drive had smaller and sharper dunes with quick sharp turns. The pace was fast. Definitely technical and keeping the right distance with good communication on the radio while navigating the turns was tricky but doable. Only got stuck once on a switch and had to seek help from [mention]zico[/mention] to help me out - who did so like a Prince giving me advice on how to tackle the switch next time. I had a second go and made the switch 👏🏼
My next challenge is to get the 'switch' across the Crest by getting the right approach.
[mention]Johanna[/mention] I'm definitely hooked and you will be seeing more of me if I can get online in time when registration opens🙈 Thank you for being my lead.
See you all on the sand👍🏼
Join me drawing in the sand
👑Dauntless 🚙💨