Let’s Get Ready To Rumble!

optimus
Marshal
Marshal

Hi All!

It was 4:30 am, I woke up realizing that it’s heavily raining. I thought that the drive might be cancelled due to bad weather. But since there was no such communication on our official chat room so I started the usual drive prep. All the way until the drive started I kept on thinking how the drive would be in such conditions, how the car would behave, I have never driven in such weather before, all should be more careful since it would be difficult for our rigs to float. Hitting the wet sand walls or ditches would be more worse than hitting the soft sand walls, we could easily break our bumpers, radiators or anything underbody plus the high chances of pop outs and roll overs! All these things were in mind!

Finally after reaching the meeting point, prepped God Father for the RUMBLE, greeted friends. The area was new to everyone, it looked beautiful!

[mention]JockJKU[/mention] took the attendance, briefed about the course of the drive, the possibilities of pop outs and roll overs in those wet weather conditions and how one could avoid them. the drive was going to be safari style and with few more clubs driving in the same area there would be multiple tracks therefore he stressed upon the imp of radio comm and proper distance. I was appointed as 2nd lead, [mention]James[/mention] was at my 6. Bu Salem was sweeping, Solmaz, Barish and Giorgio were floating and at the same time keeping the convoy safe and connected!

It was only 5 mins in the drive, Jock took his Leon over a small bump and crossed over to other side, in order to avoid the bump I just went half a meter to the right side, mother gravity pulled me more to the right and I find my self stuck at an angle on a small dune. Tried self recovery for about 10 mins using all the electronics available onboard but nothing worked. Finally it was decided to use the old school recovery, Bu Salem took the steering wheel and barish did a pull from behind using our Viking! Please if someone has a video or pictures , please post them here. Let all of us see how such recoveries are performed.

The rest of the drive was just one word “Awesome” pure safari! Few basic driver side sidecrests, one amazing climb in a bowl.

Other than that we had few other stucks, a pop out,multiple second tries!

Last but not the least-
a big thanks to [mention]JockJKU[/mention] for organizing the drive.
Thanks to [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] Bu Salem, [mention]Solmaz[/mention] , [mention]Barish[/mention] and [mention]giorgio[/mention] for the rescue and support, you guys are the reason behind the fun we had today!

Keep the sand flying!!!

Till next time!
Optimus
Black FJ (The Godfather)
JockJKU
Club Member
Club Member

Morning All!!

We had a convoy of 10+ that braved it through the weather and managed to turn up on time, so thanks to all for that!

The convoy did ok on this mostly safari style track! Thanks [mention]optimus[/mention] for the second lead, [mention]Solmaz[/mention], [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] and [mention]giorgio[/mention] and [mention]Barish[/mention] for the support!!

Special thanks must go to the area! It was amazing and has real potential and for sure my drives will be going back there again, soon!!!

See you next time!

Jock
giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

Let's get ready to Rumble

As was mentioned before this was a rainy weekend, something that most of us are not accustom too. Apparently someone may think that driving on a hard sand makes things easier (partially it is correct) but as always advantages come with disadvantages, which in this case was that the hard sand is keeping hidden surprises:
a) easier to get a pop out ( since the sand is hard and turning on the end of a decent as well as during the drive will need to be done with cautious and more of an open radius)
b) driving on a slope is more challenging as you will need to be extra careful while drifting. The hard sand won't give up as the soft sand but will provide resistance and will work as an pivot point and it may result either in a pop out or roll over.

All the above were highlighted during the briefing process from the lead/organizer [mention]JockJKU[/mention] and [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention].

With [mention]JockJKU[/mention] on the lead [mention]optimus[/mention] second [mention]Solmaz[/mention] [mention]Barish[/mention] [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] and myself floating the convoy set for a new adventure.

The first incident was waiting for us on the first 700 meters were we found [mention]optimus[/mention] stuck on a challenging angle, The dune was not more than a 2 meter high but it was good enough to wake us all up and remind us that when you snooze you loose. The recovery was fairly quick and successful.
The drive continued on a safari style and the several drivers from the convoy were struggling to coop. Stucks on weird angles, second and third tries as well as several stops were predominately the main players while the drivers were trying to progress on the drive.

This is the first time where i was invited to float rather been within the convoy so i got to see and experience the convoy's performance from a different angle.

As a floater (on a lower level than your skills drive) you have the opportunity to chose your own lines move back and forth along the convoy cut corners and time travel. This way you get to see all the drivers and their performance from every angle. I guess this is how we are been evaluated in every drive from out Marshalls. When i say these guys can see everything i do mean it there is no one thing that they will miss as they can be at any given time in any part of the convoy they chose too.

Now little about time travelling. For the newcomers and in case they do not understand the term i would elaborate little since it is a phenomenon that always make me wonder and smile and ask how do they do it. So here we go

So as i mentioned i was floating but not like an advance driver I was actually following [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] floating lines. Where every he was going i was right behind him. So at one moment we were at the end of the convoy with [mention]Rooies[/mention] on my 9 o"clock then suddenly [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] change our direction from 12 to 3 took a side crest and an other one then 9 o'clock again and voila we' re now at the middle of the convoy standing on a higher ground looking the drivers passing by and of-course [mention]Rooies[/mention] passed in-front of us. This is time traveling my friends.
Although you may read this and it sounds simple, let me assure you that it is not simple at all. It is like these magic tricks that you see them happening and then they reveal the trick to you and when you try to do you look like a fool. Now let me explain my time traveling attempt.

The convoy was on a move i am at the end I scout the area and i decided to disappear from the end and appear on the middle so i took my chances. I manage to disappear (that i did it good) but when i appear on the other side i was alone with some tire tracks. Where did they go? how did they move so fast? I looked left and right i saw none. Now what? ok simple follow the tracks. I floored it followed the tire marks for around 30 seconds then i climb higher but nothing. Time to talk to the driver You idiot you got lost. Ok no panicking call the radio but why i did i loose them now i started waking up the convoy did not make a left as i though they will they made a right. I turned around and i went the other direction soon after that i saw fresh tracks, I was now sure i was going the right direction soon enough i saw [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] at no time i was back with the convoy pretending that nothing has happened but alot has happened i was just been taught a great lesson.

To close here it was a very interesting drive well chosen track and we all enjoyed it to the maximum.

Thank you all organizer support and drivers for the wonderful drive in the rain and hope to see you all soon.

[mention]Rooies[/mention] my apologies for making you almost loose that one valuable star that you have so hard worked for. Now we both know better angry

See you all on the sand soon
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of the sheep
Johanna
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds you guys had an interesting morning - whole range of rescue situations, rain and time travel... ORLY
waiting to read more reports... thumbsup
BR, Johanna

If it excites you and scares you at the same time, it probably means you should do it.
Scorpio
Marshal
Marshal

giorgio wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:14 am Let's get ready to Rumble

As was mentioned before this was a rainy weekend, something that most of us are not accustom too. Apparently someone may think that driving on a hard sand makes things easier (partially it is correct) but as always advantages come with disadvantages, which in this case was that the hard sand is keeping hidden surprises:
a) easier to get a pop out ( since the sand is hard and turning on the end of a decent as well as during the drive will need to be done with cautious and more of an open radius)
b) driving on a slope is more challenging as you will need to be extra careful while drifting. The hard sand won't give up as the soft sand but will provide resistance and will work as an pivot point and it may result either in a pop out or roll over.

All the above were highlighted during the briefing process from the lead/organizer @JockJKU and @alshamsi_m.

With @JockJKU on the lead @optimus second @Solmaz @Barish @alshamsi_m and myself floating the convoy set for a new adventure.

The first incident was waiting for us on the first 700 meters were we found @optimus stuck on a challenging angle, The dune was not more than a 2 meter high but it was good enough to wake us all up and remind us that when you snooze you loose. The recovery was fairly quick and successful.
The drive continued on a safari style and the several drivers from the convoy were struggling to coop. Stucks on weird angles, second and third tries as well as several stops were predominately the main players while the drivers were trying to progress on the drive.

This is the first time where i was invited to float rather been within the convoy so i got to see and experience the convoy's performance from a different angle.

As a floater (on a lower level than your skills drive) you have the opportunity to chose your own lines move back and forth along the convoy cut corners and time travel. This way you get to see all the drivers and their performance from every angle. I guess this is how we are been evaluated in every drive from out Marshalls. When i say these guys can see everything i do mean it there is no one thing that they will miss as they can be at any given time in any part of the convoy they chose too.

Now little about time travelling. For the newcomers and in case they do not understand the term i would elaborate little since it is a phenomenon that always make me wonder and smile and ask how do they do it. So here we go

So as i mentioned i was floating but not like an advance driver I was actually following @alshamsi_m floating lines. Where every he was going i was right behind him. So at one moment we were at the end of the convoy with @Rooies on my 9 o"clock then suddenly @alshamsi_m change our direction from 12 to 3 took a side crest and an other one then 9 o'clock again and voila we' re now at the middle of the convoy standing on a higher ground looking the drivers passing by and of-course @Rooies passed in-front of us. This is time traveling my friends.
Although you may read this and it sounds simple, let me assure you that it is not simple at all. It is like these magic tricks that you see them happening and then they reveal the trick to you and when you try to do you look like a fool. Now let me explain my time traveling attempt.

The convoy was on a move i am at the end I scout the area and i decided to disappear from the end and appear on the middle so i took my chances. I manage to disappear (that i did it good) but when i appear on the other side i was alone with some tire tracks. Where did they go? how did they move so fast? I looked left and right i saw none. Now what? ok simple follow the tracks. I floored it followed the tire marks for around 30 seconds then i climb higher but nothing. Time to talk to the driver You idiot you got lost. Ok no panicking call the radio but why i did i loose them now i started waking up the convoy did not make a left as i though they will they made a right. I turned around and i went the other direction soon after that i saw fresh tracks, I was now sure i was going the right direction soon enough i saw @alshamsi_m at no time i was back with the convoy pretending that nothing has happened but alot has happened i was just been taught a great lesson.

To close here it was a very interesting drive well chosen track and we all enjoyed it to the maximum.

Thank you all organizer support and drivers for the wonderful drive in the rain and hope to see you all soon.

@Rooies my apologies for making you almost loose that one valuable star that you have so hard worked for. Now we both know better angry

See you all on the sand soon
Interesting read thumbsup
Scorpio
+971 55 5804488
Drives a grey FJ 'Everest'
The race for excellence has no finish line!
AbdulRahman

another 10+ ride and another difficulty level set , i really like how each drive in the 10+ so far was harder than the one before , this had an added unplanned bonus of rain

the first 10 minutes of a ride always seems like a warm up ,but with a new area with rain and the numerous number of times [mention]JockJKU[/mention] asked us to be focused due to the higher risk of rollover in these conditions we were set to a very interesting drive

i was driving behind [mention]Haani[/mention] and saw him having couple of very hard climbs that didnt instill a lot of confidence as i was driving the lwb version of the car but gave me a good idea of how early should i be pushing the car

the dunes were a lot higher than what im used to and [mention]JockJKU[/mention] was continuously increasing the difficulty level or so it seemed from my seat , the muddy terrain meant i had less power and had to plan even earlier to have enough momentum , had multiple second tries during the day and turned down multiple times during some climbs

we had a series of interesting stucks that added to the learning experience , and every-time you think it's the car [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] passes by with his Hilux confirming you have a long way to go in terms of building experience

thanks to [mention]JockJKU[/mention] [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] [mention]Solmaz[/mention] & [mention]giorgio[/mention] for the great support
Phoenix
Crew
Crew

AbdulRahman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:16 pm
every-time you think it's the car @alshamsi_m passes by with his Hilux confirming you have a long way to go in terms of building experience
Next time you see [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention]'s Hilux, take a close look at the tyres. They dont even have any threads left on them. Specially the front tyres ninja

He travels through dimensions and time but our human eyes only see him as traveling through distance using a vehicle.
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Barish
Marshal
Marshal

Another nice morning in Sweihan while the good weather is about to leave and the rain is a messenger for that..

Wipers on while driving! The sand was wet, meaning an opportunity for popouts and situations may happen if you do not have the right momentum. However, nothing serious apart from a couple of second tries needed some recoveries and a popout. The driving distance is quite important in these kind of areas, and that why there might be needs to connect the gaps in the convoy.

All drivers did very well and finished with good memories of Sweihan. Thanks to [mention]JockJKU[/mention] for great lead, all support team making sure of the Almost way and all drivers that made it in the Almost way.

If you decide to change one day, that day should be the first day of your improvement starts; otherwise go back one day.

Barish
Haani

Yet another absolutely gob smacking drive (for lack of a better term) with the Almost family.
I drove with [mention]AbdulRahman[/mention] from Dubai via Al-Ain road. Last time I drove to Sweihan, I chose the Truck road. Having no markings and only 20m visibility, I was pretty shaken.

I like most others woke up early expecting to hear some sort of change in plans due to the adverse weather conditions. However, thanks to the will and might of our marshals and support crew, the plan was unchanged.

The drive was beautiful. It was challenging at times and exciting throughout and I like to think I did quite well. I was pushing my driving abilities by trying to drive as fast as possible but also not hit any ditches and protect the car. However, on one particular climb, I was a bit too careful and let go of the peddle just before my car completely climbed. This left me bellied on top and [mention]giorgio[/mention] came to rescue and gave me a gentle tug. It was my first Patrol stuck with Almost4x4 ([mention]isfand[/mention] same day :D).

Other than that, all else was smooth sailing. Like [mention]AbdulRahman[/mention] mentioned, the steeper climbs were a 50/50 effort to go over. 50% pedal to the metal and 50% praying it will climb or else turn down safely :D

[mention]JockJKU[/mention] was sure to keep us on our toes throughout the drive with high archs, tall climbs and a couple of side crests. I had a new-found appreciation for our marshals and I remember telling @aboods, It takes some guts to lead a drive in these terrains at 10+ levels. I felt as though the first half of the drive was more challenging (and thus exciting) than the second. But if I am not mistaken, he did reduce the level of difficulty towards the middle. Would love to hear your side of the story [mention]JockJKU[/mention]

I'd also like to thank [mention]Barish[/mention] for sharing some valuable tips along the way and [mention]Solmaz[/mention] and [mention]Alshamsi_m[/mention] for the support. I must add (hoping this won’t bite my a** later), this is the kind of driving I had hoped to do for some time now. I had a smile on my face throughout the drive and I look forward to learning and experiencing more challenging drives in the future
Rooies
Intermediate
Intermediate

Let's get Ready to Rumble & there was rumbling, thunder & lighting. Driving to the meeting point was special for me, because it's not always that you see thunder, lightning & rain, may sound funny, but for it was special.

What better way to spend your birthday than with your "family" in the sand. I left early not wanted to get caught in the fog, but no fog, so I was super early grin . I decided to take a nap at the fuelstation & was woken up with [mention]alshamsi[/mention] , calling saying "Wake up sunshine". We met [mention]JockJKU[/mention] & [mention]giorgio[/mention] for a coffee & headed to the meeting point. We went through the usual drills, had the briefing we were told to take care on the hard sand. [mention]JockJKU[/mention] led the convoy with [mention]optimus[/mention] as second lead, just after a few minutes we had our first wake up call, [mention]optimus[/mention] got stuck in a bad way, but with the help of our marshals & inters it did not take long before we were on our way again. The track was nice & flowing & driving on hard sand is different from soft sand. There was a few second tries & once we made the following distance bigger the issue was resolved. Speed & momentum is what is needed to make it up the big dunes.

The desert looked clean after the rain & I enjoyed the drive. [mention]Lenny[/mention] had a pop out, but that was also fairly quickly sorted out with the help of [mention]JockJKU[/mention] & we on our way again. We stopped at a big dune & waited for each car to head over to were the convoy waited. It was not as easy as it seemed & there were a couple of 2,3 tries before they made it. [mention]alshamsi[/mention] took us over another dune & we met up with the convoy. [mention]alshamsi[/mention] & [mention]giorgio[/mention] was doing time traveling, they were left of me & then appeared on my right, then gone & were ahead of me grin .

We stopped for while before heading to the main road, [mention]giorgio[/mention] waved me on to get going, which I did, the next moment [mention]alshamsi[/mention] asked me why I was changing the convoy O_O , told him why & he said not to listen to [mention]giorgio[/mention] grin .

Thank you [mention]JockJKU[/mention] , [mention]alshamsi[/mention] , [mention]Solmaz[/mention] , [mention]Barish[/mention] & [mention]giorgio[/mention] for looking after us & getting as safely to the end of the drive.

Till we meet in the sand again, stay safe.

Greetings
Rooies
Nobody Gets Left Behind