Fender Bender

Bu Touma
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello Almosters,

everything has already been said about Fender Bender drive and it’s truly accurate, it was a beautiful drive, passing through many nice spots with everyone in a good mood.

For me it has been also a very useful lesson as I was initially struggling with my JK on some medium climbs leaving me rather concerned because I could not properly understand the reasons. @alshamsi_m showed me that a combination on factors were not correctly set in my Jeep and the result was less power and torque required for overcoming medium climbs: tyre pressure, sand in air filter and electronics...

Tyre pressure was not perfectly set, then when the air filter was opened, we found enough sand that was clogging it (yes had not been covering the snorkel lately...my fault), finally last but not least, I was still mistakenly avoiding to install a kill switch or removing the fuse of the traction control, thinking that deactivating the traction control from the dashboard was manageable after all.

Willingly or not, I was not paying enough attention to basic things. In fact after the fix, the JK looked a totally different car and all the struggling was over thumbsup … it was a relief.

I will surely keep in mind this lesson, many thanks once again to @alshamsi_m for all the support shown, to @Booy and @JockJKU for their advice and thanks to all the other fellow members that shared their insight and this pleasant time together.

See you soon
Barish
Marshal
Marshal

It was very nice to drive again from big red to rocks despite of safari cars, buggies and campers around. Weather was amazing and was possible to drive with windows open the whole drive.

The first section during heat up was quite soft and the convoy removed the stain there and got ready for the rest..it is very important to keep the tire guages ready during this season next to you, especially during morning drives while we start breezing and continue under heat.

There were some second tries but despite, all the convoy did very well.

Thanks to [mention]JockJKU[/mention] for the lead, [mention]Issa[/mention] for the support and all drivers made it amazingly well.

Improvement is necessary if chg is the subject.

Barish
Jasper
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello everyone!

Well this trip started with a beautiful morning drive to the meeting point with a nice, clear and cool weather. I had my friend as a passenger, who brought his GoPro and decided to mount it on the roof. I had doubts on the suction cup but he insisted to keep it there. It did its job.

On the drive, I was assigned on the convoy led by [mention]Daggerfall[/mention]. After a quick debrief, we started climbing. I was the 4th car. From a very relaxed sitting position to an attack the dunes position. The hit on adrenaline will for sure wake you up. We had few stucks, seconds tries and a pop out immediately. After the pop out was fixed, I found myself the 3rd car, following [mention]Loca[/mention]. It's the first time for me following a short wheel based car. You really have to adjust your speed and distance as I found myself doing a second try. He was able to climb and I wasn't due to the FJ's weight.

We've got a mix of high climbs, side crests and a technical area. There was a surprise sharp front crest that we did that I think I might have made my 2 front wheels fly - thanks [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] for the warning :)

One of the best part for me was the drop. First time for me and you have to really know how to control the car. It was an amazing feeling.

Really a big thanks to [mention]JockJKU[/mention] for organizing this drive. Of course [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] for keeping us on the edge of our seats and making us enjoy every second of the drive. To the founders ([mention]alshamsi_m[/mention]), marshals ([mention]Rashidjass[/mention]) and support team ([mention]SINGH[/mention],[mention]Mohanad[/mention],[mention]nabil_k[/mention]), thanks a lot!!!

See you guys again!
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Booy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:28 pm As a side note/thought... I am still trying to figure out when our convoy members did side crests on this drive, as I certainly did not do any in the front grin

Wait for the real side cresting guys... it's going to be amazing.

Keep driving and keep having fun

If you remember after Al Faya Dune that I told you that some members will think that we did an intermediate level grin
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Petr
Intermediate
Intermediate

JockJKU wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:15 am Morning all!

I arrived early, having missed 2 weekends I was excited to be back on the sand!!

The weather was perfect, visibility was great and the contrast on the dunes made it very nice for seeing the track!!

We had great support from the inters so we split into 3 smaller convoys and by the sounds of it on the chat it went well, with the benefit of smaller convoys being felt by the drivers!!

The drive unfortunately lived up to its joke name! A jeep and an fj both had some fender issues, but apart from that our convoy really did great! No stucks, no popouts with our only stops being for 2nd tries or for breaks on our way from Badayer to Fossil!

Thank you very much to the other marshals and founders who led and supported this trip, very much appreciate it!!

Till next time!

Jock
Hey Jock,
Have you ever heard about full stops? grin
JockJKU
Club Member
Club Member

[/quote]

Hey Jock,
Have you ever heard about full stops? grin
[/quote]

They are too bland and not emotive enough!!!
Johanna
Golden Member
Golden Member

Booy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:28 pm As a side note/thought... I am still trying to figure out when our convoy members did side crests on this drive, as I certainly did not do any in the front grin

Wait for the real side cresting guys... it's going to be amazing.

Keep driving and keep having fun

Maybe theý did it secretly behind your back... wink
BR, Johanna

If it excites you and scares you at the same time, it probably means you should do it.
Loca
Intermediate
Intermediate

Dear Almosters

due to business deadlines that kept me busy in the last few days and for most of the weekend it took me a while to find some time to write the Trip Report for Fender Bender. However I like writing the reports as it's a way to fix in my mind what I learned and to keep memories of our drives grin

The first memory is the many cars and the happy, friendly faces at the meeting point. It was a 10+ drive therefore it was a get together between people who know each other since a while. People who have quite enough history and fun to feel like a real Family in love

The second and unforgettable is the gift I received from [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] who gave me the honor to be his 2nd lead. This is the best learning opportunity you can get from a drive. Our convoy was greatly supported by [mention]SINGH[/mention] , [mention]Mohanad[/mention] , [mention]nabil_k[/mention] with [mention]Rashidjass[/mention] floating

It's amazing how all the teaching delivered by our Marshals come alive during the drives. How many times did they remind us how critical is the start and the end of a drive .. the start because your senses are not yet warmed up and ready to cope, the end because you're tired and again your senses are not quick enough. Well, I experienced this the hard way when we started our drive. Not even 2 minutes drive and I did hit the hardest ditch I experienced in my life. Gina (my Pajero) went nose down on a very sharp step. I heard and felt on the steering the massive hit of the bush plate on the sand. I felt all weight of the car hitting that single piece. ouch...it hurts
[mention]kriskian[/mention] did hit the same ditch hard which also resulted in losing tyre pressure and a pop-out.

This experience and all the concerns for Gina's conditions occupied my mind in full for a few minutes. During that time I got stuck climbing a steep dune and I needed self recovery and second try. At the same time I started to feel the car was lacking power ... Luckily (for me) we had to stop again for a second try and I used this pause to reset my mind. I also checked the conditions of my car and I realized that apart from the heavy damage on the bush plate Gina was still in good shape. It was just a temporary lack of confidence and after the mind reset I started to enjoy the drive. I spent most of the drive "flooring it" and it was big big fun pacman

[mention]Daggerfall[/mention] did increase the speed and the difficulties level gradually and included many steep climbs and side crests in the menu. I know that was not the side crest level our Intermediates and Advanced drivers are used to but still was a good side crest training for 10+

For the steep climbs I had to put into practice the breaking technique that I've seen from [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] and the other Marshals: they approach the dune and break just before the nose of the car reaches the wall. Then they release the break so that the nose comes up and gives you the few extra degrees you need to increase the approach angle. I really felt rewarded by all of this learning in a single drive. Thank you [mention]Daggerfall[/mention]

The area was beautiful, as mentioned in all the other reports. Just way too marked by the many tracks. Still worth every drive for the beauty of the sceneries.

We meet the othe convoys during the drive. First we met [mention]JockJKU[/mention] who wanted to spend some extra time in an area where he could have achieved the goal of the drive grin Afterwards we met the other convoy led by [mention]Booy[/mention] and [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] at the top of Fossil Rock for some landscape enjoyment and chit chat. Then we did come down from the drop which was breath taking and we recombined at the petrol station in Al Maleha where we had big fun with the victims of the Fender Bender challenge. We had a balanced outcome with one Jeep and one FJ going back home with a bent or missing fender. This is good food for our chat as both parties can keep up with the jokes

Thank you [mention]JockJKU[/mention] for the organization of the Fender Bender drive. Thanks [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] for the amazing lead. Thanks [mention]Booy[/mention] , [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] , [mention]Rashidjass[/mention] and to all the amazing Friends of Almost4X4

Looking forward to meeting you soon in the sand
Gianluca (aka Loca)
Black/White FJ (aka La Ciccina)
Mobile 0561776322
blue_Klaus

Nothing more to add. I only hope to reach a level that I can enjoy the landscape while driving. This time I was busier concentrating on this fast and challenging drive.

See you (hopefully soon) soon in the sand, Klaus
blue JK
056 216 3201
panos

Thrilling...challenging…amazing… ( couldn’t start otherwise)

Afternoon All,

+10 family gets bigger and bigger so around 20 newbies booked their spot in seconds for last Friday’s drive. Some more worried than the others but everyone with the same excitement. [mention]JockJKU[/mention] took attendance and split us into three convoys. Initially we were supposed to be two convoys, but eventually we were three. More beneficial and fun!!!

I joined [mention]JockJKU[/mention] convoy and until I go to my car and reach the convoy I ended up last, along with [mention]optimus[/mention] and [mention]Barish[/mention] behind me watching me out. Anyway… I don’t think it made a big difference for this drive.

Weather is still amazing so enjoyed whole drive with open windows. Drive itself was amazing. For me the best one as of now I would say. In our first short stop after 30’ I told Jock that I felt like I was driving for 3hrs already.  Everyone kept the momentum so everyone enjoyed this drive. A few second tries here and there but overall a continuous drive.

Thank you Jock , [mention]kareem.alameldin[/mention], [mention]Issa[/mention] and Barish for the drive and watching us out, and well done to all of us for making this amazing drive happen.

Till next time…