Eggs in the Basket Game - Sudden Death Edition 2

optimus
Marshal
Marshal

Eggs in Basket – Sudden death vol 2.0

The challenge for me started days before the drive. I had to read & watch all the data available online regarding montana and how to use it properly so to get the best out of it. The thing took me into flashback of my university days when we used to sit just few days before the exam and start preparing for it. I arrived at the meeting point at around 1345. Started prepping my FJ for the challenge. I had even removed my shovel from the roof rack and had kept it on the passenger seat tied with the seat belt just in case if I had to use it, I could quickly take it out instead wasting precious time to climb the roof etc. The atmosphere was tensed, none of us knew the how challenging this is going to be. Some of us tried to get some hints from the marshal’s but were not at all entertained.

Once all had gathered up at the meeting point, Bu Salem lead the group to the briefing area which was a flat area. Bu Salem & Abu Jimmy explained the rules of the game and divided the challengers into 2 teams. I was in the team which was seen by Abu Jimmy, Booy & Raja. As we lined up, Panos was on my 12 and Thursday at my 6. Aoron was the time taker. As my turn arrived to reach the start point, as I climbed the dune, I was told to STOP. Raja handed over the egg to me so covertly as if it was the only egg left on planet earth and told me to do something which I barely heared. I took the egg and kept it on the passenger seat.

Navigating through the dunes, I reached my first point followed by 2nd point and while on my way to my 3rd pt. I heard Bu Salem on the radio saying if I could help Sostick. I started to look for sostick on the crests but could find him then I went further ahead and there you go, Sostick is stuck is a V-ditch and his condition was like of a someone coming out of a Sauna. I got down, assessed the situation. I had to pull him hard from the rear but even in that case I could reverse only few meters. So, it was only one pull otherwise we both could be stuck. This is what happened. I pulled him few meters up now he was able to maneuver towards either right or left side. Soon as he left, i tried also to leave but I could sense my left front and rear wheels have started to dig in and flying sand all over, without loosing anymore time digging which might have lead to no-self recovery, I immediately engaged the diff lock, a-trac and I was out in secs.

On my way to my last point I heard batfink called for help on the radio but his was a special request . He wanted only a challenger to help him not a marshal grin . I answered to his SOS, changed my route and saw him crested. A gentle pull from behind, he is out, happy and still qualified to finish the challenge. thumbsup

My last point was pt no 1. I collected the sticker from Johanna and headed straight to the finish pt. On my way I saw chrisrothman crested, I offered him my help but he gently declined. Further up, I passed by the spectator area where Bu Salem was performing a recovery. Finally, at the finish pt, I was asked to present the egg ORLY . I was like which egg wtfsmilie . The guys told me the same egg which was given to me at the start point. I went back to my car, looking for the egg and thinking about its fate. Finally, I located it under the passenger seat, partially cracked. And here I go, got disqualified because I couldn’t save the EGG. grin grin

The important is the great feeling after finishing the challenge & that I could help my fellow almosters, make them smile and complete the challenge.

Last not the least i wish to extend a huge thank you to [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] for organizing this challenge. Huge Respect to the Founders & Marshall's for bringing us up to this level & to explorers and Intermediates for your support & patience. Thank you to all.
Optimus
Black FJ (The Godfather)
DustnGlory

This was an event I’m been watching out for since being a Time taker beginning of 2018. The excitement and anticipation I saw among the challengers then was my own this Friday. Big thanks to the organizer [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] .
I was one of the early birds arriving just behind [mention]AMounir[/mention] and [mention]Kals[/mention] . Soon we had [mention]Booy[/mention] joining us and then the stream of cars kept coming and coming until we had everyone at the meeting point. There was enough time to chat and get advice from the veterans. Also enough time to compare GPS apps to see if I’m going to stay inside the grid or end up on the other side of the desert. All this was complimented by some karak from [mention]AbdulRahman[/mention] .
Soon we lined up and moved to the start point where [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] and [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] gave us a detailed overview of the game, the rules, do’s and don’ts – except one mischievous surprise. We were split into 2 convoys. I was in convoy 1 with 10 other challengers. After the initial confusions, we were lined up and ready to go. I kept entering my checkpoints on my app again and again and for some reason, it was not making sense – kept showing me my first check points was 10 miles away which I was sure is not the case. Finally ditched one app, which was getting too complicated and tried another one – and it seemed to be working fine if I enter only one target coordinate. So that was the way to go for me… Finally, it was my chance at the starting point. I could see Bu Salem talking to each driver at the starting point and thought this must be his way of sending us off with a word of encouragement. When I got there, Bu Salem comes over and asks “DustnGlory! Are you ready?” He then sneaks me the surprise – an egg – and with a devilish smile says “Best of luck – don’t break the egg. GO GO GO GO……!!!!” And we’re off!

Once in, I had to stop to get my bearings, point myself in the right direction, and hide the egg in my specs case. After the first few seconds it was fun picking a path and looking ahead to find a good line all the while holding close to my intended direction. It was less of a race, and more of an adventure for me. I managed to reach my first checkpoint pretty easily and once signed off by [mention]presa[/mention] and [mention]Yoghybear[/mention] I was on my way to the next one when I got stuck at an incline. A quick use of the shovel and good use of low gear and I was on my way again. Checkpoint 2 and 3 passed by quite quickly and now I’m confident – perhaps enjoying myself a bit too much I guess. Ditched was the initial strategy of 'find the path of least resistance' and I was looking for having fun climbing dunes – which went well for a few minutes. But then I crested on a small dune. Started digging with full energy confident that I’ll be out just like the previous one. In a few minutes, I saw [mention]JockJKU[/mention] on my 4 watching with a smile. He gave me a few tips on where to dig and was off. Later [mention]Rashidjass[/mention] and [mention]Shahs[/mention] visited me and gave me some more tips on digging. By this time I was pretty tired from all the digging. I tried engaging A-Trac and what not, but nothing will work when I can’t get traction from the wheels. Got back in the car and decided to cool off when I heard the 10 minutes left warning on the radio. There was no way I’m getting myself out now and covering the 2 remaining checkpoints, so I radioed in for help. [mention]Rashidjass[/mention] came to my rescue and I followed him out. Thinking about it later, I should have radioed in for help much earlier. Yes I would have been DQ’d but I would have had time to complete the remaining 2 checkpoints – more time to play in the dunes. Ah well.. I had fun anyways… and acquired some XP on the strategic places to dig in such situations. In addition, an important lesson – be confident, not over confident. And stick to the game plan – at least for now Psmiley .

Congrats to all the winners and everyone who completed the course – with egg or eggless. And thumbs up to everyone who got DQ’d. I trust everyone had fun, made some good memories and learnt some valuable lessons – I know I did.

Thank you organizer, founder, explorers, advance and intermediates for arranging and conducting this event in a safe and fun filled afternoon. I really appreciate and respect all the time and efforts put in to conduct this exercise. See you in sand again.
Jithin AKA Dust'nGlory

Drives an FJ = Silver Surfer =
Batfink

This was an EPIC event and as the day unfolded it started to dawn on me how much preparation and hard work had gone in to organizing the event.
So first and foremost, a BIG thank you to [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] , [mention]alshamsi[/mention], marshals, observers, time keepers and everyone who made this event such a success.

After a quick and concise briefing from [mention]alshamsi[/mention] and [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] we were split in to 2 convoys at the start line. I was the first to go in our line and had some panic trying to quickly enter the GPS coordinates, I would later discover my panic will be sending me on a nice sight seeing tour ! OSMILEY

As I approached the crest of the starting point [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] told me to stop stop stop. At first I thought this was a trick to see if I stop in the correct nose down orientation on a crest, but to my surprise he loaded me up with some delicate cargo.

My first waypoint was point 5, then 2, 4, 1, 3 and finish. My strategy was to ride high on the peaks and avoid the ditches in this tight technical area. I reached 5 and 2 with no issues, but then for point 4 my GPS was telling me it was located across the other side of the flat sabkha area
I thought oh cool, I can hit the sabkha at 80kmh and will be there in no time - so off I went......! Remember that sight seeing tour I mentioned earlier :oops:
But at point 4 there was nobody to be seen, I circled around and still couldn't see anyone wtfsmilie
After checking the coordinates again I realized I had entered one digit incorrectly on my GPS and had gone in completely the wrong direction DOH!

I finally reached the correct point 4, then quickly headed for point 1. I was now rushing to make up for lost time and tried to drive in a straight line from 4 to 1, this landed me in trouble and I got stuck on a small hump with soft sand. I quickly started digging, lowered my pressures to 9PSI, even took my rubber floor mats out to put under the wheels for traction - but no joy.
As I looked around I could see a couple of FJ's and a Patrol crested creating a nice sand shower with spinning wheels. On the radio [mention]alshamsi[/mention] said he was on his way to help me, but I replied "NOOOO, no marshal please, I need a competitor"

For those familiar with Shakespeare, you may know about the famous line in his play Richard III - A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse.

Well, mine was a similar situation, except it was
- A challenger, a challenger, my EIB finish for a challenger.

Now just imagine the scene here.............
By now the crested FJ sand showers had blocked out the sun, visibility was down to 3 meters, there was a strange and eerie silence - then suddenly the ground started to shake, thump, thump, thump and a voice, yes, a voice emerged from the sand showers "My name is [mention]optimus[/mention] and I come to save you and I am a challenger" !
At first I thought I was dreaming, but then the quick sharp jolt from the [mention]optimus[/mention] recovery made me realize this was really happening and I was freeeeeee YAY.
Seriously - thank you [mention]optimus[/mention], you are a true gentleman and hero, you sacrificed your own time (ok so you were disqualified anyway, but lets not dwell on the detail ) to rescue other challengers. thumbsup

So, I get to point 1....finally. Then head for my last and final point 3 just as [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] announces we have only 15 mins remaining. In my panic..... again, I press the wrong waypoint and end up going back to point 2 :o
After some surprised looks at point 2 :oops: , I realize my mistake and gun it for point 3, and on to take the finish line with just 5 min to spare.

What an amazing day, the anticipation....the anxiety....the adrenalin.....the laughs - WOW.
Well done to everyone, we all learnt some very valuable lessons and skills.

Thank you for the opportunity and experience, looking forward to the next challenge.
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Batfink wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:03 am
But at point 4 there was nobody to be seen, I circled around and still couldn't see anyone wtfsmilie
After checking the coordinates again I realized I had entered one digit incorrectly on my GPS and had gone in completely the wrong direction DOH!
Now I know who was telling me that I was at the wrong place...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kris_K

First of all many thanks to the club seniors and the crew for the preparation of the event. Hats off. Loads of work and dedication. I feel guilty that we arrive, drive, shake hands and drive away, write reports and thats it, whilst you all put so much work in organizing all this. We should be made to do more for the club! I want to give more.

What a day. I arrived with a massive headache and tired after the crazy week at work. After a while, when the adrenaline kicked in, all was a history.
I recorded coordinates and shoot off. All went easy and smooth, point after point. After the fifth point I was driving towards the finish, was crossing the last dune, saw [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention], got excited and yes, got crested. My first time I ever got stuck and in such an important moment and drive.

Tried 4l, difflock, nothing helped.
Shovel here we go. But try to open Patrol’s rear doors, slide 1m deep drawer and pull out a shovel with the car’s a..e hanging good 2m above the ground. Somehow managed. The never-used shovel was used this time for good 15-20min. In that time I saw half a dozen of cars passing by...
Eventually managed to get out and reached the finish with the frustration of the loss of so much time at THE LAST DUNE CROSSING.

To date I cannot fogive myself lifting the accelarator pedal for that fraction of a second seeing the finish and getting crested.

Thank you all and see you in the sand.
thursday

Hello Everyone,

Since I'm so late to post my report, I guess you heard everyone's story and all the details about the event in general. So I will just stick to my personal experience as a challenger in EIB.
First of all I would like to thank the organizers, marshals, support crew and the time takers for making the event a success and our experience unforgettable.

After so many drives with the club, I became confident in driving as a part of a convoy or following a leading car. I rarely had the chance to choose a track for myself.

Before starting the competition, I had fixed feelings. I was partly excited and confident that I will be able to finish the event with a very good timing. On the other hand, was worried that I will not be able to make it out by myself.

Once it was my turn to climb the first dune to enter the EIB area, I made sure to make the climb properly and cross to the other side avoiding being crested. But once on the top, Abu Jimmy shouts stoooop! and here I am stuck on the first dune. It was all for them to give us their little gift (actually let us borrow it only) and make sure to return it intact.
Luckily, [mention]Sostick[/mention] decided to save me by pulling my car and giving me another chance to relaunch.

I was using the AlpineQuest application on my mobile (Thanks [mention]Phoenix[/mention] !)
The directions and coordinates were accurate enough for me to find my way through the checkpoints.

I went through the first 3 checkpoints with no problems. I then felt capable and had a boosted confidence. Right after I go the sticker from the 3rd checkpoint, I got stuck on the first dune heading tot he 4th checkpoint.
I had both front wheels in the air and not enough grip in the rear ones. But I refused to ask for help! I wanted to finish the drive by myself. So I reached to my shovel and started digging. After about 15-20 minutes of digging, and few jumps on the car to make sure it moves, I started the car again and here it was moving again!
The feeling I got after digging myself out of a stuck was better than the feeling I would have had if I would have finished first. I was so proud of myself.
I climbed back to my seat and my pride made me forget about the egg that was on the corner of the driver's seat. But luckily, It was stuck in the chair gently in a place where my ass did not each it.
So I continued to the 4th checkpoint where I remembered about the egg. That was the first time for me to be so happy to find an egg :D

At the last checkpoint, [mention]presa[/mention] told me this is your last checkpoint. Don't get stuck on your way out!
Well, I did not disappoint him.. I did not get stuck. Instead I got a popout!

So I rushed down to fix the popout just as I practiced helping fixing popouts on previous drives.
Few minutes later, I had the popout fixed and headed to the finish point!

I forgot what was my ranking. But I remember that I was able to finish the race safely and had a great experience and the confidence to drive alone in the desert.
Silver JKU

Photos Library: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ak91qy8CPVpq2lb8mb-QEeFFu3Ym
Lenny
Intermediate
Intermediate

Never too late to post a trip report! grin

What a day! thumbsup
It was a real fun day in the desert.

Thanks to all the Marshalls for putting this fantastic event seamlessly together.
I can imagine tons of hard work ,dedication, time, effort and planning goes into events like this and driving back in the dark alone to the meeting point was a testament to this among other finer details during the day , with the route clearly marked.
I felt confident to do this whereas in previous times I would have followed someone out.

Today each of us were put through a real challenge. Some of us breezed through and some of us dug our way through.
Either way I think everyone was a winner for having stepped up to The EIB challenge.
It was interesting to have all the training come out subconsciously.

I had my 1st stuck around 100m from the starting line.
I tried to dig my way out but was having no luck with the shovel. disappearing
I was on top of a crest, and momentarily stopped to navigate & I got sucked in, the sand was really soft & in hindsight I should’ve stopped at a downward incline.
Nevertheless I decided to keep digging amidst Friday afternoon rush hour traffic, until Abdul Rahman showed up & offered to pull me out. thumbsup
The rescue was swift and both of us were on our way in no time.

I then proceeded to point 1 collected my sticker from Joanna & on my way to point 2 I found Abdul Rahman stuck & proceeded to pull him out.
And then my old friend decides to join the party, hello pop out! OSMILEY
We proceed to fix my pop out and then parted ways.
Somehow the valve core got jammed all the way into the valve and was not visible from the surface & the air was escaping fast.
I thought I lost the pin but then realised it was stuck inside.
I quickly attempted to retrieve pliers & pulled the pin out.
Thankfully it cooperated and I was able to move along to point 2
Here I met Youssef and Rapaillo and collected my sticker.

I met a stuck member in a black FJ (apologies I don't know your name) on the way to point 3 and offered assistance but he refused.
So I proceeded to point 3 and collected my sticker from Gabor and moved to point 4.
It was fun navigating alone and I must say I really enjoyed it. grin
I had another bad stuck and all 4 wheels were 1/2 covered in sand.
By then most of the challengers had finished and time was almost up.
I was hopelessly stuck, zomg buried in sand and my final recovery for the day was done by Jock with Gabor and Rapaillo`s brother assisting.

We then proceeded to the finish line & after handing over my Egg and sheets to Abu Jimmy, I felt a feeling of accomplishment even thought I did not complete the challenge.
I learnt how to use my GPS and learned how precious my shovel is, in all the past drives I haven't given it as much love as I did today! in love

Congrats to all the winners & thanks to the observers & time takers who made this event a real success.

Another day well spent in the desert and as always I look forward to the next one. thumbsup
Chris Rothmann

Fun, Fun, and more Fun ....... is how I will describe the event, I loved it .......

All went very well for me until one point. I was fiddling with my GPS and got crested - and well crested - I might add, with all four wheels spinning freely in the air, with absolutely no traction at all, which attracted a few good chuckles/smiles from [mention]Agalon[/mention] , [mention]JockJKU[/mention] , [mention]Solmaz[/mention] and [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] . Well, I did try a few shortcuts and less physical tricks to get moving again, but soon realized that only "Goldie" (my spade) and a few calories would do the trick. With some great encouragement from [mention]Solmaz[/mention] , .... Goldie and I helped nature to move a dune from under my car to a new location (At least that was how it felt at the time) and eventually I got to the finish line. (Maybe a bit late but I got there)

This is why I enjoy these events and the trips with the group in general. Its not just getting from one point to the next, impressing one another or competing with the next person, its all about the experience and what you learn each time with a great group of people. And even if there is some competition between members, its always in good spirits. And best of all, there is never any negative or unpleasant vibe, its all just good safe fun.

Thank you to [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] , [mention]Shamsi[/mention] and all the organizers for a great day and compliments/appreciation for all your efforts that made this a memorable and successful event.

Chris