Dune Brave

delta83
Advance
Advance

as the trip name and tittle... it was really dune brave

we all met at tawi nizwa shop.. chit chating.. dinner .. final packing ...
we saw the big boys having their internal evil meeting to choose the destination hehe.. then lottary and picking up numbers.. mine was 4
all set.. and off dune bashing to reach the destination , all was ok... until i heard capri.. " Delta come to our side" .. stop to look around and opps .. stoped on a crest.. had to dig for a good 2 min.. 4L .. and patrol was back on track... i reached third...
man it was so fun to see all the lights going up and down... sometimes disappering ... doing circles ... lolol...

after everyone reach safe.. we went to camp site.. pink rock top ... great night with all members ... big high five to Strawb and Falasi "tonnnniiight" :P
around 2 am... we decied to go for night drive... big thanks for Alosh for the nice lead...

again... thxx almost 4x4 and all founders and members :)
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dunes Brave was 3 weekends all rolled into one ......

Part 1 - Solo Night Drive

We had the solo night drive to coordinates given by the marshals ...... i was lucky to pick number 10 as i was thinking i could see the tracks of the guys who went ahead of me but it didnt help at all ...... we had intervals of 5 minutes between drivers ....... eventually you lose the track and your on your own ....... it was an exercise that focused on your skills to multi task between reading the GPS ..... concentrating on where to go and find your bearing and at the same time trying to read the sand dunes with the lights you have ...... i got to the coordinates pretty early as i had the chance to sit with Capri, Yoghy, Delta and Nancy on top of the other side of Pink Rock ..... watching the lights coming from different directions ......

Part 2 - Lamboo Dune Cresting Drive @ 3am

The weather was fantastic as everyone was sitting and chatting in a big circle ....... Aloosh and Lamboo organized 2 different convoys ....... I joined Lamboo's convoy ...... composed of 5 cars namely Lamboo, Bu-Hamdan, Desert Lizard, Nancy (with Mazaaj as co pilot) and me with my XJ ....... Call it FAST .... Call it CRAZY ...... it was definitely an adrenalin rush when you hit and crash ridges in 3 in the morning with very low visibility ...... any "YES" .... Lamboo was fast!!!! ...... It was fun it was nerve racking and i will definitely do it again .....

When you become a marshal in Almost 4x4 ....... you can also be called a certified daredevil with cat like reflexes ...... every almost 4x4 marshal ive driven with and followed the lead in all of my drives with almost has given me a different taste of rush ..... true gentlemen and true sand warriors

Part 3 - Al Khatib's Ridge Crashing Dune Cresting Black Belt

The morning was another awesome drive led by our Al Khatib .... it was a drive from December 2nd to the shallow areas of AREA 53 ...... it was a rocking good drive as there was not a single stuck, pop out or breakdown ...... everyone was in there MOJO following the lead by AL Khatib ... it was sort of a trance as everyone was in the groove ....... cresting side sloping .... all the ingredients for a tottaly awesome drive .....

As always ..... It was an awesome weekend ..... Good Vibes ....

Cant wait for more

See you guys this weekend
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi guys

Yes, another great drive.

I have done very little night driving or solo driving..... so i was natural a little aprehensive.

I went off with the mind set that i would take it really slow and if in any doubt, i would stop and get out of the car and go have a good look. I brought a nice flashlight to help. Since my last night drive, i had installed a set of Dually2 lights on my windshield. They are angled at about 20 deg out. This helped dramatically.

Before departing, Al Shamsi and Al Khatib gave me some advice about always positioning myself at the top of the dunes, with the drop off to my left. This would make for an easier observation from the drivers seat. Very useful, thanks guys.

I found the drive fun and fairly straight forward, possibly due to the good lighting and slow steady pace i was making.

Once at the 'spot', i did the unthinkable and joined the '10 stupid things guys do' post from last week. I locked my keys in the car....... Thanks to 'the gang' who tried to get into the locked car and thanks to Gorgin for driving me home and back to fetch a spare set of keys. It was great to catch up.....

I was a little 'tired' and decided not to join the late night drive.......

The morning drive out was fantastic. As Strawb mentioned, everyone was in the groove. No stucks, no pop outs, no nonsense..... just fast dune cruising. I loved every min of it. Before the night drive Aloosh and i were chatting, he mentioned a technique of switching from one side of the dune over to the other in 2 steps rather than in 1 step. i.e. try stop on the top for just a second before dropping over to the other side. I tried this on the morning drive and it worked well for me. Thanks Aloosh.

Thanks Al Khatib for a great drive. I loved the night drive and the morning drive out of the sand was fantastic.
Every trip seems to have a slightly different focus and this helps with the learning process. Fantastic stuff, thanks.
Thanks to almost4x4 for another great event.

Regards
Paul