Enough is enough, I am taking my Pilot into the sand...

muhtar

@GeeZee: You are quite right about the car; that is why I am asking for advice. For the dives, lets target a dive trip to Fujeirah around early October. I have been there once, the visibility was terrible that time due to a windy weather yet normally should be a good spot.

@Melfi: Sorry to hear what happened to your car, I hope you would get a better car soon. Meanwhile, can you name any insurance company offering off-road insurance? I remember this topic was discussed in another car forum ending up it is not possible; I would like to know who is offering...

Thanks again guys. I will see you soon ISA...
Last edited by Phoenix on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
Melfi
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have AXA: they agreed to pay for everything except for the engine.
RSA also offers, but AXA was still much cheaper...

I have an FJ, so off-road cover is included automatically. Check with your current provider if they can do an extension. I would have thought that off-road cover was automatic for all 4x4s...
muhtar

Soooo....
Well, put aside how wonderful the Half Moon camping and Sand/Sun trip (on which I will write a long one when I have time a bit later); being the only Piloteers in the group here is my evaluation:

- My one is a complete stock one with 235/70 R16 Michelin Latitude Cross tyres.
- We set the tyres 13 - 15 PSI
- Honda Pilot (aka MRV) 2006 did fine enougharriving to the Half Moon camping area and during the CM trip.
- As I was warned before by Almost4x4 community, I successfully manage to chip down the unnecessary plastic parts: the plastic plate under the engine and around the wheels. Just a bunch of unnecessary parts mistakenly put by Honda, aaannd they are gone...
- Car may feel a bit underpowered at first, but if you manage to switch between the L and 2 with the pace she will do great. And make sure you hit the VTM button as necessary but not all the time... Yes, an L4 would be great to have but what I have got is still enough to catch up for a good distance...

Conclusion: Pilot is not a safari car, yes. A bit low, narrow tyres, and no Low gear. Yet I would say it is not as city-boy as it looks. I believe she will do fine in Newbie drives with a bit more care...I even could have saved the plastic parts taking care of those steep dives a bit more gentle.
I will be looking for a skid plate probably first, and then I will prove that Honda Pilot can survive the sand. (Or else I may prove once again how expensive the Honda parts are :D )

ONE IMPORTANT WARNING: Biggest factor in the success of this trip was the experienced Marshalls guiding us the best route for such cars. If you (I) try the same car alone in random sand, I don't see her cruising long. Do not underestimate Pilot, nor do not consider her as a proper dune bashing monster; she is NOT!!! Know her limits...

Thanks everyone...
And any other Piloteers around, please feel free to share your experiences.