Hello fellow scorpions! – New member

Carlos
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi everyone. I’m Carlos and I live in Dubai. Have been hearing a lot from Almost4x4 and a couple of friends recommended it, so here I am, looking forward to meet you in the sand and learn as much as can.

I have enjoyed with my family camping trips and off roading for several years, but for all purposes I’m a complete newbie driving in sand desert, so I’ll really appreciate any tips, comments and lessons from the community.

I still don’t have a ride at my disposal, but with a bit of luck will be ready by the end of this week. It’s a 3.5 LWB Pajero, and so far I have decided that a minimum number of modifications should be in order (again, all comments/heads up are quite appreciated):

• Extra set of road lights (two). What will be better, broad beam light for all around illumination or long beam?
  • Frontal skid plate. It seems the Pajero comes with one installed already, but I have no idea if its good enough or I need something more suitable.
  • Been hearing as lot about the back bumper issue from the Pajeros, so I’m thinking in attaching an aluminum short plate to prevent sand accumulation. Cutting or even removing the bumper is not an option since this will be at the end my wife’s car, so light desert driving is approved but not too much playing around or jumping.
  • Flag! What will be the best? A provisional setting, or a more permanent one in the rear bumper? Also, any suggestions where I can get one?
  • For what I have been reading in the forum, lots and lots of tools and gadgets to make the trips safe. A list mentioning the most important ones will be most helpful!

The car already has what seems to be decent recovery loops/attachments in the front and back, but again, no idea if they are good enough or I need something more robust.

For good or for bad, the number of modifications I can do to the car are limited since it’s the family car and wife’s future ride when she get driving license, but I have my mind set to get something in the future, a little more suitable, like a 96 Wrangler, or 95 Discovery.

Again, looking forward to meet you all and I hope to start as soon as possible with the newbie lessons. Sure looks fun. Thanks again!

Best Regards .

Carlos de León
Last edited by Phoenix on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hello Carlos and welcome to almost4x4

Before you go out and buy anything .... do refer to the below threads for reference as it may help you on how to spend your money wisely.

Cheers

http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... (2007-2013)

http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... ad-vehicle
Last edited by Phoenix on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAURUS

Hi Carlos

Welcome to the most professional Off-road club in the UAE...

Hope see u soon in Sand....
Last edited by Phoenix on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi Strawb,

Thank you for the links (and the welcome). They do contain lots of good information.

Of course I'm in the rush of doing modifications to hit the sand as soon as posisble, but not before I have talked with many of the comunity members and get advice and recomendations for serious workshops around Dubai / Sharjah, what is better or not, the bare minimums, etc. One step at a time.

That reminds me, how can I start meeting members and get info on newbie, 101 sand tips?

Thanks again!

strawb;30631 wrote:Hello Carlos and welcome to almost4x4

Before you go out and buy anything .... do refer to the below threads for reference as it may help you on how to spend your money wisely.

Cheers

http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... (2007-2013)

http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... ad-vehicle
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Once you see a CLUB MEMBER drive posted, do register and start the fun
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

Welcome Carlos, to the best Offroad Club in the Middle East! See you in the Sand soon :yaeh am not durnk:
Last edited by Phoenix on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.