Need Some Advise

Rumi
Club Member
Club Member

Hi
just joined the club and tried to create a new post. But failed. So, writing on this one.

Need some advise to start with. I am planning to buy an SUV, which would serve two purpose - (1) A nice comfortable ride for my parents (they are around 60), (2) take me to go offroad at least once every month. I have never driven serious offroad. I was checking out Chevrolet Tahoe Z71. As I cannot afford to buy two cars, I have to choose one that would serve both purpose. Any view?
Thanks
Rumi
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello Rumi

The car you mentioned above is powerful but it needs a little bit of enhancing before serious off-reading so you won't damage anything . We have a member has dodge ram .. which is really powerful too but he managed to hit the bumper before his left kit arrives

Good Luck and see you in the sand
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Rumi;7130]Hi
just joined the club and tried to create a new post. But failed. So, writing on this one.

Need some advise to start with. I am planning to buy an SUV, which would serve two purpose - (1) A nice comfortable ride for my parents (they are around 60), (2) take me to go offroad at least once every month. I have never driven serious offroad. I was checking out Chevrolet Tahoe Z71. As I cannot afford to buy two cars, I have to choose one that would serve both purpose. Any view?
Thanks
Rumi[/quote]
Hello Rumi, welcome to the club. Your choice is good, we can see Tahoe driving in the desert, mostly with tourists driven by good safari drivers, the car has enough power. For the newbie driver it is almost 90% guarantee to loose the front bumper at the first trip. On the other hand all American cars currently in production have a very short life-cycle, which goes approximately around 100,000 km and then they demand lost of money on spare parts. European SUV models are just for decoration, so it remains only one logical exit from the situation. Buy a Japanese off-road model.
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=caprihorse;7139] On the other hand all American cars currently in production have a very short life-cycle, which goes approximately around 100,000 km and then they demand lost of money on spare parts. European SUV models are just for decoration, so it remains only one logical exit from the situation. Buy a Japanese off-road model.[/quote]

Who can argue with this CapriHorse!!
Yoghybear
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Desert Lizard;7142]Who can argue with this CapriHorse!![/quote]

I have 35K remaining to reach 100K ..... then I will argue with him :011::011::011:
Yoghybear
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=alshamsi_m;7132]Hello Rumi

The car you mentioned above is powerful but it needs a little bit of enhancing before serious off-reading so you won't damage anything . We have a member has dodge ram .. which is really powerful too but he managed to hit the bumper before his left kit arrives

Good Luck and see you in the sand[/quote]

Hi Rumi,
yes is true what Bu Salem wrote, I am the one with RAM, and I managed to damage my front bumper
during Newbie trips, than I lifted the car (4"), I was upgraded Intermediate and Advance, and I managed
to finalize the job started when I was Newbie.....full distruction of the front bumper ....
Sarookh
Advance
Advance

[quote=caprihorse;7139]Hello Rumi, welcome to the club. Your choice is good, we can see Tahoe driving in the desert, mostly with tourists driven by good safari drivers, the car has enough power. For the newbie driver it is almost 90% guarantee to loose the front bumper at the first trip. On the other hand all American cars currently in production have a very short life-cycle, which goes approximately around 100,000 km and then they demand lost of money on spare parts. European SUV models are just for decoration, so it remains only one logical exit from the situation. Buy a Japanese off-road model.[/quote]

The above is 100% logical, practical and real. i add my voice to you :045:
Rumi
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks all for the suggestions... It seems the weight is moving towards Japanese cars :)
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi Rumi .....

another important factor you should consider is budget?

would you be looking to get brand new or would you rather go with a GOOD 2nd hand car?

the market is filled with very good pre-owned cars which are 35-40% cheaper than the brand new ones which would actually expand your choice of SUV

but with all that said ..... i'd still say GO JAPANESE :D
Rumi
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks... One small question ... Chevrolete is promoting Z71 version of Tahoe as offroad version. The front bumper is sligtly raised and different with skid plate in this version. It also has stronger air cleaner and suspension. This is why I was considering it over its more luxurious version LTZ. Do you think this would be of any help?