Toyota Hilux

C N Sreejith
Club Member
Club Member

Hi,

What's your opinion about Toyota Hilux Crew Cab 2.7L Petrol Engine Manual Transmission as an offroader in the desert?

I have been driven around by Omani drivers in the 2.5L Diesel version in South Oman (mountain terrain) and found it to be quite reliable and capable. I have also watched them in action on Youtube at Australia and Antarctica. But never seen a Petrol variant in action in the desert. I have seen 2.7L Fortuners and Prados do well during Gulf News Fun Drive, but not at a club drive. Do you think the Hilux would be a good choice?

Regards,
Sreejith
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=C N Sreejith;41380]Hi,

What's your opinion about Toyota Hilux Crew Cab 2.7L Petrol Engine Manual Transmission as an offroader in the desert?

I have been driven around by Omani drivers in the 2.5L Diesel version in South Oman (mountain terrain) and found it to be quite reliable and capable. I have also watched them in action on Youtube at Australia and Antarctica. But never seen a Petrol variant in action in the desert. I have seen 2.7L Fortuners and Prados do well during Gulf News Fun Drive, but not at a club drive. Do you think the Hilux would be a good choice?

Regards,
Sreejith[/quote]
Actually FJ and Fortuner is based on Hilux, it is the same body, same suspension. However Fortuner with 2.7L is showing a weakness in power. However it should be OK for Newbie and Intermediate drives.
Maddie

[quote=caprihorse;41410]Actually FJ and Fortuner is based on Hilux, it is the same body, same suspension. However Fortuner with 2.7L is showing a weakness in power. However it should be OK for Newbie and Intermediate drives.[/quote]

Chief, isnt the gear ratio different on the Hilux and Forutner? I've driven both but the Fortuner seems weak even onroad when compared to the Lux...