Nissan service contract

Jeff

Hello, gentleman.

I recently contacted Nissan to make an appointment for a 20,000km service. They offered me a service contract for three years or 20,000-70,000km.

The contract costs 7200AED and covers replacements for belts, wires, bulbs, and blades, as well as all associated labor, in addition to the typical service work of changing oil, replacing filters and spark plugs, etc.

I bought my Xterra new and it is covered by 5 year warranty. If Nissan services the car every 5000km and I pay for each service separately, I pay only 6455AED.

I fail to see the benefit of the contract package. Am I missing something, or is Nissan trying to sell me something I don't need?
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Generally speaking, every service with any dealer in this country you can call, just as an expensive oil change, where they charge you for oil, oil filter and oil bolt washer, valued at 7 Dhs (market price is about the same for 100 units) and many parts they invent you need to exchange, based on the mood of the service technician. The price is always linear with the level of inexperience of the owner.

Normally they keep all the parts intact during the warranty period, unless the car is brought in on recovery car, and they give you a very long list of the parts you need to change at a first visit after your warranty period expired, valued to the 50% of your car value.

Service contracts are no exemption from this practice, as normally you can make 30,000 km/year, it's just the way how to get faster the money from the consumer; at the end of such contract, they will still give you a long list of parts you need to change.
twelveten

For my toyota, I looked in the service manual and the minor and intermediate service were almost the same (on intermediate they lubricate the door hinges). I therefor do these services (oil changes) at adnoc (approx 110AED) and the major at toyota. Never had issues with warranty and the service receptionist said most people do this and it ok as long as the parts are original toyota. Toyota have only charged me for an extra window wiper during the last major service so dont seem to try and make up any lost money.
yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

Its very expensive at agency, 1 major service will cost max 2-3K in an average garage and Oil(Mobil or Castrol Fully Synthetic) for @10,000Km will cost 400Dh. Hence total cost will not be more then 5K if car don't have any major issue.
Darshan

AFAIK, for FJs you can opt for 10000Km oil changes and do your own oil changes at 5k. That is what i do. I got a battery replaced recently from futtaim and they did it without pain under warranty. They just looked at whether i service regularly and that was that.

As most of you already know the work that they do..i will refrain from commenting on that. I for one will never leave it to the techs. I have stood right next to the fj while being serviced, each and every time. That is how much i trust them. Sometimes they say it is not allowed and sometimes they just let me in...but i have always made sure that no one touches my car until i am watching!
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=macabre;15024]As you already have done the correct calculation, its just marketing gimmick by agency to get your hard earned money. I am driving Xterra for more than 4 years on road and little offroad too, with no maintenance contract. Other than agency service, Xterra doesnt require other maintenance cost, under normal conditions (For Xterra normal means offroad and onroad as well).
the only exceptional cost involved (in 4th year at 77k kms) was malfunction of some engine light alert light which cost around AED 1100.
And just fitted the new battery. (Thrice in 4 years)
Xterra is one of the best SUV with the most strong offroad capabilites. I w'd recommend to enjoy your drive without any agency contract.[/quote]
Thanks for your comment and on the other hand I'm sad that you paid (as many others) for nonsense regarding check engine light. I posted some time ago here - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nissan-O ... 7925483395 how to resolve check engine light at Nissan cars for free. Check for the post by page from 21 August 2012.

Sorry guys, it is not hidden advertisement, just a link to Nissan lovers page.