Matt vs glossy paint

salhinai
Advance
Advance

Hi buddies,

Now that I have the chance to reprint the whole car, I thought I will go with matt black since I love the way it looks. I spoke to somebody and they said that this type of paint is not so easy to maintain clean. Therefore, I thought I would put this to those who can advise and the decide. So the question is matt finish easy to keep clean or dose it require lots of time and effort to maintain?
look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks in advance.
Big Red
Intermediate
Intermediate

Unfortunately i do not know whether it is easier or not however i did own a glossy black car and when i compared it (when it was dirty) to other matt black cars the matt black seemed much dirtier than mine ... left outside for the same period of time ... in the same spot ..
CAMEL
Intermediate
Intermediate

I really don't know how difficult it would be to keep a Matte Black car clean.....But shinny, Impossible!!! Its Matte after all!!

The advantages if Matte are that small scratches and imperfections will not be visible...

But also you could think about the Foiling option retaining the original paint....They do it pretty quickly and cost effectively in Ajman, and if you don't like it or when you have to sell the car, you could just peel it off...

Also bear in mind that it needs a police permission to change the color, even from glossy black to matte black....
Yoghybear
Golden Member
Golden Member

I do not know what is the easiest to keep clean, but I certainly prefer the matt black :060:
Miss D
Intermediate
Intermediate

I agree with Yoghybear! :045: I see the Black Stealth coming on its way! woooohoooo...
Guess what? after u get it done... i will copy you and do the same... :005: remember we are TWINS!
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello salhinai

There are different types of Matt colors so I recommend that you go for the same number they used form Toyota for the FJ because it is a bit soft and does not stain like the normal Matt the do

Regards
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Normally, what you see here on the road as matte, is vinyl wrapping. You can easily change always your preferred colour or return to original.

Check this - http://www.carbonskin.co.uk/vinylwrapping.html
CAMEL
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=caprihorse;12034]Normally, what you see here on the road as matte, is vinyl wrapping. You can easily change always your preferred colour or return to original.

Check this - http://www.carbonskin.co.uk/vinylwrapping.html[/quote]

Thanks Capri for explaining correctly....this is what i meant by 'Foiling option'
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

Mat Black paint or Flat Black as is the proper name is very hard to maintain....even a bit of dust will make the car look dirty. You have to wash it every day or it will just look nasty.

The other major problem is that if you have a scratch or ding on any panel you cant have it touched up......the entire panel will have to be repainted.....costs a bit yeah !

And flat painted cars are a bit hard to re sell.......come time to part with it you will see a huge drop in its percieved value...I suggest you look at gloss paint options in some interesting colors that are not available on FJ...I personally would love to have mine painted deep "midnight" blue like they have on BMW / Merc and keep the roof white or a deep bottle green with white roof.

look on the net for pics of custom painted FJ's .....you will find a lot of wicked looking FJ's
FSL

Hey there, long time no speak :P
So you wana pimp your FJ, if I were you I'd go for something which is unique...
Matte Black or any dark Matte Color is hard to keep clean as it's already not shiny so just a bit of dust and you owe her a wash.

But then again, you want what you want.
I'd personally would like to go for a Gun-metal Matte color with black panels...

Here is how the matt black/flat black would look like.

[IMG]http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/a ... er-bf-.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8628 ... ruiser.jpg[/IMG]