Need (cheap) towing points to my ZJ aka Grand Cherokee '98

Black_Shrek

Wow...
Lots of noise, I hope this thread will be helpful for many ppl out there.
Regarding my towing points, just want to inform the concerns that I got the front hook from a donor of the same model, it was fitted on factory bolts to the chassis. Unfortunately my chassis holes for this one dont match, or it was too dark to see it... will re-check on another day. The rear I got is a trailer hitch, from a donor as well, just couple of nuts were missing, got them separately and its a bolt on install, no modification reqd. Hence the safety is #1 priority was meat. I hope even if I dont fit my front tow hook I will still be welcome? ;) and I should not be offended, right? for being assumed to fix a tow point for show off? Well I did feel some kinda offended, u kno...
Cheers and see you hopefully in the sands.
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

[quote=Black_Shrek;20793]Wow...
Regarding my towing points, just want to inform the concerns that I got the front hook from a donor of the same model, it was fitted on factory bolts to the chassis. Unfortunately my chassis holes for this one dont match, or it was too dark to see it... will re-check on another day. The rear I got is a trailer hitch, from a donor as well, just couple of nuts were missing, got them separately and its a bolt on install, no modification reqd. Hence the safety is #1 priority was meat. I hope even if I dont fit my front tow hook I will still be welcome? ;) and I should not be offended, right? for being assumed to fix a tow point for show off? Well I did feel some kinda offended, u kno...
Cheers and see you hopefully in the sands.[/quote]

Dear Black-shreck ,

I have been through this thread from the beginning , and i see no reason for you to " feel some kinda offended " , you have asked a question , and every possible help was offered willingly , starting with what kind of towing points you should have , and where to buy them , and ending with Strawbs offer to help in person .

This is our family and this is how we treat our family members. and regarding the comments you got about safety , be sure that its for your own good and other members as well , be sure that your vehicle is your equity and you are free to do what ever you want to it , unless its a risk of safety for you or others , mentioning a " cheap tow point " in thread address is a hazard to the eye of an experienced off roader , a flying tow point can do massive damage to human body and can even kill if it hits the head or any other vital organs. I assure you that you and other family members are not " cheap " at all , more ever humans are the most valuable factor in Almost4x4 , and that's why safety is our first concern . I am sure you will experience this firs hand when you drive with us .

Hope to see you soon on sand .
What goes around , comes around .
CAMEL
Intermediate
Intermediate

Just to add some information, it is not confirmed but i understand that any cutting or welding to the Chassis will not pass the RTA test during passing for registration.

So what ever it is, has to be secured to the already existing factory provisions with suitable bolts.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Black_Shrek;20793]Wow...
Cheers and see you hopefully in the sands.[/quote]

Once we will see your car, we will inspect it and say our judgement :038:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=CAMEL;20807]Just to add some information, it is not confirmed but i understand that any cutting or welding to the Chassis will not pass the RTA test during passing for registration.

So what ever it is, has to be secured to the already existing factory provisions with suitable bolts.[/quote]

It is confirmed, there is not allowed to do any welding or new holes on the chassis...
jehan
Club Member
Club Member

Black shreck from which junkyard did you get the rear hitch?
my dad's got a 5.2 V8 ZJ got it recently
its got a front recovery point but no recovery points in the rear
any specific junkyards i should look in?
admin

[quote=jehan;21158]Black shreck from which junkyard did you get the rear hitch?
my dad's got a 5.2 V8 ZJ got it recently
its got a front recovery point but no recovery points in the rear
any specific junkyards i should look in?[/quote]

you can fix Trailer Hitch

[IMG]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... E0wa9l1uRQ[/IMG]
Adventures League of Mountains, Oceans & Sand Thrills
Black_Shrek

Hi.
I know 3 places so far.
One its on my GPS so dont remember how to get there. :) That is the best one actually and last time been there they had like 20 ZJ full cars...
Second best is on BMW rd opposite TUBA (huge yellow building) called Al Barz. They dont have many body parts, but the most needed mechanicals (used) are there.
Third - I hated it they wasted half of my day without selling me anything is on same BMW rd before Al Nafoora washing station (3M is also there) you take right and in like 20 m right side there is barrier second shop on the left. Their prices are soooo high, but they have lot of stocks in their attick :) you need to be very good negotiator to get good price there.
Good luck!
Cheers.
jehan
Club Member
Club Member

[quote=Black_Shrek;21173]Hi.
I know 3 places so far.
One its on my GPS so dont remember how to get there. :) That is the best one actually and last time been there they had like 20 ZJ full cars...
Second best is on BMW rd opposite TUBA (huge yellow building) called Al Barz. They dont have many body parts, but the most needed mechanicals (used) are there.
Third - I hated it they wasted half of my day without selling me anything is on same BMW rd before Al Nafoora washing station (3M is also there) you take right and in like 20 m right side there is barrier second shop on the left. Their prices are soooo high, but they have lot of stocks in their attick :) you need to be very good negotiator to get good price there.
Good luck!
Cheers.[/quote]

Thanx AlKhatib and Black shreck for the prompt reply very much appreciated
Black shreck could you give me the coordinates to the first yard which is stored in your GPS
will be fixing a hitch this week:045: