Led lights

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Duck Commander;11840]Thanks DL and King of Capriland, Now I am becoming good newbie, and tonight I am going back to that electrician to F*** his A**[/quote]
--------------------------------
[ATTACH=CONFIG]714[/ATTACH]
Don't forget to use Durex :060:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=caprihorse;11841]--------------------------------
[ATTACH=CONFIG]714[/ATTACH]
Don't forget to use Durex :060:[/quote]
sure:023::011::008:
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi Guys

Thanks for the useful info.

Just a 'simple' questions to help me....

I have always read that the relays should be placed close to the battery. Why?
Is it just to keep relays and fuses in one place or is there a technical reason?

The reason i ask, is i want to upgrade my headlight and fog light wiring to get full voltage to the lights. There is a large voltage drop between the battery and the lights. About 3,5V on the hi beam of the headlights......i can't remember the exact number now. This equates to a very large drop in rated performance of the bulbs.

Where can you buy good quality automotive wire (of various sizes), fuses, fuse holders, relays etc.?

Regards
Paul
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=pwood;11861]Hi Guys

Is it just to keep relays and fuses in one place or is there a technical reason?

The reason i ask, is i want to upgrade my headlight and fog light wiring to get full voltage to the lights. There is a large voltage drop between the battery and the lights. About 3,5V on the hi beam of the headlights......i can't remember the exact number now. This equates to a very large drop in rated performance of the bulbs.

Where can you buy good quality automotive wire (of various sizes), fuses, fuse holders, relays etc.?

Regards
Paul[/quote]
Paul, don't listen to the rumours. The relay can be placed anywhere, in the cabin or in the engine compartment. It is the matter of quality copper wires and wiring itself.

When you have voltage drop in your current installation, it means:
  • you have the high resistance on the wires (rusted screws, improper material for wires, etc.) The proper way would be to measure impedance with Ohmmeter, between power source and light
  • your lights are wrong type and consuming lots of power and your electrical system cannot supply enough power. Standard halogen lights are not equipped with any electronics comparing with Xenon lights. If your halogen light bulb is 120W and you have 4 of them, your consumption is about 480W, which means 40A additionally to your standard current consumption. The standard alternator is giving charging power around 70A to the battery. It is not definitely calculated for improper installations. Logically the power drop of 3.5V is the result.
  • you can test the power of your installation, when your engine is running, switch on all your equipment including high beam lights, radio, fans, A/C, etc., disconnect the battery and see if your engine is still running... probably it will die... if you have the drop at the moment
We are not talking the science here, but basic principals of physical laws described by Georg Simon Ohm in 18th century.
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=caprihorse;11824]

Relay does not have a magnet, but a coil, when powered, produces magnetic field around. A definitions says: A relay is an electrically operated switch. Relays use an electromagnet to operate a switching mechanism mechanically.[/quote]

Thanks Capri, and I didn't want to get into the specifics of relays for simplicity sake.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Desert Lizard;11887]Thanks Capri, and I didn't want to get into the specifics of relays for simplicity sake.[/quote]
Good, but still you can contribute pwood's trouble.
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=pwood;11861]Hi Guys

Regards
Paul[/quote]

Capri cleared the grounds for me. As for your first question, you already know it does not matter if you use good wires and proper connections. I personally opted to keep the relays inside the car hidden from view, but not under the hood as not to expose the relays to engine heat and the elements. There are relays and fuses inside the car, and under the hood in a plastic box anyways so it really doesn't matter as long as they are properly protected from water.

Further, how did you measure the voltage drop? Apart from excessive load on the alternator, the battery itself may be faulty. Normally, a faulty battery will drop voltage supply when a load is placed on it.

As for where to buy quality automotive wires, I've had to fish through Sharjah industrial area to find good relays, wires and fuse holders at reasonalble price. Most of the wires labeled "Automotive wires" are too thin. I was able to score better wires from only one shop, and they only had red, black and yellow..

I think Dragon mall may have the goods, but I must go there some time
FSL

[quote=Desert Lizard;11894]I think Dragon mall may have the goods, but I must go there some time[/quote]
You're right DL, dragon mall has a huge variety of electric wires in different guage, colors and types.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Desert Lizard;11894]Capri cleared the grounds for me. As for your first question, you already know it does not matter if you use good wires and proper connections. I personally opted to keep the relays inside the car hidden from view, but not under the hood as not to expose the relays to engine heat and the elements. There are relays and fuses inside the car, and under the hood in a plastic box anyways so it really doesn't matter as long as they are properly protected from water.

Further, how did you measure the voltage drop? Apart from excessive load on the alternator, the battery itself may be faulty. Normally, a faulty battery will drop voltage supply when a load is placed on it.

As for where to buy quality automotive wires, I've had to fish through Sharjah industrial area to find good relays, wires and fuse holders at reasonalble price. Most of the wires labeled "Automotive wires" are too thin. I was able to score better wires from only one shop, and they only had red, black and yellow..

I think Dragon mall may have the goods, but I must go there some time[/quote]
Good post...
Ad wires... the best to use for audio at home cinema or car are copper, same as you use for your household, for your extension plug, with good teflon insulation, as thick as you can get in the market. Normally you shouldn't go the guys with car accessories, but to the guys with electric supplies and get thick wires. They might ask you the question about power ratings for the cable, the guys with car accessories will ask you 'what is your car model'...
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi guys

The volt drop is a known 'Jeep thing'
My Jeep is new so I have made the assumption that the battery , altenator and wires are all good.

i found some sites that walk you through the test. the best is:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... elays.html

Their test is voltage between the + on the bat to + on the bulb added to the voltage between the - on the bat and the- on the bulb.

I found another site that measured the voltage across the battery and the voltage across the bulb, the difference is the drop.

I got very similar results both ways.....

I want to buy 'the best' for my Jeep as these things are quite cheap......
I also want it to be a complete 'plug in' option that will be fully removable.

FSL, the wires at DM, are they REAL automotive wire?
Automotive wire has specs on their heat tolerance, chemical resistance etc, it is also much more flexible than industrial wire.... Usually with more, thinner strands of copper.

I am very capable of doing a FANTASTIC job....from a QC and tech prospective......hehehe
I just need the write stuff.

Thanks guys

Regards
Paul